Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need clarification on Short Code problem

FIXED
isdxman

Re: Need clarification on Short Code problem

I agree with your last thoughts.

I have just ported to PlusNet mobile for money saving reasons and had no-idea that they blocked the use of short-code texts before I joined the network.

That means that no-one on PlusNet can text any BBC radio station using their well known numbers such as 81333, 88291 or 85058....  very useful, not.

I used to regularly send texts to these numbers (when I was on O2) so tried the day after I "ported" to contact BBC using 81333.  Text showed as being sent but then gave a message which generally said "needs to be setup by service provider".  I could not believe that as when I ported, the tariff that you choose asks for (and gives a normal default that you can change of £10) an amount as a "cap" to any out-of-contract charges.  I sent off an e-mail to ask them to sort-out the problem and thought that was that, they would sort it out.

These BBC short-code text numbers are not premium numbers, they are charged as a "normal" text as if it were over the top of your text allowance of your tariff.

I have since received a reply that said, as mentioned further-up this post, that they do not support short-code texts !   I have checked whether their parent network (EE) support short-code texts...  and they do !   So it is not a network-wide problem.

So why doesn't PlusNet support them ?   I have asked for clarification from someone that should know and have asked for it to be copied to their COO or CEO.   I am awaiting their reply.

If it is "we don't in any case do short-code texts",  I will then be asking for my PAC number again and going back to O2.  This is all thankfully well within the 14 days to change my mind.

Best wishes all,

Ian.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Looking back on this thread and what I've said.

Short codes are not a bad thing, and a short cut way of being able to contact someone or an organisation is a good thing. Especially for people who may not being as physically as capiable as ourselves.

What I object to is that it is possible for networks to charge you for receiving texts. That should be banned, but of course too much £'s is made out of it so it won't be. Shortcodes are also used for premium services to charge you back onto your account.

Like when it happened to me, I was lucky I noticed. Sure most people would notice if your mobile bill was £10-20 higher than usual, but who would if it were £3? So a scammer only has to do that do x number of people and they're in the money.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's like many things in life: if you need to save ££, and can manage with fewer features, then you go for the cheap service.

If you *need* those features, then it costs more. 

You can't, I'm afraid have both!

isdxman

Hello Paul,

As you say, you cannot have cheap and functional...

It might be nice if they stated all the facilities that were missing from the setup in their adverts with the daft Yorkshireman !  Then you would know what you were actually paying for.

I am now going to "port-out" to a "real" mobile service again, where they have the normal "useful" things like Call-diversion and the ability to send texts to Short-code numbers.   Back to O2 and their dubious coverage again I suppose.  Vodafone is no-better where I live either.

It seems that all anyone wants you to use nowadays is "data" !   What about those of us that want to actually speak to people and use texts ?    A dying breed !

Time to get my PAC number now.   Wishing everyone well.

Best wishes,

Ian.

ronaldduncan
Dabbler

I just wasted a chunk of time working through the useful error message

message not sent phone number formatted incorrectly

After I went through a menu that explained that I might be charged for sending a message to a short code, which suggested the functionality was OK.

To find out that the reason was that PlusNet does not support short codes.  I get them from my bank to confirm transactions and rather than spending a day on the phone to the bank it would be nice to be able to text back Y or N.

Other virtual network providers like GifGaf and Virgin support these.  However plusnet does not, and the bit that annoys me is that plusnet buries this in the terms and conditions.  Rather than putting it in the FAQ so the people do not waste time trying to solve an unsolvable problem.

isdxman

Hello All,

I had a notification of Ronald's post, so I thought that I should reply to be polite to you all.

Thanks for the info before.  I have now ported back to a "REAL" MNO (O2) even though the signal is sometimes a bit pony where I live.  I will NOT be attempting to join any VNO in the future...  I will stay with the "big-boys".

As it happens, I have now got a much better deal with unlimited everything, so I am happy.

Best wishes to you all.

Ian.

strayfish
Grafter

The two key short code numbers I've needed to use and couldn't are the one to report fraudulent texts and, massive irony, to report a fault on the landline to Plusnet's owners, BT. This is ludicrous.