Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile service will not change !

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

Re: Mobile service will not change !

All works well for my devices on that IP range and regardless of how many times the IP address changes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

C1Rider
Grafter

John,
Before last week's change I was able to make ip protocol 4 connections to my Plusnet home broadband, now I cannot.
The only change was the move from 213.x.x.x to 31.x.x.x so I, rightly or wrongly assumed the change was responsible for the failure.
Regards..
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

I'm now totally confused - think i'll leave this to @pjmarsh 

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

So it’s only connecting to you own network you can’t do via your mobile connection?

I think we need more info on what it is you have setup and what isn’t working with it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

C1Rider
Grafter

PJ,

| So it’s only connecting to you own network you can’t do via your mobile connection?

No, I cannot connect to any other networks.

| I think we need more info on what it is you have setup and what isn’t working with it.

This link shows what previously worked and what doesn't work now.

< https://www.iana.org/assignments/protocol-numbers/protocol-numbers.xhtml >

The protocol in question is number 4.

I guess I have wrongly assumed ( again ! ) that someone at Plusnet could answer my question, after all, the heading on this forum includes the word  " technical "  hence the inclusion of the protocol that has ceased to work.

Regards..

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

@C1Rider, it was you who said "I was able to make ip protocol 4 connections to my Plusnet home broadband, now I cannot".

It is working for me on that IP Range on two different SIM cards, and no one else is complaining about this, so is likely to be down to your device or SIM card

No one from Plusnet has commented on your thread on this Community form

C1Rider
Grafter

PJ,

You are 100% correct quoting from a previous post of mine.

There has been two Plusnet staff responses to my question that I have replied to and nothing further.

Maybe I've been with Plusnet too long and it's time to move on when I can't get a straight answer to a simple question.

Regards..

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

You probably would get a straight answer to a simple question, but so far you haven't asked one.  You seem to have made some incorrect assumptions and used some non-standard terminology that no-one else knows about.  After over 20 messages on this thread I suspect I know what issue you are reporting, and if so someone may be able to help you.

Is your problem that data has stopped working on your SIM, though calls and sms still work?

C1Rider
Grafter

PJ,

Please enlighten me, the problem you mention just happened on another of my phones.

Regards..

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

What problem that I mentioned?  That data isn't working on your SIM, but calls and sms are?  The first thing I'd check is that you haven't exceeded your allowance (or that any additional usage hasn't caused your smart cap to be hit).  The next thing to check if that is all ok would be the APN Settings are correct

C1Rider
Grafter

PJ,

Not exceeded allowance

Not reach smart cap

APN settings correct for Android phone

Regards..

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I'd suggest calling Plusnet then.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

@C1Rider 

I've read through this thread a couple of times I would say it is not clear to me what your issue is. Parking IP 4 Protocol for now,  My Android phone can use two methods to connect to the internet

'Mobile Data' this would require the necessary permissions and availability of my chosen to work, which is Vodafone. The sim card holds the key for this service.

'WiFi' this uses a local wireless network which may or no be secure.

A mobile does not need a sim card for the WiFi connection to work, there will be no access to mobile phone calls and texting.

So for clarity which are you having an issue with Mobile Data or WiFi and which applications?

C1Rider
Grafter

Dan_the_Van,

" Parking IP 4 Protocol for now,  My Android phone can use two methods to connect to the internet "

My phone(s) are functioning the same as you describe above ; its ip protocol 4 that is not.

I think this has been done to death as it appears I am the only one who understands what has changed and that was evidenced this afternoon when another of my phones was changed from 213 network to 31 network resulting in the loss of data and my dual sim phone pinging me that my data sim had no connection, did I want to use my other sim ?.

I appreciate the suggestions/help from other users and in posing my original question I was questioning why I do not have the same functionality now as I had up until the change as the info from Plusnet regarding existing SIM card users told me that there would be no change.

Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe not, maybe Plusnet are moving all mobile users away from 213 network, maybe it is a security issue, who knows ?

Certainly not me.

Regards..

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

Very curious to what you are referring to!

So is it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_in_IP ?

Dan.