Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Data Usage

FIXED
tamulcahy
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Mobile Data Usage

Last month I received a warning, in good time, that I had used 80% of my data usage. Yesterday I switched to WiFi and thought I had switched off Mobile Data. I watched a news channel and fortunately immediately afterwards found that my Mobile Data was still on and I had used 100% of my data. Nine hours later I received the 80% warning followed immediately by the 100% warning and was charged for excess usage. My settings are such that if I have flaky WiFi I do not use Mobile Data. I have tried several times to contact Plusnet by phone and have been kept waiting for hours. Happily I kept my old phone number so it will be bye bye Plusnet mobile when I can get a phone connection.

14 REPLIES 14
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Mobile Data Usage

Hi tamulcahy!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

When you're close to reaching your Smart Cap limit, we do send automatic texts informing you of 80% usage and then 100%. We do advise that if customers do not wish to use Mobile Data at times, to turn this off via the handset or if left on, disable any apps that may be running in the background that would use up some Data allowance.

I'm sorry to hear that your Data has been used quite quickly, we do receive all information directly from the SIM card and although we cannot see exactly what the Data has been used on, this provides us with the information of how much Data has been used and when. 

We certainly don't want to lose you as a customer tamulcahy, if there is anything that we can do to help, feel free to ask away and we'll do our best!

- Rebeka 

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Surely you'll have exactly the same problem with any other supplier while paying more (perhaps for less data)?

tamulcahy
Dabbler

Thanks for that Rebeka. Last month I did receive the 80% text in good time. I repeat, yesterday I received the 80% warning nine hours after I had switched off the mobile data followed immediately by the 100% warning and an excess charge. Last month I received the 80% warning in good time and trusted that the this would happen again. If I had not noticed my mistake I could have run up a far greater bill. I know I can use an app to check the data usage but I trusted your timely warning. 

tamulcahy
Dabbler

Colin_Maybe. Not happened to me previously. Perhaps as an Aspiring Pro you should learn to read the post in full before replying. I was not complaining about charges  was complaining about timely warnings.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tamulcahy!

We do have a cracking new feature called 'bundle notifications' which you can add to the account. With this, you can receive daily or weekly notifications advising you of how much of your allowance you have left!

If you would like me to add this to your account, feel free to send me a Private Message and I'll certainly look into this for you. 

- Rebeka Smiley

tamulcahy
Dabbler

Thanks for that Rebeka. I can see how private messages work for some, but I would like to be able to phone the help desk to get advice. One of my issues in my original post was that the help line was not available yesterday nor today. You real need to solve this if you want to keep your high marks for customer service. The help desk for broadband was not a problem and I was directed to it via the help page here, however, when they redirected me to the mobile help desk I did not get through.

So for everybody even the ones who resort  to private messages

1. My complaint was for timely warnings.

2. The help desk response.

3. The excess charges I could have incurred if I had not noticed my data usage was 100%.

Many thanks to you all for your valued responses.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I do apologise tamulcahy, we have been experiencing a high volume of calls and we're working to answer queries as quickly as possible. 

I can see at the moment that there is no queue, if you call 500 now, I'm sure you'll be put through very quickly.

- Rebeka 

tamulcahy
Dabbler

Rebeka! I think I missed that window of opportunity. Must have heard the full repertoire of music by now.

I'll try again Monday.

tamulcahy
Dabbler

Fix

So I attempted to contact Plusnet mobile via phone on Sunday and twice I was told someone would call me back. It never happened. On Monday I had no connection whatsoever. I decided in the end to try  chatting to someone. On Friday I had been directed to the phone help line by a chat agent so I didn't expect success. How wrong I was, the agent took my details and offered me a 30 day notice or an immediate PAC. The agent could not understand why this could not have happened on Friday. It would have saved so much time and I would not have had to resort to this forum

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Could save a lot of us time if and when we see the “usage App” but I assume PN are STILL working on it, 7 months on.

Ashish

I tried sending you a PM but it says I am not allowed. Please do let me know how to get feature to find data consumed

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ashish,

Now that you have posted publicly, you'll be able to send a Private Message. 

Alternatively, you can catch us on our Live Chat feature over at www.plus.net or call us on 500 free from your SIM and we can add those Bundle Notifications onto the account for you straight away. 

- Rebeka Smiley

idasud

Hi Rebeka
I have the same request for keeping a check on my data whilst away in the caravan. Please could you set up the daily bundle notifications on my account for me. Likewise my wife's account - [Removed].
Thanks in advance Dave Sudds

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi idasud,

I have picked up your private message and I'll respond shortly. 

- Rebeka Smiley