cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage Inaccurate?

MacGee

Data Usage Inaccurate?

My data consumption this month is a lot higher than usual. Adding up all the data statistics that my iPhone gives, I get a figure that’s less than half the amount I’m alleged to have used. Is my iPhone using more data than it shows, or have Plusnet made a mistake?
3 REPLIES 3
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Data Usage Inaccurate?

Hi MacGee,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

Any usage on the SIM card is accurate, as it is recorded through your usage and sent directly to us. We wouldn't be able to see any particular websites or apps in which you have used, but we can see how much data was used on each day. 

I would advise to check your handset settings, as it has been found that updates are enabled to download via mobile data. If this is the case, it will use up alot more of your allowance. Also, certain apps on a handset can use more data allowance than others. It's best to make sure you have closed the app down entirely, as it can still run in the background continuously using data. 

If your using an app on your handset to track your usage, you need to ensure that this is set to your bundle refresh date however, we cannot guarantee that any third party apps will be able to provide you with an accurate reading. 

To view your usage sent from the SIM card, you can do so by logging into your online 'My Account', getting in touch with us or, we can activate a service called 'Bundles Notifications'. With this, you'll be notified on a daily or weekly basis of how much allowance you have left. 

If you would like me to get that service up and running for you, be sure to send me a Private Message with your details and I'll get the ball rolling. 

- Rebeka Smiley

MacGee

Thanks for your reply, Rebeka. I’ve had another look and the culprit is Flipboard; despite the fact that I hardly ever use it on the iPhone, it’s eaten up nearly 500MB of data in two weeks. I had no problem with it before I updated it - two weeks ago.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi MacGee,

It's great to hear you've pin-pointed what was causing it. 

It could be that the new updated version of the app uses more data allowance due to better features etc.. however, I'm unable to confirm this as we have no involvement with the app or its creators.

For more information regarding this, I would advise to contact the help services within the app itself.

- Rebeka