cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not activate mobile data network

db74
Dabbler

Could not activate mobile data network

Hello.  Hoping someone can assist with an issue which has only started since moving over to Plusnet on my Iphone 5s.  The phone works fine on Wifi but mobile data doesn't work.  I have checked the profiles, reset the network settings and even completed a full restore, but to no avail.  Plusnet believe its a handset issue and say to contact Apple, but Apple say it's a network issue and contact Plusnet.  The APN settings are not visible and Plusnet say that they can't check or force an update of these.  I've tried installing the APN settings but can't as one already exists.

Any ideas?  Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
db74
Dabbler

Re: Could not activate mobile data network

I forgot to say that I have already raised this with Plusnet who advised that I send screen shots of the issue to their mobile help team, which I did.  I received an acknowledgement last Wednesday that I'd receive a reply within 24 hours but to date have heard nothing!  I'm not that impressed with Plusnet so far, for a service which I'm paying for.

db74
Dabbler

Quick update.  After speaking to Plusnet again and being advised that the issue is with the handset, despite it working without issue with my previous non-Plusnet SIM.  I have restored the iPhone back to it's factory settings and it works fine.  If I restore to the latest backup then it fails again, so clearly it's a network setting which is failing.  I've asked if they can check or force an update for the APN setting, but been advised that this is disabled by Apple, although Apple say it's controlled by the network provider.  Unfortunately the only option appears to be to go elsewhere, as Plusnet as happy to continue taking my money but not support their network!

db74
Dabbler

I've been onto Apple who state it's a carrier problem and nothing they can assist with, although they were very helpful with a workaround solution to resolve the problem.  I've been from Vodafone to Talk Talk to O2 without any issues on the same phone.  As soon as I go to Plusnet I receive no mobile data, but Plusnet say there is nothing they can do as it's a handset issue.  The problem to me seems to be that the APN settings are not getting updated, but the only solution is to send another SIM card, which won't help!.  I have managed to resolve the issue, which took quite a bit of time to resolve until the early hours this morning by completing an iCloud backup, restore the phone back to it's factory settings and then restoring each app along with contacts and messages.  The mobile data now works, which goes to show that something was wrong with the settings from Plusnet.  Considering how common this issue is on Plusnet the response to say that it's a handset issue is unacceptable.   

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

The problem to me seems to be that the APN settings are not getting updated,

I believe you're correct.

I don't have an iPhone but from information I've seen on the forum it would appear that in some cases the PlusNet sim cannot override an existing carrier profile. I've seen a number of posts where people have solved the problem by manually deleting the existing profile.

This https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/01/18/how-to-remove-configuration-profile-ios/ seems to cover the process , and may well be worth trying before a complete restore.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

db74
Dabbler

Hello and thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately there were no profiles set within the phone, so a full restore was the only option, albeit a long one.  It would be good of Plusnet if they simply admitted the problems instead of firstly, not helping and secondly, to continue taking money for a service they cannot provide.

elhaxi

I guess for Iphone, you have to restore the default apn settings to get Plusnet working then try applying these steps. Hope it works!!

db74
Dabbler

Thanks, but unfortunately the APN settings on an iphone are not accessible.