cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls going straight to VM

vmgscot
Hooked

Re: Calls going straight to VM

Don't bother with the replacement SIM - solves nothing. Cut your losses now and move to another supplier. I moved to BT (same network as plusnet) and issues solved with same handset.
ed209
Hooked

Both of my parents are experiencing the same issue with their iPhone 6Ses. Spent a while looking at the phone settings then searched here. Disabled "Mobile Data" on the phones as suggested in multiple posts for the last ~18 months and incoming calls are received as normal.

Could we please have an official response as to what the issue is and what is being done to resolve it?

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi ed209,

Our 4G frequency band applies to data services only, not call and text services. Calls and texts are sent and received through 3G. If the handset is set to allow for 4G only, then this will prevent any calls from being received, as the handset will need to drop down to 3G to allow for this; you can check this within the handset settings themselves. 

This could also be in relation to the signal itself. It cannot be guaranteed as it can be affected by numerous factors such as, the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many people are using the network.

- Rebeka 

ed209
Hooked

Hello Rebekah,

Thank you for your reply. I see you have already posted something similar on other threads. I can only repeat what other people have already said, the iPhones are not "set to allow for 4G only" and it is nonsensical to try and blame this just on the handsets. I don't want to get into a discussion about VoLTE, different frequencies etc. The reality is that the phones are showing strong signal reception yet are unable to reliably receive calls. 

The large number of posts on this subject from people around the UK since 2017 show that this must be a statistically significant problem

If there is a systematic problem with Plusnet, where is the official support article and why is there no warning about this situation prior to people signing up?

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ed209,

We're not aware of any issues with the network regarding this. I would advise to ask the account holders to contact us directly on 500 free from their SIM cards or 0800 079 1133 and we can investigate this further. 

- Rebeka 

ed209
Hooked

Hello Rebekah,

You are aware of these issues because searching for "Calls go straight to voicemail" in the forum returns various threads, some of which you have responded to. I struggle to find someone who has had the issue resolved, the majority of people just seem to have given up and moved to another provider.

I will not ask my parents to phone the support desk to go through the rigmarole of typing in codes, replacing SIMs etc. when it is quite evident that this is a network issue.

Please escalate the issue with a view to resolving it or at minimum, publicising it so that people can make an informed decision before joining.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ed209,

We do pick up and respond to any issues put forward to us here on the forum however, this is not a widespread issue across the network. Each report is dealt with on a case by case basis and in some circumstances, issues that arise need a further and thorough investigation in helping to resolve it. 

I'm unable to escalate this or look into any potential problem without looking into each individual account, nor can we investigate further without contact from the account holder themselves. 

I understand your frustration regarding this but without contact, we cannot look into this any further. I would advise for the account holder to get in touch with us. 

- Rebeka 

ed209
Hooked

Hello Rebekah,

I understand your position but for such a long running series of threads, I am not seeing many (any?) satisfied customers.

I'll open it to the community. Has anyone with this issue called the Plusnet Support desk and had it resolved definitively?

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath. 😞

mainplus

HI ed209

I am in a similar position with my wife's phone.  There is no way I am getting her to call 500 and be put through the palaver that others in this thread have been subjected to.  It would either result in a shouting match with the poor support person or my wife breaking down in tears, or her throwing her phone away.

I concur with everything you say and I find it very concerning that PlusNet support should be taking this stance when it is so obviously a non-handset issue.  PlusNet appear to be part of BT these days and use the EE network.  I have other phones with both of these providers, set identically, and do not get the same issue.  It has to be something specific with PlusNet.  

Given that PlusNet make such a big noise about their support in their adverts it is incredible that this situation has gone on as long as it has and they are taking the stance that they are.  To say that they refuse to escalate the issue is pretty much unforgivable and should not be the responsibility of anyone in support to make such a decision.

I wonder what the ombudsman would make of this approach.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mainplus,

We're more than happy to investigate this further but to do so, we do require our customers to contact us so we can access the account and troubleshoot further. As advised previously, we treat each case individually and provide support for any issues that have risen. 

I would advise to get in touch and we'll certainly look into this. 

- Rebeka 

mainplus

I would have thought that this forum counted as "getting in touch".  Are you saying that you will not consider any problems that are not raised via 500?

I would prefer to deal with a problem such as this using a media where we both have a record of the discussion and the actions taken.  I do not believe voice is appropriate in this instance.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mainplus,

I can assure you that this isn't the case, we'll certainly help with any queries via the forum however, we do have to advise that the community is not an instant messaging platform and therefore, we cannot guarantee an instant response.

We advise customers to contact us via 500, as this is a much faster method of contact. You can also contact our Live Chat Team for instant communication; chats are recorded and can be emailed to yourself. 

Alternatively, you email into us at mobile-help@plus.net but unlike the above, this is not instant and the response timescale from the Team is 24 hours. 

- Rebeka 

mainplus

Thank Rebeka

I get that the forum isn't an instant messaging platform and I'm not looking for an instant response or solution.  However, this issue has been raised in this tread alone for 4 month and I have seen other threads that go back far longer.

The problem with contacting you individually means that the community has no way of knowing that this is a long standing issue and leaves customers feeling that they alone have the problem. By raising the problem in the forum it gives both yourselves and other customers the ability to...

- understand the wider problem

- understand how widespread the problem is

- pick up on any workarounds or solutions (I would have switched top another supplier if I hadn't picked up the "turn off 4g" workaround on this forum.

- see and implement a solution as soon as it becomes available.

I can only see benefits in the use of the forum to track a problem such as this for customers and  PlusNet alike.

If there is something specific you need to understand from a customer, is it not their choice as to whether they post it here and potentially have to wait longer for a response, or call you direct (especially if the info may be personal in some way)?

Does anyone else on the forum feel as I do, or am I just being curmudgeonly and I should just get off my high horse and contact direct?

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

mainplus,

It certainly is the customers choice as to which method of contact they would like to use when getting in touch with us therefore, we like to inform customers of response timescales via the different platforms. This way, our customers know what to expect and can gain the best experience for their needs. 

- Rebeka 

ed209
Hooked

@mainplus I agree with you. It is clear that numerous people have contacted the Helpdesk directly over the years about this issue. We'll gladly contact the Helpdesk and jump through the hoops if there was even the slightest hint that they could resolve the issue. Nothing in the comments from the Plusnet CSAs indicate this and we're still waiting on a forum member letting us know their success story......