cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox one uses IPv6

benoh
Grafter

Xbox one uses IPv6

Cant be bothered to respond to the previous thread, im pretty sure someones trolling given that it hardly made any technical sense.
Anyways, at NANOG today Microsoft announced that the new Xbox one will use IPv6 for its online game play
http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2013/10/microsoft-the-best-xbox-one-gaming-experience-...
Will fall back to tunnel it over teredo, but thats going to give a pretty sub standard gaming experience, we already see teredo failure rates of ~40%
https://labs.ripe.net/Members/gih/testing-teredo
http://www.potaroo.net/presentations/2012-04-17-dual-stack-quality.pdf
Hopefully this should kick start some more ISP native IPv6 deployments Smiley
Ben
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Xbox one uses IPv6

Thanks for that, as it answers my question (Reply #94)  from a few weeks ago in "the other thread".
[quote=purleigh]I can't figure out why the Xbox 360 console hasn't got IPv6.  There are so many people with games consoles complaining of NAT problems, or port forwarding issues, or more than one console on the same broadband connection, that if these consoles could use IPv6 then those widespread problems would be solved.  The website xbox.com is already IPv6 capable, and presumably Microsoft make a lot of money from subscriptions to Xbox LIVE - so Microsoft have an existing and ongoing revenue stream whether gamers upgrade hardware or not.
Now I just need a Microsoft update for the Xbox 360 to enable IPv6 !  Roll_eyes
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I suspect that Microsoft will want you to scrap the obsolete 360 and just buy a shiny new 'one'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that will never happen, as we have got too much invested in the existing Xbox 360 games.
However, we would consider getting more Xbox 360 consoles (second hand from eBay), so we can have more people playing.
I would say to Microsoft, give us IPv6 to make connecting more consoles easier, and I will in exchange pay the yearly Xbox Live subs.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=BBC News]Microsoft will launch the Xbox One, its latest games console, on 22 November.
It will initially be available in 13 countries - UK, US, Ireland, Canada, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Austria, Brazil, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand.
Will Plusnet have native IPv6 by 22th November ?    Lips_are_sealed
avatastic
Grafter

You can pretty much guarantee that XBone won't use privacy extensions, and this will be used to make banning consoles from XBLive even easier as the IPv6 address will contain the MAC address of the console.
Colour me cynical  Roll_eyes
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

xbox has been running Teredo tunnels since the day they first launched xbox live, its why junk routers insisted on port forwarding being enabled in order for connections to work .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I look forward to seeing if/how this might spur on the ISP industry to go up a gear (or even start the engines in a lot of cases I'm sure!).
The gaming community is huge, and worth an awful lot of money - in my experience they tend not to be ones to let anything get in the way of what they want either so if Microsft say their XBox One will work better over IPv6 then you can be sure they'll do whatever it takes to get it. Sure, Teredo tunnels will get them halfway there but when the awareness of the benefits of native IPv6 gets around that's what they'll be demanding.
We've had several technologies that rely on IPv6 (many from Microsoft for some reason!) but I think we might've just found ourselves the first IPv6 'killer app' in many people's (gamers at least!) eyes... If true, given that ISP's have had 18 years warning to plan for such an occasion it'll be interesting to see which ones fail to grasp the opportunity to increase their customer base and in a near-saturated market they can't all be winners.
nanotm
Pro

the cynic in me would lean towards them owning the protocol or otherwise gaining licence fees from its use, but I prefer to believe its being done for altruistic reasons, like the benefit of every internet user if full ipv6 implementation is gained and ipv4 is fully ditched (because running a single system is always simpler)
and lets face it if more people have better connections to gaming servers they control there going to get far more cash every month  Wink
MJN
Pro

Yes, it could be a win-win situation, apart from for those that lose.
(Look - you've got me doing the confusing posts now!  ;))
nanotm
Pro

well if they cant adapt and overcome they deserve to be extinguished .........
besides I know you enjoyed that
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Sony seems to be keeping quiet about it's PS4 and IPv6.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MJN
Pro

They might try to spin it the other way and make a point of saying that the PS4 doesn't need IPv6 to work well!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Sony has remained oddly quiet about the PS4′s IPv6 capabilities. I would be very, very surprised if the PS4 does not support IPv6 ....assuming the PS4 hardware and operating system support for IPv6, you should at least see a reduction in latency by moving to IPv6 on your PS4.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/168394-xbox-one-will-be-best-experienced-with-ipv6-how-do-you-g...
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nanotm
Pro

according to some posts within the psn forums the ps4 was going to be released without ipv6 compliance but sony might be rethinking that
I don't know if that's just speculation/ google translate getting it wrong/ confirmed by a rep
to be honest I can only see them withholding support if it was a licencing issue and not wanting to pay someone else to use it, and we do see all to often patent troll examples of them clawing money out of each other (tech companies) particularly if there market share seems to be dipping....