cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We want IPv6

coofercat
Hooked

We want IPv6

Having looked on here, I too contacted support via webchat. I asked if there was any IPv6 offering, and all I got back was "we don't have any information on that at the moment". I went on to ask if there was someone else I could contact (CTO, Head of Networks, etc), but was told "we don't have any information on that at the moment".

So I thought I'd ask here... does anyone have names/details of any higher-ups at Plusnet? I can write a paper letter or email or two and see if someone can actually give us a statement, or better yet a commitment to when we can get IPv6, even if only on a "public beta" or something for now.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Re: We want IPv6

Given the amount of noise about this, I really can't imagine TPTB not being aware of the demand. The fact that it's not arrived yet, despite all the noise from a few years ago when the trials were on, suggests one (or both) of two things :

1) It's turning out to be "more complex" (translation: "difficult") than expected welding the extra functionality right through the network and (more importantly) the support systems. The networking bit is probably fairly easy, it's all the management systems, troubleshooting & monitoring systems, support portal, helldesk training, etc, etc that's hard - or at least requires a lot of investment.

2) Senior management don't consider it a priority and aren't providing the funding to make it happen.

Don't expect an admission on either of these - it would be a PR opportunity for their competitors. Just think of the variations of "Yorkshire stuck in the 20th Century" puns you could come up with, not to mention (if it's not being funded) the stereotype of the Yorkshireman being hard to part from 'is brass Grin

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

There is a trial of it, but I believe it is full.
Have a look at the top list under trials. (on the forum)
coofercat
Hooked

Thanks - I heard about the trial, but no, one can't (evidently) join it.

My point here (I think) is to help the higher-ups understand that there *is* demand for this, and that they *do* have to fund the necessary support and documentation work.

I found a petition linked in one of the forum posts - it's only got about 30 odd signatures, so not exactly compelling to Plusnet's management. However, I'm willing to bet that if 30 of us all wrote letters to the CTO, CFO, CPO?, or whomever then they'd at least be aware of our existence. It might change nothing at all, but it feels like a start. Even this forum (I'll bet) isn't ever looked at by anyone more senior than a Community Manager - ie. no one that is involved in, or can influence the decision making.

I do rather like the idea of "Yorkshire ISP stuck in 20th century" though. If I do get to writing letters, I might steal that off you 😉

SimonHobson
Rising Star

@coofercat wrote:

Thanks - I heard about the trial, but no, one can't (evidently) join it.

AFAIK they actually ended the trial. They ran two, the purpose being to find out a bit about how their systems would cope and what would be involved in managing it.

I believe the first one was really a technical endpoint thing - to find out how customers' routers would interact with their access infrastructure and such. The second one was a bit higher level, and IIRC was basically running the network as they envisaged the final service would work - but manually configured/provisioned and without any of the management systems behind it.

When they'd got the information they were after, they closed the trial down so it wouldn't interfere with ongoing work to get the real service up and running - which was expected "real soon now" several years ago. It's all gone very quiet since then.

I do rather like the idea of "Yorkshire ISP stuck in 20th century" though. If I do get to writing letters, I might steal that off you 😉

You're welcome.

For a list of company directors (not quite what you asked for), it's available at Companies House free of charge. Interesting that the CEO and accountant both changed in 2014.

brueton
Grafter

The second trial is ongoing. I joined it approx. 2 1/2 years ago.
Seems to work as long as you are not on a BNG gateway. Don't know about the new network, which I suspect had a higher priority.
chrisjbell

Most PlusNet subscribers will not have a clue about IPv6, were you given much information on what to expect? I would appreciate some notice of my eventual address prefix, even an hour would help, but most people would probably appreciate a reference to documentation. I have tried to provide some info on my website with a link to tldp.org, and requested some general info from plusnet on their website,.