Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic prioritisation and usage monitoring for IPv6

DougMa
Grafter

Traffic prioritisation and usage monitoring for IPv6

Merry Christmas!
Plusnet team,
Can you confirm if traffic prioritisation and usage reporting is functional for IPv6 traffic?
I've noticed that the usage figures reported under the IPv6 test account are lower than those recorded by my router.  The difference is pretty big, which would make sense if it's down to IPv6 since I'm streaming from Netflix over IPv6.
Doug
5 REPLIES 5
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Traffic prioritisation and usage monitoring for IPv6

Hi
Merry Christmas to you.
Last time I checked, no the DPI equipment needs a minor software update to enable the IPv6 functionality.  Its possible the packet marking is enabled however the full prioritisation and then VMBU tracking will take longer.
Hope that helps.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
dragon2611
Grafter

Interesting Suprised the usage tracking isn't based on the radius session for the PPP  Shocked
Melancholie
Grafter

Given each and every byte goes through DPI easier to just have that counting the traffic rather than running interim accounting in addition to the DPI I guess.
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi
We do use RADIUS accounting packets for some monitoring of data but not to the levels you are talking about.  The VMBU page is generated from the DPI data as it needs to be split into different traffic types.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
dragon2611
Grafter

Ah fair enough, my account just shows peak vs offpeak usage but with no breakdown of traffic type.
dick:quote