Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up IPv6 on a WRT54GL

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Setting up IPv6 on a WRT54GL

Hi All
I hope that you can help, I want to set up IPv6 using a Virgin Media Super Hub, I have put the Super Hub 1 (Netgear VMDG480) in to modem only mode, I have the Super Hub connected to my Linksys WRT54GL router, my main computer is connected by Wi-Fi, the main computers OS is Windows XP, the main web Browser is Mozilla Firefox v22.0
It looks like I am going to have to use a IPv6 tunnel as Virgin Media Super Hub 1 plus Super Hub 2 and Virgin Media do not support IPv6, Virgin Media was meant to be rolling out IPv6 in 2012 what came and went, so what I need to know is how do I set up a IPv6 tunnel on the Linksys WRT54GL router?
That is if the Linksys WRT54GL router supports IPv6
My motivation for doing so is learn how IPv6 works, unlike someone on here who will remain nameless.
Can you tell me how to do it step by step please!   Embarrassed
5 REPLIES 5
pwatson
Rising Star

Re: Setting up IPv6 using a Virgin Media Super Hub

I don't think the WRT54GL supports IPv6 with the stock firmware so you'll need to install something like DD-WRT on it to get this working.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/IPv6
Suggest you change the thread title to 'Setting up IPv6 on a WRT54GL' to get more replies?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Setting up IPv6 using a Virgin Media Super Hub

@'Midnight Caller' - what hardware version is your WRT54GL ? (see the label on the underside)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Re: Setting up IPv6 on a WRT54GL

@pwatson, Thank you,  I will have a look at the link.
@purleigh, I will pull the router out tomorrow and see what is on the label.
Anonymous
Not applicable

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Great to see somone else jumping aboard!
Whilst I'd certainly recommend persuing with flashing the Linksys to support IPv6 - as this will give all capable clients access - you may wish to consider setting up a tunnel endpoint on your PC either in the meantime or outright if single device access will suffice.
The exact method depends on the OS, but some instructions (albeit somewhat concise) for Windows can be be found here. (As it says, the commands customised for your circumstances will be given when you sign up).