cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile issue?

David_W
Rising Star

Profile issue?

Today I was upgraded to ADSL2, speed tests seem to bring up an issue.

The way I see it is that my IPV6 profile is faster than my IPV4 profile, or it could be that my IPV4 profile is taken from my normal user account profile and the IPV6 profile is taken from the IPV6 account profile?  Either way there is a difference in speed between the two which popped up on the switch from ADSL to ADSL2.  The two speed testers show pretty much the same results for the IPV4 result.
10 REPLIES 10
mxs
Grafter

Re: Profile issue?

Experienced the same thing also - I assume the profiles are hardcoded for the test accounts since they are separate from our normal accounts (at a guess the ipv4 profile is hardcoded to 7.5Mb or so and the ipv6 one is unrestricted or set to a fairly high figure).
David_W
Rising Star

If you log in to the member centre with your IPV6 login details you can check your profile, it's set at 21Mb which does seem to be applying to only the IPV6 side, possibly.  Adam fixed my profile earlier on my standard account but I'd played with my router too much and my SNR went up to 10 which dropped my speed, though going from 8Mb to 11Mb isn't the boost I was hoping for anyhow  Cry
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Lo all... We update your profile on our side by matching your circuit ID (CBUK / BBEU) to a delta report. The IPv6 test accounts have no circuit ID associated with them as there is no line provisioned for each. As such, they stick on the default 21mbps profile Smiley
I just ran a speed test and got 7mbps on IPv6 and 2mbps on IPv4! I'm not entirely sure what could be causing that; IPv6 traffic receives fewer restrictions through our Ellacoya platform so I would expect some increase in speed on IPv6.
David_W
Rising Star

Shouldn't mxs's be at 21Mb speeds for their IPV4 speed tests?  They are getting the same speeds as me which I think are just above ADSL levels but very much below the levels they get on their fibre line for the IPV6 results?  Of course, it could actually be an issue with the speed tester itself, it's broke for me now, maybe I used it too much.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our profiling (i.e. BRAS profile matching) is applied exactly the same to your IPv4 / IPv6 traffic if you're connected with an IPv6 test login.
If you reverted back to your normal ADSL username then that will have a profile set - for the FTTx customers it's quite likely that this will be higher than the 21mbps profile of the IPv6 accounts, for ADSL customers it's almost certainly less.
IPv6 traffic is treated slightly 'better' by our Ellacoya system and so some small increase in IPv6 speeds could be expected at peak times. However, large discrepancies are quite strange. However, the network has been quite out of balance today and I believe there are still some issues hanging over us (I'd link to a service status but one hasn't been posted yet, give it 10 mins and take a look - I'll be out of the office!)
mxs
Grafter

The speed test I did was definately via the ipv6 test login and was done some time ago (end of May going by the date on the speed test image).  Will have to get my spare box hooked up to run a fresh test when I get a sec - my current linux router box does not play nicely with ipv6 quite yet.  Undecided
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I was talking to Dave about the differences in speed and he thinks that it's probably down to routing that IPv6 takes compared to IPv4 as well as the differences in the way the packets are transferred.
Jojo Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

I've done a bit more testing, I logged in using my normal F9 user details and ran a speed test (IPV4) the results:

9620.30 Kbps ( 9.4 Mbps )
I then logged into the IPV6 account and ran the same test:

7181.38 Kbps ( 7 Mbps )
So 2.5mb difference, there really shouldn't be any, I'm on an 11Mb profile with my normal account and a 21Mb profile with the IPV6 so the results should be the same but it does appear that the IPV4 profile on the accounts is limited to 7Mb, I couldn't test this before as I was on ADSL but now I'm on ADSL2 I can see the difference and by logging into both accounts I can show the difference.
The tests so far do show that even on Fibre the IPV4 is not using the correct profile (maybe).
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Attached is what happened on 80/20 FTTC when I used the IPv6 trial login for the first time last night.
The IPv6 speeds are about what I'd expect, IPv4 (down) is 'in the sevens' like others.
I have requested a profile change on the IPv6 test to match my normal profile which has kindly been done, will test after work this evening.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That certainly looks more like it!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.