cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet alternatives with IPv6

jedi98
Grafter

Re: Plusnet alternatives with IPv6

Well... I don't object to paying for a service to be set up but I do object to being ripped off for it.

Now back to the original thread. The sixxs site maintains a list of native ipv6 isps, now how suitable these are to any given needs, maybe they are not aimed at residential etc., but here is the link anyway for those who may need to research the matter: -

https://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=native&country=gb

CrashM85
Dabbler

I have been using HE IPv6 tunnel with a ClearOs router (some manual config required) for a few weeks now and it seems to be working pretty well.

https://www.tunnelbroker.net/

SimonHobson
Rising Star

Yes, I think lots of us are still using HE tunnels. It would make more sense to have native support from our ISP though.

seanyoung1

Hi

Yes, I'm using he tunnelbroker too but it's not ideal. Traffic is routed indirectly (always through he.net rather than directly from plusnet) so that introduces extra latency and a dependency; the tunnel stopped working a few times over the last 5 years since I've used it and all I could do was turn off the tunnel and disable ipv6 advertisements on my local network until it worked again. Lastly it could be used (in theory) for a man-in-the-middle attack.

Generally the he.net tunnel has been pretty good but plusnet should be providing this service and they're just dragging their feet for as long as they can get away with.

CrashM85
Dabbler

I completely agree. If BT Retail and sky have it, Plusnet should too!

Plusnet used to be a leader of new tech, now it looks like they have just given up.

matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Also using HE tunnel here. Was curious as to how much overhead it adds, and as far as latency is concerned, Google is only 2ms further away (16ms as opposed to 14ms). The data overhead is 20 bytes per packet sent (which can be up to 1500 bytes)

The main place you may end up noticing a difference (and this is where Plusnet will feel it too) is that you won't be able to use any CDN infrastructure they have. So if you're watching something on Youtube (for example) then over IPv4 it could possibly already be in Plusnet's network so it doesn't use their external bandwidth, but routing through HE obviously means it will have to come in from elsewhere.

Not personally noticed a difference, and can definitely recommend using a tunnel

geofb

Sky's press release today:

Sky today announces that over 90% of its broadband customers are now IPv6 enabled, future-proofing its network for millions of customers.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky-completes-roll-out-of-ipv6-becoming-the-fi...

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Aquiss offer IPv6 (a /56 block), unlimited FTTC and a static IPv4 address (or a /29 if needed) so presumably all Entanet resellers can provide this as well?

seanyoung

So I've moved to zen internet and have been using IPv6 since the day I switched. I've unregistered by hurricane electric IPv6 tunnel with the option "no longer needed, isp supports ipv6".

geofb

Thanks Sean. I also moved to Zen for IPv6. Using he.net for rDNS.