cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear WNDR4700 Experience

gladman
Grafter

Netgear WNDR4700 Experience

I am starting this thread as a focus for experience in using the IPv6 features of the Netgear WNDR4700 router.  Here is a summary of my experience so far.
The IPv6 configuaration page offers the following connection types: Disabled, Auto Detect, Auto Config, 6to4 Tunnel, Pass Through, Fixed, DHCP and PPPoE.
Only the last of these (PPPoE) offers a login/password seperate from that used on IPv4. But putting in the test account details while leaving the IPv4 login details set to my normal account connects to the latter.  So far I have not found a way of setting the router to give priority to the IPv6 login over the IPv4 one.  Setting the IPv4 details to the test account seems to connect to the test account in IPv4 mode (i.e no IPv6 address is allocated and the test sites only see IPv4).
Setting the IPv6 connection type to Auto Detect gives a IPv6 connection type of "6to4 Tunnel" and gains an IPv6 address.  The site http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ipv6/ reports: "You are connecting to us using IPv4" with the test results:
Test with IPv4 DNS record
ok (0.140s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record
ok (0.125s) using ipv6 6to4
Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6
bad (0.079s)
Test with Dual Stack DNS record
ok (0.110s) using ipv4
Test IPv4 without DNS
ok (0.062s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 without DNS
ok (0.015s)
Test IPv6 large packet
ok (0.109s) using ipv6 6to4
It rates the IPv6 capability as 7/10 and suggests that I should ask PlusNet for a native IPv6 connection.  The router's IPv6 page does not allow DNS servers to be manually set (it only allows a choice of auto or DHCP) and it appears that it is using the auto configured IPv4 DNS servers and hence reports no IPv6 capable DNS.
http://ipv6-test.com/ reports that my browsers prefer IPv4 but says that I have a good IPv6 capability via a 6to4 mapping to an IPv4 address.
The "IPv6 only" test on the http://testmyipv6.com/ site fails with a 'could not connect' message.
I have attempted to find out from Netgear how to set the router to give priority to an IPv6 configuation over IPv4 but have not had any response so far.
  best regards to all,
      Brian
13 REPLIES 13
brueton
Grafter

Re: Netgear WNDR4700 Experience

I think you need to try replacing your existing username and password with the ipv6test one and not setting up a second login.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Definitely. The trial credentials are for an account that is both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled.
For the IPv6 configuration, whilst one would hope one of the Auto settings would suffice if it is settling on 6to4 that's not really what you want. I'd probably force it to DHCP as that is how PN are assigning prefixes and DNS details (IP6CP over PPP is only being used to assign a link local IPv6 address to enable next-hop routing) although I stand to be corrected if this observation isn't quite right.
gladman
Grafter

Thank you both for your feedback.  
I soon realised that I needed to remove my normal account details and the results I gave above are for both the IPv4 and IPv6 accounts set to the test account.
I would like to remove the IPv4 account but the router doesn't allow this to be empty. I have asked Netgear how to force the router to use the IPv6 account.
If I use DHCP I get an IPv4 connection.    The only configuration that gives an IPv6 address is the '6to4 tunnel' (either configured or auto detected).
I am also rebooting the router on each change of details to ensure that they are being used (I am praying that this won't damage my profile as I have done this more times in the last 24 hours than I have ever done over many years before).
The router does allow manual IPv6 set up but I don't have enough knowledge and/or details to do this as it requires \ipv6 details as follows:
WAN:
  IPv6 Address
  Prefix Length
  Default IPv6 Gateway
  Primary and Secondary DNS servers
LAN:
  IPv6 Address
MJN
Pro

I'm not sure why it is offering up two separate account sections. Is it really calling one of them an 'IPv4 Account'?
There's only a need for one account - this is used to authenticate the PPP session over which everything else is then carried.
gladman
Grafter

Nor am I, but it does 😞
The router has a normal and an advanced setup section.   In the normal section there is a PPPoE setup in which login/passowrd details are entered.  It doesn't explicitly call this IPv4.
In the advanced section there is an IPv6 setup and in ONE of the connnection types offered - PPPoE - there is another opportunity to enter login/password details.
These are now set the same although I know that different details can be stored as I have tried this.    
I can leave the IPv6 details empty but I then get a IPv4 connection.  I cannot leave the 'normal' PPPoE details empty as the router doesn't allow this.
MJN
Pro

Have you tried the DHCP option? (Might also need to reconnect to trigger it)
gladman
Grafter

Yes, this results in an IPv4 connection.
dick:quote
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

This is similar to the set-up of, and the issues i've been having with my router albeit a different make/model (TP-Link WDR3600)
I am going to have another attempt tomorrow (now I'm over the hours I spent friday getting increasingly frustrated/angry)
MJN
Pro

Davey,
Start a thread and you may be able to get some assistance with getting yours up and running. Whilst the symptoms might be similar to that of of Gladman's, i.e. no IPv6(!), the causes could well be very different indeed given the differing routers being used.
Having looked at the user manual for the WDR3600 I'd say you need to at least do the following:
1. Under Network > WAN, assuming the connection type is some variation of PPP, enter your trial credentials.
2. Under IPv6 Support > IPv6 Setup, set the WAN connection type to DHCPv6 and enable the 'Get IPv6 prefix delegation'.
See what that gives you under the IPv6 Status page - don't worry about necessarily enabling IPv6 on clients just yet as you need to take things one step at a time.
P.S. Don't let it get you down... The going is always going to be tough for pioneers! Wink
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can't you put the trial account in both bits?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
gladman
Grafter

If that is a question for me, I do have the same trial account details in both the 'normal' and the 'IPv6' PPPoE settings. 
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: MJN
Davey,
Start a thread and you may be able to get some assistance with getting yours up and running.

I will do tomorrow, when i have more time and haven't got kids wanting internet access.
Having looked at the user manual for the WDR3600 I'd say you need to at least do the following:
1. Under Network > WAN, assuming the connection type is some variation of PPP, enter your trial credentials.
2. Under IPv6 Support > IPv6 Setup, set the WAN connection type to DHCPv6 and enable the 'Get IPv6 prefix delegation'.
See what that gives you under the IPv6 Status page - don't worry about necessarily enabling IPv6 on clients just yet as you need to take things one step at a time.

Already tried that and various other things and all result in the same thing,no ipv6 address, gateway, dns etc.
Lan/client side seem ok, various devices are gettin ipv6 addresses
Anyway i'll save it for another thread, so as not to derail gladmans thread anymore
MJN
Pro

Quote from: DaveyH
LAN client side seem ok, various devices are gettin ipv6 addresses
Anyway i'll save it for another thread, so as not to derail gladmans thread anymore

Yes do - that sounds promising! If they're getting GUA addresses then it is surely working? Don't be misled by FE80 link local addresses - they'll exist whether you've got WAN IPv6 connectivity or not.