cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial on Asus N66U

AndyH
Grafter

IPv6 Trial on Asus N66U

I have managed to get my Asus N66U up and running with PN's IPv6 trial.
I changed the WAN connection details to the IPv6 test login - this was the only change I made on this page.
I then enabled IPv6 on the IPv6 tab with the following settings (pic of the settings at the bottom):
Connection type: Native
Interface: PPP
DHCP-PD: Enable
Connect to DNS Server Automatically: Disable
IPv6 DNS Server 1:  2620:0:ccc::2 (OpenDNS)
IPv6 DNS Server 2: 2620:0:ccd::2 (OpenDNS)
I pass all of the tests, but for some reason my new ping monitor is not working correctly (showing high pings/packet loss):

I wonder if I am pointing the ping monitor at an internal machine rather than my router?
23 REPLIES 23
AndyH
Grafter

Re: IPv6 Trial on Asus N66U

Ok, I managed to find the router's IPv6 address by telnetting into the router and running ifconfig and and using the address under vlan1
The TBB Graph seems to be working fine now:

I am seeing slightly improved download speeds from IPv6 compared to IPv4.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking much better Andy!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
AndyH
Grafter

Just an update on my trial.
I have a lot of devices on my network (32 clients at the moment) and all get regular usage. So far, I have not encountered any problems at all with any devices.
OS X Mavericks (iMac and Macbook Air) - No issues at all.
Windows 8.1 (PC) - No issues at all.
Windows Home Server 2011 (Server) - No issues at all
iOS 7 - No issues at all. Although iOS has supported IPv6 since iOS 4 I believe, the Network Settings page does not display your IPv6 address - you need to get an additional app to view this.
Samsung Smart TV - No issues at all using any of the apps. It's not clear if the Smart TVs support IPv6 though - apparently Samsung TVs run an Android based software so they should support IPv6. There is no information on Samsung's website or in the TV settings pages.
Sky HD Boxes Anytime+ - No issues at all, but I believe they only run on IPv4 and do not support IPv6 at present.
Onkyo Receiver - No issues at all, but no support for IPv6 at present.
HP Printer - No issues at all, seems to fully support IPv6.
With regards to the Asus N66U router, there needs to be a few changes to the firmware to make it clearer and easier for IPv6 usage. One of the things that I would like to be able to see is a list of the clients and their IPv6 addresses - currently only the IPv4 address is displayed.
hazzamon
Grafter

Regarding the Samsung Smart TV - if it has a web browser, perhaps try connecting to a site that tests for IPv6 connectivity?
AndyH
Grafter

That's a very good point - thanks!
I just tried it and got 0/10 from the IPv6 test page. Looking at things a bit further, it would seem Android does not fully support IPv6 (or only the latest version 4.4 Kitkat seems to).
So Samsung TVs do not work with IPv6.
My list of devices that work with IPv4 only:
Sky HD boxes
Samsung Smart TV
Onkyo AV receiver
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Andy,
Quote from: AndyH
Samsung Smart TV - No issues at all using any of the apps. It's not clear if the Smart TVs support IPv6 though - apparently Samsung TVs run an Android based software so they should support IPv6. There is no information on Samsung's website or in the TV settings pages.
Sky HD Boxes Anytime+ - No issues at all, but I believe they only run on IPv4 and do not support IPv6 at present.

It can be help to fire up a packet sniffer (e.g. Wireshark) to see what IPv6 traffic is on your LAN in order to identify which devices are talking (or even just trying to talk) IPv6, particularly if you reboot the devices of interest as they'll go through their disco
Looking at things a bit further, it would seem Android does not fully support IPv6 (or only the latest version 4.4 Kitkat seems to).

Not sure what you mean by that? Android has had an IPv6 stack since at least Donut (1.6, ~2009) although originally only on the wireless interface as opposed to the GSM radio IIRC. 'Full' support though is an interesting phrase however and one which we'll surely keep bumping in to for a good while yet as the IPv6 spec is vast - consisting of hundreds of RFCs - and so when a vendor claims 'IPv6 support' it is not always clear exactly which aspects are included because it is unlikely to be every bit and yet can still provide a working IPv6 experience. Furthermore, it's more likely to be the apps that don't support IPv6 even if the OS does.
AndyH
Grafter

I was trying to figure out some router commands when I telnet to the router to see the IPv6 traffic and how the devices are working. The problem is there are hundreds of commands and I am struggling with some of them!
Re Android devices, I read an article about their lack of IPv6 support over WiFi somewhere. https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=32630 seems to support that too.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I know what you mean re router commands - it's been a steep learning curve with my own!
That Android issue only affects IPv6-only networks i.e. it works fine on a dual-stack network. In the former the inability for it to bring up its IPv4 interface means it cycles the whole lot over and over. It's a stupid bug but shouldn't affect most people (yet - it definitely needs to be fixed one day).
shadow4dog
Grafter

I am using my Nexus 5 and an old Nexus 7 succesfully on IPV6 dual stack. I tried to get my Chromecast working on it but it doesn't seem to like IPV6 from my initial tests.
Of course I'm still using my HE tunnel, not the Plusnet Trial because there are no slots available! 🙂
Thanks
Tim
chrcoluk
Grafter

Hi guys.
I am using a N16 which uses the same firmware code base as the N66U.
Initially I was using the tomato firmware which is feature heavy but in my opinion its underlying network management is poor, it seems to use dated and messy scripts and when using ipv6 I noticed these scripts were not RFC compliant causing me problems such as the ipv6 only working for short periods after a router reboot.  An example is tomatoasus binds the ipv6 wan ip to its lan interface, I was able to get it working manually but I felt the amount of work I had to do to fix (which would have to be done everytime PPP reconnects) was excessive so although I have documented it the guide isnt for the faint hearted.  I may go back to it at a later date to see if it becomesa more user friendly process after some tinkering.
For now though I have changed to the asuswrt-merlin firmware, this firmware is a enhanced port of the default asus firmware, basically the same code base and GUI with some bug fixes and enhancements. http://www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/80
On this firmware setup was fairly painless, basically as said above.
Click ipv6 on the left
Change connection type from disabled (or whatever it currently is) to native
Change interface from ethernet to PPP (the PPP option was only available to me whilst I was already online as PPPoE)
Enable DHCP-PD (DHCPv6)
Connect to DNS Server automatically set to disable.
I added the google dns servers.
2001:4860:4860::8888
2001:4860:4860::8844
Finally Enable Router Advertisement Enable
Thats it should work fine.
If anyone has issues with windows 7 I disabled the randomize identifiers feature as that is not RFC compliant and can cause problems, as follows.  But be aware of possible security downsides of doing this.
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled

Also I currently have windows set to prefer ipv4 which is not the default configuration, that was back from when I was using tunnels, I will configure to prefer ipv6 now I am using native.
AndyH
Grafter

There's a new firmware out (3.0.0.4.374.2050) which includes a IPv6 change:
1. Allowed LAN stateful settings for DHCP6
chrcoluk
Grafter

Upgraded to an AC66U and confirm same procedure works fine.
AndyH
Grafter

There's a new beta firmware out (3.0.0.4.374.2239)
ipv6 stops working if you use it - I tried changing every setting, but it would not work.
AndyH
Grafter

New firmware - Version 3.0.0.4.374.4422
Some security fixes.
IPv6 working absolutely fine.