Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial - Space for a couple more

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: IPv6 Trial - Space for a couple more

Quote from: SimonHobson
Ah, nice to see it wasn't just me who took at face value a suggestion that "we'll give you the login details when were ready" actually meant that rather than "we'll ask again in a different thread that you might not notice we've created and you'll have to ask again"
Indeed what was the point of putting my name forward if all it meant was that I would have to put my name forward again?
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Guys.
I'll have a word with Dave on Monday to see if we have any spaces left on the trial.  We only set up a limited number of accounts and its possible they are all taken as wasn't involved with that process when it was rolled out.
As far as the adding of IPv6 to you normal user account goes thats a bit difficult at the moment due to the way the addresses are allocated deep in the magic back end systems and as the name (trial) suggests we don't have a nice ticky box to turn it on and off yet  Smiley
If we don't have any room left the HE tunnel broker service works fairly well, that way you can be as disappointed as I was when visiting ipv6.google.com and finding that it looks the same as normal google  Cry
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: paulmh5
[...] that way you can be as disappointed as I was when visiting ipv6.google.com and finding that it looks the same as normal google  Cry

Grin
SimonHobson
Rising Star

f we don't have any room left the HE tunnel broker service works fairly well, that way you can be as disappointed as I was when visiting ipv6.google.com and finding that it looks the same as normal google  Cry

Indeed, I've been IPv6 enabled both at home and work with HE tunnels for some time - and ... it just works, so boring  Roll_eyes
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Yeah, I had an HE tunnel up and running a couple of years back, didn't reinstate it when I moved to my current address, since then I've changed router and more besides too, so would prefer to do the Plusnet ipv6 thing as and when.
adkchum
Dabbler

Any spare spaces left?  Smiley
My router is IPV6-capable Linksys e4200
Picnic
Grafter

I'd be interested to if people are still being accepted or when further trials begin. I ordered a Billion 7800N yesterday as Expansys are flogging them cheap at the moment.
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've had a chat with Dave on this and we may have one space left but I'll need to go through and find out who asked first  Tongue  It's not helped by having two threads running side by side.
I'm off work till Monday so I'll try find a few mins to get it sorted then as long as there isn't anything waiting on my desk after 2 days off.  As far as a further trial goes there are no dates set to the best of my knowledge however I'm sure we'll need some more people one day.
If anyone does want to drop out please message me or Dave who managed the trial user accounts so we can update our list and re-issue them to others.
battletux
Dabbler

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I didn't realise you were running the IPv6 trial already. If there are any spaces left, I'd love to help out. Currently have a Draytek vigor 110 (same as the 120, just with 3 useless network ports).
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I issued the last free user account that we had about a week ago although some users are trading them around when they aren't needed any more so you may get one that way.
If people have passed them about I wouldn't mind a PM so I can try and update our list as to who has what should we need to comms anything out down the line.
mwerle
Grafter

I'd also like to register interest in participating in case any accounts become spare.
I will get Fibre installed this Friday and have a Vigor 2750 on order which supposedly has IPv6 support.
Cheers,
- Micha.
PS. My LAN has been IPv6-enabled without problems via a SIXXS tunnel for the last 3 years.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

... although some users are trading them around when they aren't needed any more so you may get one that way.
If people have passed them about I wouldn't mind a PM ...

Perhaps, if someone at Plusnet is prepared to manage it, people could "hand back" a login they're no longer using and you could give it out to the next person on the list.
BTW - is there any indication yet on how it's been going, and more importantly, when you might be in a position to start making IPv6 available on live accounts ?
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm happy to try and manage it as best I can along with Dave who was organising things when we started.  Obviously there is extra overhead in managing passwords each time an account is 'handed back' so I can't promise it will be a fast process although I can fit it in around the day to day stuff if it's quiet.
All that said I'm yet to have a PM from anyone saying they have passed the account along and I'm aware its happening so I'll need you trial-ists to give me a hand.
As far as the results of the trial and future plans go Dave is in a better position to comment however he is out of the office till Wednesday so I can try and give you a brief run down.
I think one of the biggest things for us in terms of large scale deployment for v6 is concerned is getting stable hardware and software from vendors (such as Thompson/Technicolor) that we can hand out to customers.  Having both v6 and v4 on accounts does work (I'm running it at the moment) however the backend code for setting it up is not yet ready to support it being rolled out to other accounts.  There is also a lot of work needed around RADIUS, DNS and other customer facing services that I'm not totally up to speed on.
Hope that fills a bit of a gap.  I'll try and catch Dave later this week and see if he has anything more useful for you all.
neilalexander

I think one of the biggest things for us in terms of large scale deployment for v6 is concerned is getting stable hardware and software from vendors (such as Thompson/Technicolor) that we can hand out to customers.

It was suggested previously that the 585v8 would be capable of carrying IPv6 with a firmware update that you guys could negotiate with Thomson, is there any news on that or is it going to be a matter of new hardware altogether?
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I am afraid I'm going to have to yet again say Dave is the one to answer that with the most accuracy and I have prodded him to post but hes a busy guy.  I shall re-prod on Monday however yes I believe there should be a firmware update option for the 585's but we will have to go through the motions of testing various options to be sure we get the right one for customers.