Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Maintenance

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

IPv6 Maintenance

Hi folks,
Just a heads up that we're doing some work from about 12.30 this afternoon which may mean you get disconnected and assigned a new IP address. You should reconnect automatically, but if not, a reboot should do the trick.
Thanks,
Jojo Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IPv6 Maintenance

I do know my outage did not relate to the one mentioned above, as it was 12 hours previous !!
Below is a comment, not a criticism.
I was horrified this morning at about half past midnight when my internet connection stopped working, but I had read Mondays' fore warning earlier, even if I could not remember the details, I knew somethig was planned for Tuesday early am.
I resigned my self to a few hours without internet, did a bit of computer house keeping, after about 10 minutes internet was re-connected, phew !!
I was starting to panic, would I have to watch TV ? No thankfully. (I do tend to wake up for the midnight special)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Jojo only posting this at lunch time about the work at 12:30 this lunchtime.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Relates to previous warning on Monday !!
Which I remembered, it was in my head, even though the exact times were not.
"When is this work happening?
Early tomorrow morning, Tues 12th July 2am - 5am."
Yes i know my outage was 00:30.....
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello
The notice posted on the service status did not relate to the outage you suffered from, that was down to a BT core issue of which we haven't been provided full details yet.
The IPv6 work is still on going and was started around 14:30.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
brueton
Grafter

Does anyone from Plusnet have an update on the status of this work?
PB
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

AFAIK the work is complete Smiley
brueton
Grafter

Will try when I get home this evening, it was not working at 6:30 this morning.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

You might want to check if/how your IPv6 address has changed... I seemed to have gone through the somewhat so-subtle-its-had-me-scratching-my-head-for-hours prefix change from 2A02:16C8:2000:6000::/56 to 2A02:16C8:2000:600::/56 which I really didn't spot until I'd exhausted all other avenues to solve some problems. It hasn't affected my outgoing connections but local and incoming have obviously all gone up the swanny.
Before I go changing all my static assignments and updating DNS etc can Plusnet confirm that this change was intentional? (Re-reading JoJo's heads up I guess it was) Notwithstanding that this is a trial, I'd rather hoped that we'd be fully exploiting one of the inherent benefits of IPv6 of being able to make static assignments!
Cheers,
Mathew
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Guys.
Just to answer the question around the prefix change, yes thats intentional.  Previously some test account had static IPs and some had dynamic.  Now all test accounts have static IPs and due to a similar head scratching error in the initial deployment we have bumped the prefixes together as there was huge gaps between assignments hence everyones IP will have changed a little.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Thanks Paul. In hindsight it turned out to be a useful lesson learnt for me to take more than a cursory glance at an IPv6 address as it is the most subtle of changes that can all too easily catch you out!
Mathew