Dabbler

Re: IPV6...

Correct! The suspense is killing me!

mjps
Hooked

The suspense is killing me to.

I checked a site called ipv6-test.com

It appears that about 50% of their , pings not sure what machanism they use, hook up with unique ipv6 addresses. Theres plenty of traffic out there.

I signed up with plusnet because I stopped hearing complaints about no ipv6 and thought it was a done deal! The sooner the better imho, it's just better thats all there is to know really.

summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thing to check is the address shown on ipv6-test. E.g. if its shown as a 2002:: number, its 6to4 ipv6, which is typically where your router encapsulates IPv6 packets in IPV4. It has a few routing constraints, but luckily plus.net does route the relevant packets (to he.net, who sends them on as IPv6 packets).

Another way of checking is what IP address your router gets. If your WAN connection only has an IPv4 number, then you only have IPv4. If plusnet is giving out IPv6, then that interface should get an IPv6 number as well - and mine has never had it (and I'm fairly sure my system supports IPv6).

mjps
Hooked

I would use a HE tunnel but until I get a router that can support it and allow pings I'm out of luck. I used HE when I had Virgin, went modem only, and ran my own router (pfsense or rather its previous name). I jumped Virgin for Sky (couldn't afford it after about 3 years and have landed here.

piersg
Grafter

I'm fed up waiting for IPv6 from PN. I got my Force9 account in 2003, and have been with Plusnet and Force9 for most of the time since then. But the world has moved on and Plusnet hasn't. I'm also fed up with their high call charges (yes, I am on a package) and the palaver of having to ring every 12 months to ask for a discount on the charges. 

I'm off on 14th July, I've already been allocated my /64 range of IPv6 addresses and will have a free /29 on IPv4. I get free VOIP services too. And for less money than I am paying Plusnet each month. 

I looked on PN's website to see what the "exclusive offer" I could get as an existing customer but it was still far more costly than the deal that new customers get. I'm bored with playing that game now. The bye-bye email from plusnet has just arrived saying they're "really sad to lose me", and to call to get a better offer. Too late, should have offered me a better deal earlier and I might have considered it.

I've loved my time with PN but now I've had enough of being screwed over by them with high costs and outdated technology. I'm sorry to go, but I'm looking forward to better things after 14th July.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@piersg wrote:

I'm off on 14th July, I've already been allocated my /64 range of IPv6 addresses and will have a free /29 on IPv4. I get free VOIP services too. And for less money than I am paying Plusnet each month.

@piersg  where are you moving to ?

Like you I started with Force9 (in 1999) and still have a legacy /30 on IPv4, and have been making do with a Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel (since 2013) while I've waited for Plusnet to provide native IPv6.

I've waited far too long to jump ship, so I'd be interested to know where you can get a free /29 and free VoIP, as I'd like native IPv6 (so that Netflix works !) and to continue using a /30 (at least) WAN subnet on IPv4 (but I'm reluctant to pay up to £8 a month extra elsewhere just to retain a static /30 subnet).

piersg
Grafter

@Anonymous I'm not sure if it's allowed to advertise other ISPs here so I won't name them. But they have the same initials as a breakdown service and it's not the RAC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks (I understood your reference) 🙂

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@piersg wrote:

@Anonymous I'm not sure if it's allowed to advertise other ISPs here so I won't name them. But they have the same initials as a breakdown service and it's not the RAC.

If I was to ever move on (perhaps for native IPv6 given the thread) I've always thought it'd be to them as I love how 'techy' the ISP is. However, the pricing options have meant they've never got anywhere near tempting me away...

I hate haggling (I really appreciate companies with 'no haggling' policies) but I do at least call Plusnet's customer retentions whenever my contract is due to end. Have you ever tried them? For very little effort (just calling up and being polite - that's the extent to what I'm willing to haggle!) they've always given me a really good deal. Right now I am paying less than half of what the initials-like-a-breakdown-company-but-not-the-RAC charge for FTTC and that's before I knock off an extra fiver/month for my customer referrals discount.

piersg
Grafter

@MJN Thanks for your comments. I've been calling up and asking for a discounted renewal pretty well every year since I've been with F9/PN. But I don't see why I should have to, really, I'm fed up with doing that. It's a waste of their time and their customers' time.  Why not just give me a good price and keep it at that for as long as I'm with them?

But that doesn't address my other issue, and coming back to the point of this whole thread, is that whatever you pay PN you can't get IPv6. I accept that not everyone wants it, but I do and so I'm going to an ISP who does offer it. I've a 6 month contract, I'll see what the market is at the start of next year and decide what to do at that point.

riceboychrispy

I have an Xbox Series X and while it WILL work on IPv4 it prefers IPv6 and in fact has some functionality that it IPv6 only and will soon have further functionality that it IPv6 only.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/Hardware-Network/connect-network/ipv6-on-xbox-one

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks for your post @riceboychrispy 

Out of interest, what functionality is missing? From what I’ve read, an IPv6 enabled Xbox means latency is generally better but it should be fine on IPv4. 

I still can’t say if or when we’ll bring out IPv6 though. Yep it was I who messaged you on Twitter earlier today. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I believe its the need for peer to peer connectivity required for multilayer gaming which benefits from native IPv6 connectivity by virtue of reduced lag and complexities from lack of NAT. With IPv4 only connectivity this is all tunneled over Teredo and hence suffers performance wise as a result. As you say though, it should still work.
riceboychrispy

To be honest, I couldn't tell you. I was just looking into optimal setups for Xbox Series X and it seems it performs better on a network with IPv6.

This is from the Xbox setup website: "Several Xbox features already make use of IPv6, and we’re building more.".

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/hardware-network/connect-network/ipv6-on-xbox-one