cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to be removed from the IPv6 trial please

Estragon
Rising Star

I would like to be removed from the IPv6 trial please

So far as I can see IPv6 is at the moment of no real benefit to me, and I doubt if my being on the trial is much use to Plusnet either.
I have just run into great difficulty with first line support - not his fault but he quite reasonably knew nothing about IPv6 and therefore couldn't grasp that it was pointless trying to get me connected using my standard login when my connection was (and still is) down.
I wasted a lot of time (nearly two hours) yesterday on the phone - see my post "No internet since G.INP activated on my line" a few minutes ago in the fibre forum. I want to prevent that if I have further problems of any kind.
Right now, the priority is of course getting me back online, but there is a remote possibility that the IPv6 trial may be involved.
22 REPLIES 22
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: I would like to be removed from the IPv6 trial please

Quote from: Estragon
I have just run into great difficulty with first line support - not his fault but he quite reasonably knew nothing about IPv6 and therefore couldn't grasp that it was pointless trying to get me connected using my standard login when my connection was (and still is) down.

Far from pointless. There's a certain element of automation to be gained from raising faults against the account you're using to connect with. The RADIUS logs, and other stuff the faults guys use for diagnosis, are associated with your username in our CRM systems rather than your circuit identifier. It would be of benefit to nobody if you were to continue using the IPv6 login details whilst the fault condition is evident. You've said it yourself really, the guys know little about the IPv6 trial so you'd be inviting confusion which ultimately leads to mistakes being made.
Right now, the priority is of course getting me back online, but there is a remote possibility that the IPv6 trial may be involved.

I suggest keeping hold of the IPv6 account as we've no intention of opening up any other spaces in the immediate future. If you still no longer require it after your fault is fixed, then perhaps you could donate it to somebody else in this forum who's recently expressed an interest in taking part?
... see my post "No internet since G.INP activated on my line" a few minutes ago in the fibre forum.

Intresting, just been reading about this. What kit are you using, and how do you know the connection's died since G.INP has been enabled? I've glanced at your ticket etc. but it's not immediately clear to me.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

hillyfields123
Grafter

If you do wanna drop the IPv6 trial then I'd love to take your space!
(Sorry if I seem insensitive to your issues but Bob seems to have delt with them)
Estragon
Rising Star

Hi Bob :). Thanks for arriving so quickly.
It was you in fact who was contacted yesterday. The reply from you that was fed to me was that there were known problems with IPv6 on bng gateways. That had to mean a garbled or incomplete statement of the problem had been given you.
Re leaving the trial, in view of what you say about it being resolved then yes, keep me on it until it is. After that I'd be quite happy for someone to take my place rather than just waste it. But if you would rather keep the continuity on my line, I'm happy to go along with that as well. It's ages since I was ever able easily to get off the bngs though - how much use is it on those, as I end up on IPv4 anyway? I believe I'd been on pcl-bng03 since 00:53 on 09/03/15.
Re the fault itself, as I've said in the Fibre section, I don't know what is on the ticket. The first entry I see is like a first acknowledgement of it.
I was using the machine quite happily yesterday morning before stopping to have something to eat. I don't think I had had any disconnections since the 9th and I have checked the stats a few times over that period. I'll check my BQM later today and let you know if I did, and you can no doubt check the account. About 11:40 I went to check something online and found I had no internet access. The modem stats showed the highest sync yet, (now there's a thought - I haven't looked at my Plusnet Current line speed, which at a guess will now be 58Mbps), and Bearer 1 plus the other G.INP stuff.
I spent a while before phoning, swapping to the PN router from my ASUS RT-N66U, rebooting the modem and suchlike. Both routers were tried again whilst on the phone, but the chap, (who was otherwise good and doing his best) got it into his head to my to connect me to my standard account. I tried but couldn't explain to him that simply could not work.
Since then I've done a factory reset on the modem, with no change. It would be a good idea however to check the IPv6 login password I have. I'm fairly sure I have the "username" correct but we'd better check that as well. Obviously it was correct in my router before all this, but with all the swapping a few times between routers and substituting my standard ones I may have messed up. I noted them down at the start, from the ASUS GUI, but let's make sure! I tried but failed to find the original notification of them.
I'll PM you as soon as I've posted this, with the details I'm using :).
I'll post this now - then I have to go out for half an hour or so. When I return I'll check my BQM for disconnections since the 9th.
Thanks - Bob. (Currently tethered to my mobile).
Estragon
Rising Star

Checked my BQM from the connection made just after midnight on the 9th and no sign of a disconnection. I have also checked my modem stats a few times since then, and would certainly have noticed a change. In particular I check the sync/interleaving 😧 and Delay: lines, as I was waiting for interleaving to be removed.
I would have spotted the G.INP as well if it had occurred, simply from the results it causes in the stats.
Estragon
Rising Star

@hillyfields123
Smiley I wouldn't say he's dealt with them. He's made a few points and I answered those in my reply, which I was drafting when you made yours. I think what I say there covers it.
As for now, staying as is, as it looks as though he is picking up the actual problem. That would be great.
hillyfields123
Grafter

Sorry, possibly a word choice error - Addressed probably would have been better. I didn't feel I could offer anything contrsuctive after Bob's response.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

About 11:40 I went to check something online and found I had no internet access. The modem stats showed the highest sync yet, (now there's a thought - I haven't looked at my Plusnet Current line speed, which at a guess will now be 58Mbps), and Bearer 1 plus the other G.INP stuff.

The PPP session dropped at 11:36am and hasn't come back up since.
I spent a while before phoning, swapping to the PN router from my ASUS RT-N66U, rebooting the modem and suchlike. Both routers were tried again whilst on the phone, but the chap, (who was otherwise good and doing his best) got it into his head to my to connect me to my standard account. I tried but couldn't explain to him that simply could not work.

Checking BT's RADIUS servers, the latest entry is a working connection from the IPv6 account timestamped 11.36am (which is odd given that this is when your line dropped). There's no record of a connection attempt using your standard login details.
Since then I've done a factory reset on the modem, with no change. It would be a good idea however to check the IPv6 login password I have.

I've checked it and it's correct. If you were using the correct username but the wrong password, then we'd see the authentication failures in our RADIUS logs any way. Neither would an incorrect IPv6 password explain why you can't connect using your IPv4 credentials.
I've tried session killing your circuit in the vain hope that helps but it doesn't seem to have.
Best thing to do in which case, is keep your router configured with the IPv4 details and let the fault guys do their thing.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
I've tried session killing your circuit in the vain hope that helps but it doesn't seem to have.
Best thing to do in which case, is keep your router configured with the IPv4 details and let the fault guys do their thing.
Now I'm confused :).
The last instruction I was given was to leave the router on with the IPv6 sign-in. A point, and a question.
When things are working on the trial login, hitting the bng gateways has always resulted in a static IPv4 address different from my non-trial one.
Are you now saying I should try to log in using my non-trial normal username and password, then let the router sit like that?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The last instruction I was given was to leave the router on with the IPv6 sign-in.

Questionable advice Undecided
When things are working on the trial login, hitting the bng gateways has always resulted in a static IPv4 address different from my non-trial one.

The trial login will always assign a different IPv4 address to the non-trial one. IP addresses are assigned through RADIUS and your RADIUS attributes are linked to your username.
Are you now saying I should try to log in using my non-trial normal username and password, then let the router sit like that?

Yes, please. It makes much more sense as the fault report has been raised against your IPv4 account.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Estragon
Rising Star

Done.
Not pushing, as I can manage like this for a while, but any idea please when the fault team will be able to take a look - now that it is on the non-trial login?
Estragon
Rising Star

OK Smiley
Engineer visit this afternoon. Ran his tests and got PPP up from his JDSU to the BT test domain. Replaced the HG612 and all hunky-dory. Weird, seeing as I had sync with the cabinet. He reckoned the cabinet upgrade may somehow have blown something in the modem.
Now back on IPv6 login as well, but on ptn-bng01 so dropped down to IPv4.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Did you have an ECI modem - as that can throw a wobbly when G.INP is enabled
Estragon
Rising Star

No, it was an unlocked HG612 - that's how I knew I was on G.INP with a very high sync.
I may try the old one in a few days, just in case his testing cleared something!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear it's all sorted! Let us know how you get on with the other modem if you do end up swapping it back in.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team