cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

582n - gets very hot!

David_W
Rising Star

582n - gets very hot!

I just had to switch back to my Cisco (I'm getting internet disconnects so need to rule out hardware) with my 582n placed on top of my Buffalo which in turn is on top of my Cisco (don't ask).  Anyhow, on touching the 582n I found it to be running quite hot, is anyone else having an issue with the router getting hot enough to fry an egg, or at least it seems that hot!  Could also explain a few things, if it's over-heating it could cause problems internally with the wi-fi/webserver etc. couldn't it?
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 582n - gets very hot!

Assuming the device is still in warranty and the heat is to such a concerning level we may need to replace that for you. Have you requested that with support?
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
brueton
Grafter

My 582n is only a few degrees above room temperature, warm to the touch. It had been mostly idle overnight when I checked it.
EDIT: Added power consumption.
My plug in energy monitor shows it as using 6W when idle.
PeteB
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've noticed that the 582ns do tend to run quite warm. If they're in good airflow and are on a hard surface yet are still too hot to touch then I may need to replace it, just drop me a line - please don't contact tech support as these routers aren't listed on your accounts and RMAs would have the wrong firmware.
David_W
Rising Star

I've had to switch back to my Cisco, it looks like I was getting an SNR drop which caused a disconnect on the 582n, waiting to see if my Cisco drops the connection so I can't tell how hot it is at the moment as it's switched off.
WelshPaul
Grafter

Mine is located on my desk, lay flat as it was intended with nothing under or on it and although it is warm it is no warmer than any other router i have used.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

mine currently sits on top of my DTR box, when stacking devices like that I tend to grab a bag of self adhesive rubber feet that I keep in my toolkit, pretty nifty for raising things up to make sure any vents underneath are getting good clearance.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A 582n stacked on top of a 585v7 got to ~ 60C on the bottom, but I think that was mostly heat rising from the v7 - the top was ~ 50C. When the 582n was on the desk it was 40 - 45C which is warm to the touch but not really hot.
I have a 582n without a case, the broadcom chip was hottest but didn't go above 45C.
All measurements were taken with a funky laser thermometer.
Can anyone else get actual temperature readings? If not, for reference, 45C feels like a hot bath, 55C is quite hot but not uncomfortable, 65C is where I can't hold my hand on for more than ~10 seconds. Obviously these will vary from person to person but may be a start.
brueton
Grafter

I am going to take my 582n over to a friend's tomorrow. If she can find the laser thermometer she uses occasionally for work I will post some figures.
PeteB
brueton
Grafter

I used a laser thermometer to get the following.
39C in a room with a temperature of 12C.
PeteB
MrToast
Grafter

If differenet units with the same ventilation are at different temperatures they must be consuming different amounts of power.
Would that be an easy test to perform? Volts and Mili amps in
brueton
Grafter

See reply #2, mine uses 6W. 
I would add "at the same room temperature". I guess mine would measure about 47C now the room is 20C.
PeteB
David_W
Rising Star

I still consider it hot to the touch, warm would be comfortable to touch for an extended period, hot (for me) would be uncomfortable to touch over an extended period, very hot would be too hot to touch for a short period of time.  I don't have any way of measuring the temperature to give an accurate reading so I'm going to stick with "feels hot to the touch" though I'd guess 50c would be pretty warm, half the boiling point of water.