cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Phone Lines at one house

FIXED
rma013

Two Phone Lines at one house

Wonder if someone can confirm my thoughts. (Sorry I've just read the mail and it is a bit long.)

Anyway here goes .......

I have for very historical reasons two phone numbers at the house. 

Number A - The original number which came with the house and is used for phone calls in/out and has a downstairs main socket and various extensions around the house from previous owners work. We actually only use one extension socket for a phone.

Number B - Used for PlusNet Broadband - it does receive the odd phone call (normally a cold caller) - and could be used for outgoing calls. This has just a single socket upstairs where the router plugs in  - served by a cable running round the outside of the house from an external point on the house.

Looking externally - there is a single cable running from the street coming out of the ground which goes into a box on the outside of the house. On the inside of the house at this point is the main socket for Number A. The external cable for Number B appears to runs from this external wall box.

I now want a single phone line/number - as it is expensive to keep two line rentals  these days no good reason. I thought about keeping Number A - the original number - and transferring the broadband - however there is no electric plug socket near the main phone socket downstairs and I'm not sure that location is ideal for the house regarding the router.. 

Alternative is to sacrifice Number A - tell those people who ever phone me of the new number and simply use Number B. Seems simpler to me as Number A isn't on a contract - and there should be no interruption of broadband services provided - HOWEVER this is my concern - will Number B continue to operate if Number A is discontinued. I can't think of a reason why it should - the services are provided by PlusNet for B and BT for A - but just wanted to confirm this should be safe to do. I'm just wondering if there are some clever routing in the main socket box which may fail if the Number A is terminated. I have always treated the two numbers as totally independent - but I just wondered if people with more knowledge than me could confirm.

Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Two Phone Lines at one house

@rma013 

Like you I see no reason why both lines would cease to operate if one is cancelled. They'll be on separate pairs in the junction box outside.

First thing I would ask (recommend) is whether FTTP is available or is expected to become available, either via OpenReach or one of the Alternative suppliers. You can check here for OpenReach current availability.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

You might care to migrate Number A to a VoIP provider and pick up the calls over the internet. That way you save the costs and retain your “primary” number.

If you do that, you’ll not be risking losing Number B as well if you were to upgrade to FTTP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@rma013 

I was thinking along the lines of if FTTP is or becomes available then potentially you have a new entry location for the fibre cable.

However, @Townman makes a very valid point is this day and age. With PlusNet you currently lose your phone line (and hence number) if you take FTTP. I believe some other ISP's may be the same though at the same time you get pnone & internet FTTP packages if required. BT do both - internet only and internet / phone

By putting your main phone number onto VOIP you de-couple it from your internet service and hence have no worries about FTTP (if & when it's available).

Brian

rma013

Many thanks to all for taking time to reply. I checked the link provided for Number A and Number B and  it states

FTTP on Demand -  ............ with the Availability date as "Available" - but then underneath the technical rows it then states

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

FTTP is not available.

So having consulted Dr. Google - seems to suggest I could have FTTP if I pay for my own fibre to be layed (The on demand ) - otherwise there is none available to simply connect into. Hopefully that is the correct interpretation.

I will investigate the VoIP option anyway. Something I was unaware of I must admit. One thing that did interest me - is that you mentioned the 2nd line should be on an independent pair of wires coming from the underground cable. Does this imply that these cables, when laid down come with 4+ wires available by default - since this cable was put in at the time the house was built and prior to the 2nd line going in.

Many thanks for all the responses - they were all very useful

Best Regards

bmc
Hero

Fix

@rma013 

If you look on Mr Google you'll see plenty of pictures / diagrams of phone cable installations over the years. As far as I can see, the standard cable came with 3 twisted pairs. In the old days, a single wire (the bell wire) would be used to ring the phone with a pair for the connection - so two phones lines are / were available. Nowadays the bell wire isn't required so you might well be able to get 3 lines.

With VOIP you have the choice of paid plans or PAYG - others will be able to advise if you need any further information / recommendations.

FTTP on Demand is a highly expensive way of getting -FTTP really only suitable for businesses or those with deep pockets.

You should use Mr Google to check whether any alternative suppliers are working / plan to work in your area.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

My thoughts are...

Cease Number A and renumber Number B with A. If the rangeholder/original owner of Number A is BT, then it should be easy to get it back though there's always a chance we won't be able to. If you type the full landline number in the "Partial Telephone Number to Lookup" box Here the rangeholder is the "Operator". 

Alternatively, cease Number B, provide broadband on Number A, then move the master telephone socket, but that'll likely incur termination fees and an engineer call out fee as well. 

Or, moving Number A to VoIP is also a good option! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DelT
Grafter
Fixes: 4

rma013 Moving number A to VOIP would seem to be a good option. Sipgatebasic will allow you to set up an account with a new number with no rental charges and UK land line calls at £0.0118 per min (no set up charge). After establishing the system works by connecting through your router on number B ( Analogue Telephone Adapter needed if using analogue phone), Sipgate could port number B to the VOIP account, which would cease the copper connectionon line A, for £30.

You would then have a telephone system separate from your Broadband ISP meaning that in the future you would be free to use FTTP without having to port your phone number.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@DelT wrote:

... Sipgate could port number B to the VOIP account, which would cease the copper connectionon line A, for £30.

I trust that was a typo?

Porting Number B will not do anything whatsoever in respect of Number A, however doing that will totally trash the existing broadband service provided against Number B.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DelT
Grafter
Fixes: 4

Oops! Yes it should be port number A to the VOIP account, this would mean that the broadband and phone line on number B would continue as is until such time as a new broadband is set up ceasing line B but allowing VOIP on the new broadband. An added bonus is that this would mean that nothing needs to be done when PSTN switch off happens in 2025.