Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting Phone Outage When Broadband is Working

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Troubleshooting Phone Outage When Broadband is Working

@Spiffle It is possible for the Broadband to work whilst the phone doesn't (as @runhare has explained) whether the fault be located internally or an external issue. The best way to rule out any internal fault would be to get your partner to follow the checks mentioned. With regards to the line from the pole to the house, unless its damage to wiring, then she likely would not be charged.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Spiffle
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks to and @runhare & others for your helpful comments and suggestions.  I will attempt to examine the wiring in the master socket and others in case there's anything obvious ...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Rather than messing with extension sockets. only two actions are required:

1. Remove the front section of the master socket. Make sure that all the extension cables are connected to this front section and therefore disconnected from the incoming phone line. Plug a wired phone directly into the test socket, that's the one in the fixed part into which the removeable part is normally plugged, without a filter and see if the phone works. If the phone is dead then you have a phone fault. There's no point in looking further.

2. Look outside at the line coming into the property and make sure it is not snagged on trees or guttering. If it is then get that fixed before reporting a phone fault.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Spiffle
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks, Baldrick1 - in fact the master socket is an old one which has no test socket, so I'm planning to simply open it up and check for loose wires.  I'll also check on the state of the incoming line over her property in case that's likely to be adding to the problem!  Thanks for your advice.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

2. Look outside at the line coming into the property and make sure it is not snagged on trees or guttering. If it is then get that fixed before reporting a phone fault.

Remember attempting to repair an outside line is outside the customers remit, so I am assuming @Baldrick1  means, you should get any fouling trees or buildings damage fixed first. If you do actual damage to the line in the process then that's tough! ( I've brought down overhead lines accidentally when cutting quite small trees , but  Drop Wire is tough and it remained in service. )

Thanks, Baldrick1 - in fact the master socket is an old one which has no test socket, so I'm planning to simply open it up and check for loose wires.  I'll also check on the state of the incoming line over her property in case that's likely to be adding to the problem!  Thanks for your advice.

In which case you should actually probably leave the master socket alone. The wiring in it will be very old and quite possibly without circuit testing gear and a knowledge of colour coding  for the rats nest of fragile wires inside, an almost  imposible task for the amatuer to daignose what is wrong . Loose wires on old phone systems  are virtually impossible to find and fix unless you know what your doing . In addition the socket itself could be faulty . They do contain baisc electrical components which can fail .

I would bite the bullet and accept the possiblity of a charge ask your phone supplier  to come and fix the obvious line fault you have, inform them  there is no modern master socket and you cannot do any testing. Hopefully they will fix the fault and include a modern master socket NTE5C at no cost to you. They frequently will , although you should not accept that as a promise from me! 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

I was not suggesting that the OP should repair damaged Openreach cabling. What I was trying to say was that if the overhead line is snagging on trees, guttering etc then the cause of the snagging should be rectified. The last thing needed is for OR to turn up and go away until, for instance, tree branches are cut back. It also occured to me that if say branches had caused the problem then the evidence would have been removed - read into that what you will.

It is problematic that there is no Master socket and therefore no way of isolating all the old extension wiring. If there is more than one extension cable connected to the box then this it indicates that the extensions are star wired, which is not good practice if you want the best performance. I reluctantly agree that the best approach is probably to get OR around and take the financial hit if necessary. However I would question whether three wired extensions are really required. If it were me I would get OR to simply fit an NTE5 Master Socket and have no more than one phone extension. I would then buy a modern cordless phone with extra handsets and go wireless. It could also be a cheaper solution depending on the state of the current three extensions and the attitude of OR. Alternatively OR could be employed to just to fit the NTE5 unit and the OP could wire the extensions - this is allowed once the new master socket is fitted. No special tools are required and the colour coding is quite straight forward.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'