cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected issue with Master Socket, how do I troubleshoot?

damnfinecoffee
Hooked

Suspected issue with Master Socket, how do I troubleshoot?

Dear Community, we rent our phone line and get our broadband from Plusnet. For the past week or so we have had a few "funnies" with our router and the landline phone. Sometimes we lose the internet connection on the router (red light coming on) which I have been able to resolve by wiggling/reseating the modem cable. As you can see from the attached photo, that cable is not in fantastic nick (and has not been for a log time). I have procured a replacement, but not yet connected. 

Over the weekend, our landline phone went dead. Router was still fine. We only noticed this morning so I unplugged the phone cable (which is undamaged) and tried it successfully in the test socket. I then swapped the phone cable back to the  normal phone socket, after which we had a dial tone again. Unscrewing the front plate had however upset the router again so that needed rebooting after all had been put back in place.

Right now it's all working but something, somewhere is not happy in our master socket. First suspects will be the phone and modem cables but it seems unlikely that they will both go faulty at the same time. Is it possible for the front plate itself to become damaged? Should I suspect the wiring inside? What would be the next logical step to troubleshoot this?

5 REPLIES 5
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Suspected issue with Master Socket, how do I troubleshoot?

@damnfinecoffee Welcome to the forum.  🙂

I'd suspect a dodgy faceplate. Plenty of Mk 3 faceplates on eBay for a tenner or less.

If doing any more testing etc on the master, it's prudent to de-power the router first.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
damnfinecoffee
Hooked

Thank you!

Faceplate will be cheap, the engineer needed to wire it probably not so much... but with two people working from home I don't want to take any risk...

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

No engineer needed.  🙂

See video:

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
damnfinecoffee
Hooked

Faceplate on order... wish me luck!!!

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Good luck!  🤞😁

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)