Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Increase In Call Charges

BobR1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sudden Increase In Call Charges

Recently I've been in two separate hospitals and not at home. I also don't have a Call Plan in place because I resolved a while back to only take incoming calls on my landline. For everything else I use my mobile. Usually I don't see any call charges on my bill.

Suddenly I'm seeing some call charges every month and I don't understand why.

How can I check if there's some kind of diversion in place? Or any other ideas as to what might be happening?

19 REPLIES 19
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Sudden Increase In Call Charges

@BobR1 Do you recognise the called numbers? Have any of them been over 60 minutes

John
BobR1
Rising Star

Hi Jab1, no none of them over 60mins. I can guess the origin of most although it's complicated with hospitals and all the different extensions they have.

Here's a case in point: on 1st January 2023 @ 17:28 I am charged by Plusnet for a eight minute call to my mobile. At the time I was lying in a bed at a London hospital. My mobile runs on the Lebara/Vodafone network so why are Plusnet charging me for anything?

jab1
Legend

Was the call TO your mobile made by anyone at home? Only calls made FROM your home will appear on your invoice.

John
BobR1
Rising Star

Nope - I live alone so the house was empty while I was in hospital.

jab1
Legend

Very weird then - I would be inclined to call PN and request an explanation.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Sounds like some form of Call forwarding is active . In which case you are charged for the forwarded call

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Good point, @MisterW . Wonder if the OP has inadvertently done this, but I always thought it was a feature you has to explicitly set up - and pay for?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1  you are correct , its is chargeable £2.50/m according to this https://www.plus.net/help/phone/call-features/

That it is enabled seems the most logical explanation

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That is £2.50pcm for having the service available, plus the cost of calls (as though dialled from home) if there is no call plan.

BobR1
Rising Star

Sorry guys but the only call forwarding option set is to send a call to my landline if the network cannot find my mobile. As I understand it that is treated as a incoming call and is not chargeable by Plusnet.

This as opposed to the other options where it can see my mobile and tries to establish a call with it e.g forward when busy, or unanswered or always.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@BobR1 wrote:

Hi Jab1, no none of them over 60mins. I can guess the origin of most although it's complicated with hospitals and all the different extensions they have.

Here's a case in point: on 1st January 2023 @ 17:28 I am charged by Plusnet for a eight minute call to my mobile. At the time I was lying in a bed at a London hospital. My mobile runs on the Lebara/Vodafone network so why are Plusnet charging me for anything?

This is a confusing description...

• The only thing which needs to be identified is the DESTINATION number recorded on your Plusnet landline bill - where the calls come from is not relevant
  • It the only dialled number is your mobile then there must be a diversion service in place
  • Do you have any alarm / monitoring service which in the case of an event dials your mobile?
  • If there are various (predominantly) low digit numbers on the call list (typically 123) then there could be a contact fault on the line giving rise to fantom pulse dialled calls

To switch off "divert all calls" dial: #21#

@BobR1 wrote:

The only call forwarding option set is to send a call to my landline if the network cannot find my mobile.

This as opposed to the other options where it can see my mobile and tries to establish a call with it e.g forward when busy, or unanswered or always.

Call divert on your MOBILE is something entirely different and will not appear on your landline bill ... unless the land line has call forwarding on no answer to your mobile...!

What is "it" in "other options where it can see my mobile and tries to establish a call with it ..."?

It appears that "it" is referring to two different unspecified entities, neither having anything to do with your landline service.

jab1
Legend

@Townman  / @MisterW  All yours - my brain is totally confused.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do you have any alarm / monitoring service which in the case of an event dials your mobile?

@Townman  that had crossed my mind but

Here's a case in point: on 1st January 2023 @ 17:28 I am charged by Plusnet for a eight minute call to my mobile

you would have thought in would a) not be an 8 minute call and b } would be obvious to @BobR1  where the call was from

@BobR1 can you remember who the call above was from ? and check whether they called your landline or mobile number ? (if they remember!)

BobR1
Rising Star

@MisterW

The 8 minute call was to my mobile from my son's mobile. Plusnet should have had nothing whatsoever to do with that call.