Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Socket Activation

scratchrat
Grafter

Second Socket Activation

Hello!
I have been with Plusnet for over a year and have found that I have a second phone socket in my house for the same phone line.
Is there a way I can have this activated so I can use both on the same line with different phones?
Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Second Socket Activation

I am not sure I understand the question but to cover the three options
If the second phone socket is on the same BT line then it should just work providing it is connected to the master socket.
Assuming you have a modern master socket - when you remove the lower faceplate are there any wires connected to it
If it is a completely separate line connecting to a different incoming BT wire then you could use it but only after paying for a second line rental and any associated connection charge
You can't have two different telephone numbers on the same line
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just to add if it is on the same line you must use a filter to attach a phone.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Hi Scratchrat,
If you want your second socket to become an extension of the first (ie part of the same phone line) then you could pay for BT to do the rewiring work to make this possible.  It's likely to cost around £110+ though so it may be better to find a local electrician to do this work for you as this is likely to be cheaper.
If you want an entirely separate phone line, then you'll need to pay us / another company that does line rental to deliver a service.
If you want to be able to make phonecalls on both sockets on the same line, then this won't be possible using PSTN.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Scratchrat,
If you want your second socket to become an extension of the first (ie part of the same phone line) then you could pay for BT to do the rewiring work to make this possible.  It's likely to cost around £110+ though so it may be better to find a local electrician to do this work for you as this is likely to be cheaper.
Doing it yourself will be cheaper still and is completely legal if all you need to do is connect it to the removable front face of the master socket
scratchrat
Grafter

I think I've been misunderstood. All I want is to be able to answer the phone in the bedroom without having to have wires trailing to the master socket in the main room of the flat. I dont want them on different lines and i dont want them to be able to do simultaneous sepearate calls.
I believe most people have more than one socket in their house?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Post moved to the original thread - I suggest ignoring the split off posts
Quote from: Oldjim
If the second phone socket is on the same BT line then it should just work providing it is connected to the master socket.
Assuming you have a modern master socket - when you remove the lower faceplate are there any wires connected to it
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Has your master socket got a removable lower half (with the test socket inside)?
If it has you attach the wire to the extension to the connectors on the back of the removable part. You will then need to have a filter in the bedroom socket as well as in the socket with the router. A tidier (but a little more costly solution) would be to buy one of these: http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php You connect the extension to the back of it in the same way but because the extension wiring is pre-filtered you would not need a filter in the bedroom. It also does away with the dangling filter where the router plugs in as it has a dedicated filtered ADSL socket.
If your master does not have a removable lower half you will need to plug a duplex jack like the one below in to the telephone side of your splitter (the filter must stay in the socket) and run an extension wire with a telephone jack on the end (you can buy kits with these in). You will not need a filter in the bedroom with this arrangement.
Edit: Image removed as I didn't look closely enough before posting - Ben has posed the correct image below.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd prefer a doubler with PSTN sockets, not RJ11 😛
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Embarrassed
Thanks Ben, I've edited my post.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cheesy
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You could always buy two DECT phones. The second one would only require a power socket in the bedroom.
This would negate having to run a cable from the master socket to the extension socket (or have I missed something?)
Brian
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mr
You could always buy two DECT phones.

That's what I'd do, well a 2-phone "set"  ;).
Saves on phone wiring and potential broadband interference too.
And is probably cheaper than getting an electrician in to redo the phone wiring..................
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've done the same at our house (got the pair of DECT phones, that is) because I'm usually upstairs in the 'man cave' and Helen's downstairs watching TV. Works fine, and has the added bonus of being able to make internal calls between the handsets Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and another advantage, my base station has a call handset button, works wonders when I have put one down and cant find it