Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam caller demanding i dont put the phone down on him

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Scam caller demanding i dont put the phone down on him

@Minivanman wrote:

To be fair they had not long changed from the old black, brown, and green - but still. 

Don't remember that Crazy2 though I do still have some red/black/green cable (pre '73?) and some brown/blue/green+yellow stripe from early '74.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Had a variation on the theme one day last week -caller claimed to be from my ISP -TALKTALK ?? - and that I was breaking the law by allowing my PC to spam others. He required IMMEDIATE access to my PC...or he would have to involve the police !!!Funny

wildthing666
Grafter

Simple solution to all scammers don't have the phone connected! Just the PC if you want to be contacted by anyone give them your mobile number and a time window to contact you telling them at all other times all calls are auto rejected. They soon get the message if they call at other times and are rejected.

The best I've done with a scammer is leaving them on hold 40+ minutes, some are that persistent they will hold on a long time I did the your call is important to us and kept playing motor head down the phone he hung up after 40+  minutes and never called back 

harrym1byt
Rising Star

We were constantly pestered by these scam/nuisance callers, at times there were 10 such calls per day. We were (still are for a day) on TT and they have caller filters you can enable if the caller presents a number and it was set to block it, but the rest still got through. The calls used to be people making the calls, but latterly they began using auto diallers, with either a pre-recorded message, or someone might pick up the call if you answered, or just silence. I would have bought a stand alone Trucall unit, but didn't want even more hardware around. Our phones were due for replacement anyway, so I looked around at what was available and spotted that a set of 4x BT8500 included the Trucall system built in, so I bought a set. These I configured to only allow callers in its phonebook straight through.

Those with their number withheld, are just rejected, those where the number is one which is not in the phonebook, get a message played to them to state their name and press #. If they do that, our phones ring, we hear there name then can choose to reject the call, accept it, or send it to voicemail.

All of these calls are logged and shown on the screen. The incoming nuisance calls continued, the BT8500 listed them, but the number gradually declined to zero within a couple of weeks of installing it. None what so ever since then at all. If genuine callers do fail to get through, then because their call was logged, I can always call them back.

Some genuine callers do withhold their number, such as GP's and utility providers, but I make sure they have my mobile number as a backup, which they ring instead.

It is great to get back to a system where if the phone rings - it is guaranteed to be a proper call. We have not had peace like this for many years Wink 

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

low tech fix, keep a high pitched whistle next to your phone, give them an ear full

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November