cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my phone number to a Voip provider but keeping Plusnet broadband

smithguy1993

Porting my phone number to a Voip provider but keeping Plusnet broadband

Hello, 

I'm currently using Plusnet for phone and broadband. I am looking to port my current number to a voip provider, however I have been told that if I do this then my broadband connection will be cut off too. 

Is there anyway around this so that I can keep my broadband running but port the number over?

@Gandalf - you seem to be the expert on this matter. 

Thank you in advance. 

14 REPLIES 14
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Porting my phone number to a Voip provider but keeping Plusnet broadband

Is there anyway around this so that I can keep my broadband running but port the number over?

In a word, No. With the exception of FTTP (which PlusNet dont currently supply) broadband requires an active phone line. Porting a number to voip will automatically cease the phone line and thus any associated broadband.

If you are looking at voip as a means of cheaper phone calls then it is possible with some voip suppliers to register the CLI of your phone line for any outgoing calls. Incoming calls would still, of course, arrive via your phone line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smithguy1993

Thank you for your reply. 

For context, I am operating a business from home using my home phone, but I am looking to move into a premises and use a voip phone system, however I would like to use the same number I am currently using at home. 

So if I port the number to the voip supplier, would I be able to reactivate the phone line and broadband at home (albeit with a different phone number), or would it require getting an engineer to install a second phone line at my house?

Thank you in advance. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So if I port the number to the voip supplier, would I be able to reactivate the phone line and broadband at home (albeit with a different phone number)

Yes, you should be able to reactivate the phone and broadband with a different number. However you would have to place a new order (with a new account) for broadband and phone once the cease has completed. There would be a delay (probably about 10 days) whilst the new service is provisioned and you may be liable for early termination charges on the existing account if you are still in contract.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smithguy1993

Thanks again for your reply. 

So is there no way to port my number to a voip provider without any interruption to my home internet? As having no access to internet for 10 days isn't really an option for me. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@MisterW may remember this. 

Technically it’s possible to export a number to VoIP while renumbering the existing line to a different number to keep it active, but in reality it’s not something we’d do, because there’s no functionality built into our systems to carry out this type of request as it’s not a service we offer. 

With the help of the vendor of our ordering system, I have done this for someone long ago as part of a trial, but having witnessed first hand what can go wrong, even with meticulous planning across a number of parties involved, I’m afraid that’s the reason we’d say no.

One of the things that can go wrong if we try and do it this ‘manual’ outside-of-process way is that the physical line ceases anyway and the number isn’t exported. 

Appreciate this isn’t the answer you’re looking for but I hope it helps provide an explanation. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Anoush  I do remember

there is one isp that will attempt it, but only to port to their own voip system whereby they effectively have control of both sides of the procedure.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

AIUI, once they (Andrews and Arnold ISP) have moved the number to VoIP (i.e. separated the two services) the customer is then free to move it elsewhere, e.g. Sipgate.  The internet service could also then be moved elsewhere.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/number-porting/port-your-landline-voip/

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

True, but you've got to transfer broadband and line to them first.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Agreed, but I was just pointing out the possibilities of what could be done, including not being stuck with using A&A for either service after they'd ported the number to VoIP. Smiley

I guess only the OP could decide whether the expense incurred outweighed the presumably minimum downtime involved in initially transferring from PN to A&A.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN wrote:

I guess only the OP could decide whether the expense incurred outweighed the presumably minimum downtime involved in initially transferring from PN to A&A.

Edited for clarity;

What I meant to say was "I guess only the OP could decide whether the expense incurred and the presumably minimum downtime involved in transferring from PN to A&A outweighs the benefit of liberating his number to VoIP".

(And he could always return his Internet service to PN afterwards if he so wished)

smithguy1993

Thank you for your help 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@MisterW wrote:

If you are looking at voip as a means of cheaper phone calls then it is possible with some voip suppliers to register the CLI of your phone line for any outgoing calls. Incoming calls would still, of course, arrive via your phone line.

With this approach, does the VoIP supplier facilitate a separate number for the VoIP service which will receive inbound calls?

If yes, one could consider taking out a call divert service on the existing phone diverted to the VoIP number.  The cost of diverted calls should be covered by an unlimited call plan.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

With this approach, does the VoIP supplier facilitate a separate number for the VoIP service which will receive inbound calls?

If yes, one could consider taking out a call divert service on the existing phone diverted to the VoIP number.  The cost of diverted calls should be covered by an unlimited call plan.

You can get a voip service both with and without an incoming number. Usually incoming numbers have a monthly cost although some will provide one free. Even though there may be no incoming PSTN style number, there is still a 'SIP ID' which can be used by others on the same voip supplier. For instance I have a localphone account with no incoming number, both a relative and the office also have a localphone account and so we can make/receive free calls between each other using our SIP ids. In addition I have a Sipgate account with two incoming PSTN numbers and my localphone account is configured to present one of these as an outgoing CLI.

Your idea of a call divert will work of course, but one of the main reasons for voip (I assume?) is to reduce costs and having an unlimited call plan sort of defeats that idea...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Agreed if cost is the driver.  I inferred that here the requirement is to be able to answer calls to the existing number somewhere other than at home ... which I now wonder if a simple divert to a mobile might be more pragmatic?