cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones compatable with VOIP

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Phones compatable with VOIP

When, by 2025 landline telephone services will be phased out in favour of the VOiP system wiil current landline phone handsets still be compatible or will subscribers have to purchase new products?

My own handset system is a BT4600 - still available for sale and an excellent product. Someone I know, not a Plusnet customer has been informed that this product is no longer compatible with the VOiP system. They have been persuaded to replace their almost new BT4600 with a new handset.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Phones compatable with VOIP

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Thanks for that John - it seems that there are many questions to be answered. One broadcaster and telecommunications supplier is already rolling out VOiP to subscribers. They have already admitted that there are problems with the system. I often speak socially to someone who is using the system - our call is often dropped for five seconds or so before resuming or being disconnected completely. That could be a real problem in an emergency call or where the caller has had to wait in a londg queue before being connected.

I sdee big problems looming in the future especially where vulnerable, elderly or those 1.5m people in this country who have no internet.

jab1
Legend

I'm no expert @cyrilclark1 , but I do know VOIP technology is improving all the time, as do most things, and by the time it is the default protocol, it will probably be as reliable as the current POTS - but with added advantages and disadvantages - we just need to adapt.

Can't remember if it was discussed in that topic, but there is a system being developed for the reducing number without an internet connection.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@cyrilclark1 

See. https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/PSTN-switch-off-can-we-have-a-PN-update/m-p/1845143#M34713
If the home doesn’t have access to fibre then the existing copper based ADSL/FTTC infrastructure can be used. This doesn’t mean that you also have to pay for Internet access. As the country slowly moves more and more to a fibre connection to the home the reliability will improve.

With respect to emergency calls, this will be an issue for some people. The obligation to maintain an ‘always on’ emergency service has been removed from landline based telecom companies by Ofcom, the assumption being the widespread use of mobile phones.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Re: Usage of mobile phones for emergency calls. In my area our mobile phone signal is frequently non existant; also after a protracted power outage mobile phones may, themselves have run out of battery power.

jab1
Legend

@cyrilclark1 Hopefully by the time this [-Censored-]-eyed plan comes to full fruition, mobile signals will be better, but who knows?

As regards the mobile phones power - it may just be me (and a number of others I know), but we have fully charged powerbanks, which typically can recharge the phones three or four times before they themselves are fully depleted.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If I recall correctly OpenReach have a digital product for VOIP only. It runs at 0.5mpbs which apparently is good enough for VOIP.

I aslo believe an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) can be used to only any current analogue phone. DECT phones and any equivilant may be different.

Brian