cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line checker - how do I use it

daviessheila

Phone line checker - how do I use it

Hi

I want to run a phone line checker but can't find a link to it. Does anuone have a link I can use or at least tell me where to find it. Many Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Phone line checker - how do I use it

daviessheila

Hi Jab 1.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately this only allows for a check by texting your number to plusnet. There used to be a link that would allow you to do a check direct from your PC. That's the link I'm looking for. It may be that Plusnet  have stopped this service but it was very useful. thanks again

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Original reply deleted I assume you are looking for the old useful phone test service. I hadn’t realised it’s disappeared.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@daviessheila I understand PN have changed a lot of the 'Help' options, but as I'm no longer a customer, I can't really check. I suggest you follow the current link.

John
daviessheila

Thanks baldrick 1 and Jab 1 Many Thanks for your replies but Jab 1 I think you are correct in saying that PN have removed that option. Shame as it was free and easy to use. Now you have to use your mobile to text them or to phone them. Backward step imo.

Thanks again

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @daviessheila, thanks for your post and welcome to our Community Forums.

I've just had a look and it looks like we've taken the link to the phone line tester away from the troubleshooting guide to to encourage folk to use our new & fancy text bot as the replacement. 

However, I've done some digging and found the direct link here: https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/ which looks to work still. Could you give it a go and let me know if it does? 

If it does work, for how long, I'm not sure but digital wizard @JonoH may know of its future plans. On a separate note, can we change his job title to "Digital Wizard"? Yes, we can. Disclaimer: we probably can't. Smiley

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
daviessheila

Hi Gandalf

Many Thanks. That worked a treat.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf wrote:

... to encourage folk to use our new & fancy text bot as the replacement. 

However, I've done some digging and found the direct link here: https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/ which looks to work still. Could you give it a go and let me know if it does? 

Which is terribly presumptuous that all users have a mobile phone by which to send a text message.  This new and fancy approach is not inclusive, it just makes somethings much more complex!  The user portal web interface needs updating to use the interface to the new and fancy text bot!

It is worth noting that the good old method available to all linked to above requires that the user is already logged into the portal because the "you need to be logged into do this and redirection after login" is still broken.  I though that was on the Digital Wizard's list... ?

All that said, thank you for the link - I need to go update my references to the telephone test service!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo corrected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Maybe Plusnet switched to this method as the old one seemed to sometimes give a "no fault found" conclusion even when there was one which was actually reported to Plusnet but without the customers knowledge. I seem to recall several posts on these forums in this regard.

I agree that this new method seems to involve amore complex procedure than the old one and, as has been said, assumes the availability of a mobile phone to report to Plusnet. Why not include a reporting link in the bot for customers to use?