cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls with 00000000000 shown as caller

martinandjanis

Phone calls with 00000000000 shown as caller

Several time over the last week the phone rings and the caller number is just a line of zero's, can anyone tell me what this is please?
23 REPLIES 23
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Phone calls with 00000000000 shown as caller

According to posts by others that have experienced this it sounds like cold callers: http://www.avforums.com/threads/silent-calls-from-no-00000000000.923079/
Are you signed up to TPS, I'd recommend doing that ASAP if not: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
martinandjanis

A big  thank you for your prompt reply, and yes, we are signed up to the TPS, but now I know what it is, I have set my Panasonic phone up to bar all calls with this number.  Thanks again. Smiley
dick:quote
demonix01
Grafter

I had one of these calls this afternoon, which seems to be strange considering my phone line only went live a little over 48 hours ago and that was the second unsolicited call I'd received (unless plusnet recycles old numbers that have become available again), but thanks to what martinandjanis has said (since I have a panasonic cordless phone) I've put the number into the blocked callers list.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Suggest you go "ex-directory" as well to avoid some of these things, it can help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Plusnet automatically make new connections ex directory
Anotherone
Champion

Might not be if they transferred in, it's always worth checking. The other thing, don't give your landline number to any organisation that doesn't absolutely need it. Give them, a mobile, it can put off some of the UK based pests.
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Suggest you go "ex-directory" as well to avoid some of these things, it can help.

Being ex-directory makes no difference to if you get these type of calls or not
Anotherone
Champion

I didn't say it makes no difference. I said it can help. And it CAN make a difference. I have an ex-directory number and Plusnet phone service and I do not get such calls on any regular basis. I've had about one in 6 months and before that, over a year at a guess.
Bud
Grafter

It makes no difference at all,  most of these calls are done by just going through number ranges.  Being on the TPS is more helpful but still doesn't apply to overseas calls.
Being ex directly means nothing when they are just going through number ranges, as I have known with having 2 lines ( one ex directory and the other listed) and was able to time the time between the calls between the 2 numbers I had.
demonix01
Grafter

Considering the information that has already been has stated that the call was from an overseas call centre, TPS isn't going to be much use but if you have the ability to block calls from specific numbers then you should take advantage of it.
Anotherone
Champion

demonix01, the OP didn't say it came from an overseas call centre. There's no evidence as to where that particular call came from, even though it may most likely be from overseas, with CLI spoofing it could have been anywhere.
Bud, you cannot say it makes NO difference, you do not know how everyone else's lines may be affected. Whilst there are lot of these calls made using sequential diallers - a lot do come from the UK - that won't always make a difference as you've experienced, but not all calls are generated in that way.
Being ex-directory AND TPS registered CAN make a difference, especially if you do happen to get any such calls that have a genuine Caller ID and are UK based.
The current round of a significant number of such calls is coming from UK companies trying to flog new boilers supported by government grants. The last lot, and still occurs periodically, was PPI recovery.
Telling the company to ensure your number is removed from such sequential dialler lists as you are TPS registered, AND reporting the number to the ICO, whether you manage to speak to the company or not, will eventually cut these calls.
There is an organisation based in Swindon that maintains and flogs some of these sequential dialler lists, but I forget their details at the moment.
If the call comes from overseas, then things get more tricky, but there are now a significant number of exchanges that are reporting the CLI on International calls as BT seem to have removed the blocking.  BT have also reduced the line clearing time when the called party hangs up, down to a matter of seconds instead of the 3 minutes it has been for a number of years. That latter change should help reduce the number of victims of the various bank card scams that have been doing the rounds in recent times.
I have experienced virtually all of the above on different lines over the years, but the cases that are currently the most problematic seem to be those where the number you are allocated (if taking a new line or changing number) is one which has been "recycled".
In case you aren't aware, there is currently a spate of "pest" calls a lot of which are using spoofed CLIs of genuine UK numbers that are not theirs. Number blocking would seem to be about the only way to deal with that type of call.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Anotherone
there is currently a spate of "pest" calls a lot of which are using spoofed CLIs of genuine UK numbers that are not theirs. Number blocking would seem to be about the only way to deal with that type of call.

Having suffered with receiving up to THIRTY of these marketing calls per day (until I got a call blocker),  I can tell you that the CLI spoofers use all sorts of tricks to get you to answer the phone - the most cunning is to present a caller ID which is YOUR OWN NUMBER !
This works particularly well, because modern phones with a built in telephone directory will often be able to store a contact name with more than one associated telephone number, such as home landline, work landline, mobile, and VoIP.  So when you receive a call with an ID that matches your own telephone number, then you see the caller name of a person that you are expecting - i.e. your wife/husband/partner/child,  so the chances are that you will answer it - Doh!.
Solution - add your own phone number to your call blocker's exclusion list !.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Just before I caught up with the latest posts in this thread, I was reading another thread in this forum entitled Any way to display caller ID on Windows? in which a program called 'PhoneTray' was suggested.
I googled the program and came across a thread discussing the merits of PhoneTray which got me interested in having a play with it myself when I get time.  If you read down the thread 3 or 4 pages there is what appeared to be a fairly comprehensive setup/training guide.
So if anybody has an old dialup voice/fax modem (or a computer with one built-in) and fancies rigging up their own call blocker system with some interesting possibilities why not give it a go?
OK, it might not offer all the facilities of an expensive dedicated device but it looks like it might do an excellent job and might provide some fun!
Tip: According to the thread linked to above you will probably be best to use one of the Free versions rather than the paid-for Pro version as apparently that uses some sort of 'phone home' mechanism during the registration process.
Edit - typo
RJM
Rising Star

PhoneTray is excellent as there many, many configuration options to play around with.
You can copy  alternative "answering messages" into the programme  if you want  -  the standard ones are geared-up to the Canadian/USA users.
I particular like the "Zap" feature!
You will have search around for the free version as it is no longer available from the official PhoneTray site.