Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing out home phones

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Phasing out home phones

@MixerBIscuit Those instructions are pure rubbish - who is this 'VoIP  Provider' - they need to update their guidance?

Ah - having clicked the last link , I see the dreaded Vonage - they are, by all accounts, useless.

Also note, those 'instructions' have not been updated to take into account the SoGEA provision.

John
JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

The key thing is to make sure the sequencing of changes is managed carefully.  The major issue is really that you will most likely be without a landline-type phone for a few days whilst things get sorted out, as it's a far from seamless process.

The only side that can start the number transfer/port is the company that you contract to provide a VOIP phone service.  As Plusnet aren't interested in doing this it adds a layer of complication, as you need to contract with someone else.  I chose A&A, as they were recommended here, and elsewhere, and have to say they are very good.

So, what you have to do is sort out the best time to change your existing broadband and phone service to a broadband-only service.  Logical time to do this is at the end of a contract period.  Before then you need to get prepared by either making sure that your router has a VOIP phone socket (some newer ones do) or by buying an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) or a DECT phone system that includes internet connectivity.  You also need to get familiar with how to set up the hardware to be able to connect to your chosen VOIP provider.

When this is sorted, and you're OK with what needs to be set up, change your phone and broadband to a broadband only service.  When you do this you will lose the phone connectivity, but your landline phone number will be put into limbo for 30 days.  Once the changeover has completed, set up a contract with your chosen VOIP provider and request that they recover your landline number from Plusnet.  Plusnet are obliged to expedite this, but only on request from your new VOIP provider.  In the case of A&A they are now used to doing this and it seems to work OK.

As soon as your chosen VOIP provider has access to your own number they can set thing up their end, so all you then need to do is make sure that your ATA, router with integrated phone port or DECT system is set up to be able to login to the VOIP provider's system.

I chose to set my system up initially with a new local area code phone number, so I could test things out.  I believe it's possible to request that your old phone number be transferred across to replace such a test number, but it's not something I've tried.

MixerBIscuit
Dabbler

Thank you for the info I will keep it on file for when I start the project.

I feel realy sorry for the people who only have the phone line and no BB

according to the internet 70% ish of households still use a landline! whether

its broadband as well is not stated. I will post again on a few months. In my thinking this

process should be an automated option on the website, but thats for the fairies......len..

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Another option that maybe available to some Plusnet customers is to move to an LLU provider, usually Sky, Talktalk and others that piggyback on their networks.
I've looked at this for a friend, as their contact ends in a few months and Now, sky's value brand can still migrate a POTS landline. This should give a good few years of service until exchange closure which from my understanding is around 2030.
They are not in a fibre priority area
LLU exchanges

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/llu/exchanges
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
jab1
Legend

On current plans though, they will still lose the PSTN-based phone in 2025.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 397

@jab1 I'm not sure exactly what is happening with the LLU providers?. Since they have their own equipment and billing etc, they (presumably) can continue to provide a copper based landline. At the moment they can still provide a new MPF ( FTTC & phone ) over an LLU circuit  providing FTTP is not available at the premises.

What happens at the end of 2025 though ? Since their connection into the telephone network is digital (just like a voip connection) then its possible they can still provide the service , unless of course OR want to decommision the exchange equipment (which is possible)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Hadn't thought it through when I posted that, sorry - mind was only half on it - but if, as expected, many exchanges get totally decommissioned...?

John
MixerBIscuit
Dabbler

I was wondering about the LLU, as the openreach "rent-a-pole" and "rent-a-hole" opposite seems to be sprouting a miriad of fibre connections for each operator, it would appear that this is not applying to the newbie group of providers and each is providing its own connection and infrastructure. Will it still apply to Opn Rch. On the main topic I was just looking at the offer from EE and they are offering a digital VOIP phone as part of their package. They are also offering basic broadband at the same price as I am being quoted by PNET. The only printable words that come to mind "What is going on" why don't they close plusnet and move us all to EE. will someone at Plusnet please take control of this ensuing chaos......Len

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

When I asked about moving to Sky last year they were going to convert my number to their Digital Voice Service.

Not sure if TalkTalk do the same.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 no need to be sorry, I hadnt really thought much about LLU either, TBH I'm not sure many people have...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

All these companies only headline their FTTC/FTTP services with VOIP telephony if you need/want it. You'll really struggle to find anything else. And I can understand that; they just want to avoid the inevitable car-crash when all landlines are forced to VOIP.

They're just leaving all the problems for BT Retail to sort out I think; and they seem to be wholly unprepared for the consequences.

Mark63
Rising Star

@Mustrum wrote:

When I asked about moving to Sky last year they were going to convert my number to their Digital Voice Service.

You can indeed move to Sky, and you will (usually) be able to adopt your existing 'BT/Plusnet' landline number on their Digital Voice service.

However, beware, if you move house with Sky (even within the same road) you will be issued with a new phone number. Their provisioning system does not allow for the transfer of your number when moving, though ironically there's no issue when you join from another ISP (but I think you'd also lose the number, if moving away from Sky)

JSHarris
Aspiring Pro

@MisterW wrote:

What happens at the end of 2025 though ? Since their connection into the telephone network is digital (just like a voip connection) then its possible they can still provide the service , unless of course OR want to decommision the exchange equipment (which is possible)

I read an article fairly recently which mentioned that a part of the reason OR were pushing to do this before the FTTP rollout has completed was so they could start selling off exchanges.  These are often worth a lot of money in rural areas, as many (pretty much all the ones I've seen around here) are ideal residential plots, often smack in the middle of villages.

Given that many (most?) rural villages will have a prohibition on extending the village development boundary any plot that comes up for sale within that is going to attract a premium price.  Add in that it will also already have services and many of them will be seen as pretty desirable plots.  Our village isn't particularly desirable, but a small building plot (enough for a 2 bedroom house) was sold about 5 years ago for £240k.  Could be a nice little earner for OR, selling all these old exchanges off.

Mark63
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what is happening with the LLU providers?. Since they have their own equipment and billing etc, they (presumably) can continue to provide a copper based landline.

Well, I would have thought after December 2025, Openreach will want to cease maintaining the copper trucks between the exchanges and PCP cabinets, so that would scupper the LLUs for providing PSTN ?  (Not withstanding the points about the exchanges themselves)  

Copper between the PCPs and the premisses will exist (and be used) in many areas for years and years still..... 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Mark63 

You can indeed move to Sky, and you will (usually) be able to adopt your existing 'BT/Plusnet' landline number on their Digital Voice service.

However, beware, if you move house with Sky (even within the same road) you will be issued with a new phone number. Their provisioning system does not allow for the transfer of your number when moving

There's no technical reason why a voip (Digital voice) number can't be retained when moving. There was a problem retaining a landline number when moving to another exchange, but that is not  a restriction for voip. I have a voip number that was originally on an exchange 50 miles away!

In addition, not being able to transfer the number could well be in violation of OFCOM General conditions for CPs (commuinication providers). Its unclear whether the GC's cover moving with the same CP ?

but I think you'd also lose the number, if moving away from Sky)

Now that definitely IS in violation of OFCOM General conditions!

Well, I would have thought after December 2025, Openreach will want to cease maintaining the copper trucks between the exchanges and PCP cabinets, so that would scupper the LLUs for providing PSTN ? 

Very possibly, although some may well still be needed for ADSL where FTTC & FTTP are not available. In which case they will need to retain the exchange kit. Who knows what OR are planning ?