Did you mean: 

PSTN Switch Off and Contract Renewal

FIXED
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: PSTN Switch Off and Contract Renewal

@HPsauce 

I agree with @MisterW , most VoIP devices seem to be fairly limited in how many VoIP accounts they can manage.

Some VoIP routers (built-in ATA) also have the facility to run multiple SIP accounts, and might be the way to go if an all-in-one solution is required.

e.g. the last couple of DrayTek VoIP routers I used could handle 12 SIP accounts.  FRITZ!Box also make VoIP routers which can handle multiple accounts.

Schiehallion
Grafter

@bmc Have attached the info from the broadband checker link you provided.

The property dates from 2000 and the existing cable is underground. Think it runs through a duct to the house, then through a grey duct on the front of the house, before the cable goes through the wall (below floor level).

I'm sure the fibre would use the existing duct.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Schiehallion 

Thanks for the information.

Not entirely sure as to what to make of it. The Checker results shows "KC12" under Availability while the narrative shows "UG provan clear" whcih means the duct has been checked and found to be clear. When they checked mine a few years ago they left a blue draw rope in place for the fibre.

I think KC12 indicates a survey would be done before the install given the copper feed goes under the house.

Brian

Schiehallion
Grafter

@HPsauce @Baldrick1 @MisterW @RobPN I'm not worried about the VOIP side of things. It just needs to have one working number, to replicate the existing phone service. His existing phone is cordless and doesn't have a battery back up, so doesn't work through a power cut either.

I take the point about trying to do any preparation work myself, to try and get a neater installation. I did this at my own house, when I got FTTC installed.

Still wouldn't be a straight forward fibre run but, he has a floored loft with power. Could the ONT be located in the loft (house is a bungalow)? I could easily run an Ethernet cable from there to the router.

Schiehallion
Grafter

Just had another thought about this. I put my fathers details into the SKY site. Presumably because they use LLU, they are offering their Superfast 80 (which I think is FTTC for £28 a month). They do their own version of digital voice (£13 a month for unlimited calls).

I think this may be the way to go. Anyone have any comments about SKY seemingly offering FTTC when BT, Plusnet and Zen don't? Have I picked this up right?

Should he be able to get this done without an engineer's visit? Should SKY be able to take over his landline number?

Not wanting to move him away from Plusnet, but this seems to be a hassle-free solution.

bmc
Hero

@Schiehallion 

If a survey is done before the install you would need to request to being present (if that's possible) to discuss various options.

An external box is fitted to the wall (though very occasionally they can be indoors) - I think it's a CSP (Customer Splice Point).

Is the loft floored and does it have easy access? The installer won't go near it if it isn't.

Do the current ducts come straight out of the ground and is it possible the duct continues under the house to where the Master Socket is? Would this be an acceptable place for the ONT?

Unless you can be present when a survey is done (if one is done) you wouldn't know for certain what OR would be happy / able to do.

Brian

Edit : As Sky have their own equipment they are not affected by the PTSN closure (as yet). I believe in time they will be.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Schiehallion Everything I've read suggests that Sky will be affected by the "stop sell" rule and NOT be able to provide an analogue/POTS phone service, it will have to be VOIP.

As for FTTC (Sky possibly) vs FTTP (BT/PN/EE etc.) that's a whole different issue that doesn't seem at all clear.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/about-internet-calls
I have a neighbour who moved to Sky some months ago and Sky moved her to their version of VoIP.

Use this site to find the exchange to confirm whether Sky LLU is available.  . https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/exchanges/find

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Schiehallion
Grafter

@HPsauce @bmc @Baldrick1 

The SKY phone service being offered is an internet one. The SKY service looks so appealing as it should just be a case of plugging their router into the existing master socket, and plugging the phone directly into the router. Doesn't seem like any installation work is required.

As it's an internet phone service PSTN switch off shouldn't be an issue.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I think this may be the way to go. Anyone have any comments about SKY seemingly offering FTTC when BT, Plusnet and Zen don't? Have I picked this up right?

@Schiehallion the SKY offer seems strange!. SKY still use Openreach VDSL to supply FTTC ( they use LLU for the phone ) so if they were offering FTTC then others would be able to offer it ( or SoGEA at least ). The availability checker does not show VDSL as available so SKY wont be able to supply FTTC.

My guess is that their Superfast 80 is actually a entry level FTTP product. There's a similar query on the SKy forum here https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Sky-Broadband-Superfast-80/td-p/3707435

I suggest you contact SKY to clarify exactly what they are offering , although that thread linked above seems to imply that their CSC are just as confused.

edit: from here https://www.choose.co.uk/broadband/sky/reviews/superfast-80/#upgrade it would seem that SKY will use whatever technology is available to supply Superfast, so in your case it would be FTTP apparently

Sky Superfast Broadband is an affordable option for customers living in both superfast fibre and full fibre enabled areas, with availability spanning 97% of UK homes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Schiehallion wrote:

I just counted through my dad's call logs for last month and it totalled 600 mins. It may be that the Zen 1000 minute limit won't be an issue after all.

In case it is, in addition to the 1000 minutes for £6 option, there's Digital Voice Extra at £17.99 for unlimited calls.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

@Batfrog wrote:

@Schiehallion another option which is cost effective especially if you make a lot of calls is to have FTTP or SOGEA from Plusnet when there is a good offer on (currently £26 for 74Mb) and port the number to ‘Virtual Landline’ on their unlimited calls (inc Mobiles) for £8.75 pcm so £35ish in total. This is what I did a few months ago and so far all is working very well. A&A are excellent but not cheap if you make a lot of calls, particularly mobiles. My ‘children’ all use mobiles and don’t have landlines so calling them would be quite expensive on a non-inclusive package.

Most VOIP services are on a rolling monthly contract so if you don’t like the service you can change very quickly.

The downside in porting your number to any VOIP service is that it takes a couple of weeks to complete, so no phone service during that period.

Another anomaly with VOIP, particularly for older folk is that even if you’re only ringing your next-door neighbour you have to dial the area code as well. An elderly friend of mine who did much the same as me can’t get his head around the fact that the local exchange becomes irrelevant and he has to dial all 11 digits when ringing locally to numbers he’s called for decades.

My plan was, and is to ditch VOIP and go mobile only on a handset that never leaves the house if VOIP doesn’t work out which is probably the cheapest option anyway.

Edit: I should have added DON'T port your number until FTTP or SOGEA is up and running or you will lose your broadband and your number.

Yes, this rushed hair-brained scheme is ok for those with a single phone they don't use much, but is a pain for small businesses with several lines. And for their customers who won't remember the doctor's or neighbour's phone numbers and no phone book to look them up in. And what happens to Yellow Pages? If we're looking for a plumber we don't want to wade through several mobile numbers which have no directory to speak of. Cellphone/mobile numbers aren't organised geoghraphically.

Schiehallion
Grafter

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread.

@MisterW Thanks for pointing out that SKY would install a Fibre cable. I hadn't picked up on this point.

I think my father basically has 2 options:

1) Renew his existing ADSL contract for another 2 years and accept he may lose his landline number (at end of 2025). But, hopefully he would keep his ADSL broadband (albeit without a phone service) and could then get a VOIP service (with a new number).

2) Bite the bullet and get a Full Fibre connection and transfer his existing number to a VOIP type service. Think this may be the way to go, as it seems that because he is in a Full Fibre area, Openreach will want to try and remove the copper connection.

There is always the option of using mobile broadband such as this one from Three. https://www.three.co.uk/broadband/home-broadband . However, I think he would be better with a fixed connection.

bmc
Hero

@Schiehallion 

While there is an OpenReach digital product for ADSL only (SOTAP I think) I doubt your father could be transferred to it as FTTP is available at his address.

From what you say the two options are

Stay with PN and port the number to a VOIP provider.

Transfer to another ISP who do both internet and VOIP (BT, Zen and others).

If staying with PN you could renew the current contract to buy some time. PN will happily upgrade mid contract (at the cost of a new contract).

Brian

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The "is always the option" option? You may like to thoroughly investigate the robustness of mobile broadband in the immediate area. Don't accept the providers' coverage maps/representations as gospel truth. They are 'guesstimates' IMO.

One of my family members is currently having to route mobile phone calls over the Internet on an ad-hoc basis (which doesn't always work when done that way).