cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving incoming calls

greengrass
Grafter

Not receiving incoming calls

I was expecting a call this evening at 7P.M from someone who is always on time, I gave it until 7:15P.M and called them.

They told me when calling my number they get the message "The person you are calling is temporarily unavailable, please try later."

I can make outgoing calls and the Broadband internet is working.

I am using a BT500 Advanced call blocker, so I tried the old fashioned telephone and when I call either phone I get the same message. So I do not know how long I have not been able to receive incoming calls. The last call I got was about 2 weeks ago.

I have unplugged everything, restarted the router and still have the same problem.

I also tried the telephone in the main socket in the hallway.

Could someone please try to find out what the problem is?

5 REPLIES 5
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Not receiving incoming calls

Have you tried without the BT8500 plugged in, with just the old fashioned phone connected.
I've got a BT8500, they are very good at blocking unwanted calls, but take some configuring, they even block other phones on extension sockets from receiving the blocked calls.

Edit, additional:
Have you checked if caller ID is still working on your line? Without that being active the BT 8500, depending on how it's configured, may block all calls thinking they are from a number withheld.

greengrass
Grafter

Thanks for the reply nrp.

I have been using the BT500 for abourt 13 months now with no problem.

To answer your question, yes I unplugged the BT500 completely and tried the old fashioned telephone but still got the same error message.

I telephoned technical support earlier and got through to a helpful person (I wont post his name in case it is not allowed).

He suggested I take the face plate off the main socket and plug the telephone into the test socket. He then called me and the telephone did ring.

He suggested I could try to find an electrician or engineer to sort out the problem with the extension (because Openreach would charge me £50) but before that try fixing the face plate back on and use the main socket, the internet speed might also be better.

He said that sometimes just taking off the plate and putting it back on sorts the problem out.

I have now got the microfilter with telephone and HomeHub plugged into the extension socket and when I call with my mobile the telephone does ring.

Strange, I hope it lasts.

I was dreading calling customer services but have to say he was great to deal with, very calm and explained things well.

The ticket will remain open for 14 days.

Edit. I have just read your edit. Thank-you, I will bear that in mind for the future.

I just asked my mother to call me, she has a withheld number and call guardian worked correctly.

I telephoned PN  about 4 weeks ago and they confirmed that caller ID is switched on.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Glad you've got it sorted.

Thumbs_Up

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear you've experienced problems with receiving calls, however I'm glad to hear it's at least sorted for now.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
greengrass
Grafter

Thanks for the message HarryB.

The experience and the conversation with customer support has taught me to always try the test socket first if a similar situation occurs again.

All the best.