cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisey Line

CraigW
Dabbler

Noisey Line

Ok folks, maybe one of the experts can explain something to me.
Whenever it rains I cannot make calls because of a really loud crackle on the line, even when I have a known good phone plugged straight into the master socket test port with everything else disconnected.
(No filter, no extensions, no router etc)
A line test tells me I have a problem with my equipment in my premises, I've now tried 3 different phones and still get the crackle.
How can rain effect equipment that doesn't get wet when it rains?
3 REPLIES 3
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Noisey Line

Quote from: CraigW
A line test tells me I have a problem with my equipment in my premises, I've now tried 3 different phones and still get the crackle.

What line test is this?? as far as I know, no line test will be able to pinpoint where the issue is. (Just tell you there is one)
To me, this sounds like your telephone line goes through an underground DP, and when it's raining its got water in it. BT tend to just twist cables together so it's probably just water ingress on one of the connections...*
It'd be worth knowing if you can do a speed test when you know the phone is poop, i'd expect the speed to be pretty impacted too if the above is true.

* Speculation. I've had this issue before and repeated engineer visits. fortunately finally they sent someone when it was raining and they could see what was happening.... IIRC the Upload speed was diabolical when the above was true.
Some more info would be great though (impact on ADSL, does it last long after the rain has stopped but the ground is dry, have you noticed anything else happening other than rain? (e.g. heating is on much more)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: Matt_2k34
Quote from: CraigW

What line test is this?? as far as I know, no line test will be able to pinpoint where the issue is. (Just tell you there is one)

Looks like OP called us earlier on in the afternoon before posting. We ran a line test and it returned the results that a fault was found. Although it can't be 100% accurate it does try to give a rough estimate of where the fault is. In this case it returned CA (Customer Apparatus)
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
CraigW
Dabbler

Indeed I did report a fault a while before I posted!
I'm just trying to work out how my equipment which is inside the property can be causing a fault when it rains!