Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix slack drop wire

FIXED
JRT
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

How to fix slack drop wire

After a visit to my nearby pole by OpenReach last Saturday (July 16th), I noticed that the drop wire between pole and house is now very slack and "blowing around in the wind".  I'm concerned that it will eventually let go and disconnect my line. How does one go about getting this sorted as its outside the property and therefore a BT/OpenReach issue?

Many thanks

20 REPLIES 20
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: How to fix slack drop wire

@JRT 

If you consider it a safety issue you can contact OR direct - it's the one time they'll speak to you.

Look at https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/damage-health-and-safety

Brian

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

But is it really a safety issue?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Mustrum Possibly not, but I wonder if it could be a contributory factor to the OPs other topic?

John
JRT
Rising Star

Probably not a safety issue, but certainly an issue if/when it falls off! I will contact BT during today and post their response. 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My pole to property line hangs lower than any of the other lines from that pole.

It has done so for a lot of years and swings wildly in a storm but it's still there.

They are pretty tough.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JRT
Rising Star

Thanks for that. It’s comforting to know other folks have a similar issue. I do recall from folks I used to know in BT that things like this were picked up by line folks as and when the pole was visited. Now, if it isn’t on the job sheet it won’t get fixed!  Unless, of course, it disconnects entirely and causes a fault. Which could have been avoided - if only. 

I will pursue the BT link and see what happens.  I'll post back if (when) anything changes

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Have you had your dropwire sorted yet?

Let me know when you could be available for a visit if not and I can arrange an engineer with you to fix. The engineers are available weekday timeslots (and occasionally Saturday's) of 8am to 1pm or 1pm to 6pm.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Just a thought @Gandalf, why would a customer need to be available for a dropwire 'adjustment'?  Surely it'd just be done from the pole end by re-twisting it onto the 'curly tensioner'?  Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Correct me if I'm wrong but the drop wire connects on to a customers property, so the engineer would need permission to access their property and this is arranged in the form of a visit. 

Having said that, the type of fault I'd be raising is an "overhead damage report" which tasks out an engineer within 24 hours with no option to book an "appointment" at that stage. 

I think the main question at this stage: is this resolved yet? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Gandalf 

Are you aware the OP had / has a second thread running on performance issues.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah maybe it's best getting the drop wire fixed first before investigating a speed issue. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JRT
Rising Star

Hi Anoush,

The drop wire issue is still outstanding, so thanks for picking this up. Suitable slots would be weekday afternoons (1-6 pm) this week or next week from Wednesday (3rd August) onward.

Please let me know what happens next.

Regards,

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Cool. I've raised the task now with Openreach and an engineer should be allocated within 24 hours. 

I can't guarantee they'll go out in the afternoon as this type of task is classed as external in the supplier system, even though I can be reasonably sure the engineer will need access to your property.

The engineer should call you either way though and if you aren't around when they do call, then they'd likely pass the job back to us and I can arrange an appointment with you for a specific timeslot.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JRT
Rising Star

Brilliant, thank you.  Someone should be around for access if required.