Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop receiving text messages on my home phone

johnlbuk
Dabbler

How do I stop receiving text messages on my home phone

The title says it all.
I am getting irritated by indecipherable text messages coming on my plus net home phone line.
Is there any way of blocking them??? Without blocking mobile phone calls of course!
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
catelliott
Grafter

Re: How do I stop receiving text messages on my home phone

Hi johnlbuk Smiley
If you wish to adjust the settings for the SMS to Voice Service, please dial the following number.
0800 587 5252

It will read out your telephone number and also advise of the current option selected.
The default option is the Watershed option.
The options are

1) Any time
2) Watershed ( 09:00pm to 09:00am )
3) Standard ( 11:00pm to 07:00am )
4) Late Night ( 12:00am to 06:00am )
5) Off

These changes normally take effect within 20 minutes.
Let us know how you get on! Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Where is this information on the Plusnet website
catelliott
Grafter

In all honesty, Oldjim, I wasn't able to find it on the website.
I found it on one of Adam's forum posts from a while back (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102472.msg870735.html#msg870735)
To be honest, it's not a problem the majority of our users end up having. I'll see about getting it added to the Community Library for future reference Smiley
johnlbuk
Dabbler

Thanks for the information catelliott.
I rang the number twice (the BT option service) and was informed that the number had opted NOT to receive text messages at any time!!!
I rang again just to confirm that I was hearing correctly.

I sent a text from my mobile and it still got through.
Any thoughts???
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Not from an EE phone by any chance was it ? See Q102 in this BT wholesale document https://www.btwholesale.com/shared/document/Support/FAQ/Voice/Wholesale-FLT-FAQs-v2.pdf

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

johnlbuk
Dabbler

MisterW
I have no idea about those sending the messages but my mobile that i tested with was T-mobile ie EE.
The section that seemed to apply was :-
Q102. I have opted out of the BT Voice Text service, but I am getting Voice Text messages from another company, T-Mobile.
How do I stop them coming to me?
A102. If you wish to opt out from receiving T-Mobile messages you will need to dial 07953966066 from the line that you wish to opt out.
I followed the instructions and when I try texting from my T-mobile phone to my fixed line as a test, I get nothing through my fixed line and the following message on my mobile
Sorry, the person you texted has decided not to accept text messages. Messages will be charged but cannot be delivered to (and then gives my fixed line number.
Thanks SO much MisterW
catelliott    This could really do with being somewhere in Plusnet web site as part of an opt out note together with the BT number.
So far, I am one happy bunny!!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm happy that worked for you. It seems odd to me though, that you have to contact EE directly ( and pay for the call! ) to stop them sending text messages to your phone. If you've turned off the BT SMS service it really ought to stop ALL text mesages.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catelliott
Grafter

This could really do with being somewhere in Plusnet web site as part of an opt out note together with the BT number.

We're going to see if we can get all of this info added to the Community Library for future reference Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Cat,
I think someone ought to be finding out why EE take no notice of the BTw opt out. I assume that other mobile operators do since I haven't seen any information to the contrary.

catelliott
Grafter

I believe it may be due to Orange/ T-Mobile/ EE using a different platform for Voice Text, meaning that it requires a separate opt-out.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Not quite sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that EE do their own translation, for all landline destinations, from SMS to Voice and then make a voice call ? rather than sending an SMS to the BT system and relying on it's response. 

catelliott
Grafter

From what I understand, EE/ Orange/ T-Mobile use a different method for sending these text to speech messages than other networks. What the difference in method is, I'm not sure, it may be to do with the way to text is converted to speech, but I can't confirm this.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

AFAIK, the text is converted to speech by the BTw end, as it is BT WLR kit that knows if you have a text enabled phone and CallerID active - both required to receive text as text (and send text).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

AO, That was my understanding, and it's only BTw that can determine whether the phone is opted out of receiving messages. EE don't seem to abide by this opt-out and you appear to have to opt out of their system directly.