Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOME PHONE Line Crackling

Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

HOME PHONE Line Crackling

PLusnet Please Help

My Home phone Line Crackles when making a call.

On the 4th October until 9th October telephone line was out of order, and crackled loudly

The phone line was put back in working order, but it still crackles.

My Plusnet fibre extra connection has slowed down from 30 +Mbps to around 16Mbps

It has been suggested that the telephone line that is crackling is causing issue for my broadband, please can you check my telephone crackle fault please and rectifty my slow broadband speed, thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: HOME PHONE Line Crackling

Hi @Sparkrace22 

Try and disconnect everything from your line (to rule out it being internal wiring) and the test socket to see if it makes any difference. It could be something within your property.

Also try a 17070 option 2 quiet line test, the point of that is you can hear the line with no noise.

Sounds to me like you have a fault, but you need to rule out it being inside.

Also, as you have a landline fault then it probably is affecting your broadband. As you've noticed. So you have to go down the route of getting that fixed first, as your broadband won't perform how you want it to until you do.

Sparkrace22
Rising Star

My home phone connections have all been replaced by  BT Openreach, inside and outside  27 February 2019

Renewed the Master socket with 2 outlets, ie phone & fibre. Also my incoming supply box was corroded

My phone & Fibre Extra was perfect until BT worked in their exchange and something went wrong as a few of us in our close had no phone line but we had broadband, It is since then that my speed has suffered.

Last night I did a BT wholesale performance test.

Test was 16.49Mbps, IP Profile for line is 29.1Mbps

The result message is further testing required & service provider needs to investigate fault, and an error occured.

Sparkrace22
Rising Star

Tried the Quiet Line test, and to be honest seems Fine, no crackles

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

@Sparkrace22

Run a line test here https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter to report a phone fault but if the test doesn’t flag a fault then raise a fault ticket at faults.plus.net making sure you select the option that your phone’s noisy so it goes into the correct queue for a faults agent to pick up and investigate further 

Sparkrace22
Rising Star

Thanks Thrall, have done line test no faults found.

will try & raise fault ticket using faults.plus.net 

Sparkrace22
Rising Star

@Thrall 

Have raised a ticket re problem with Phone & my Fibre, thats nearly stopped at 13Mbps!

Plusnet have replied quickly, and are on the case, many thanks for the link you sent me, much appreciated

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

Awesome. Phone faults tend to be prioritised over broadband but once your phone’s fixed your broadband should work a lot better. 

barrylee

I have been experiencing crackling on my phone for months  I have made several calls to Plusnet and when they test the line no fault is shown I have had an engineers visit and he went to the exchange and said that he heard a crackling on the line and replaced a cable he also checked all the joints on my phone line ,I have replaced all the filters and my phone and there is still an intermittent fault giving a noisy line the people on the other end cant hear it ,when I redial a number the noise stops also if somebody phones me  and the line is noisy they phone me back and the noise isnt there  .Its extremely frustrating that this fault cant be found.I read online that somebody else had an identical fault as  mine and they were Plusnet customers somebody suggested it might be my router but I think that is unlikely although I will try anything to resolve this problem.

Sparkrace22
Rising Star

Cannot see that Your Router would be the cause of your phone line problems.

But if your phone line crackles then your broadband speed will be slower

My phone has worked perfectly since being with PLusnet 5years plus, BUT beginning of October, my phone simply would not work, except a deafening crackle, 5 days later it was fixed somewhere.

BUT since then it has this intermittent crackle.( My Fibre Extra has suffered too) I tested in on BT circuit number too, ie quiet line and seems ok, but sometimes somebody will ring and it crackles terribly.

Reported on line, & Plusnet have tested it a few times & said all seems ok but there could be a fault So, it will cost me £65 if the engineer finds nothing at our premises, or £65 if the Master socket or internal wiring faulty. ( I don't have any internal wiring the cables are straight to phone & router)

As the BT engineer replaced the socket last year with a Mk4 (seperate phone & Broadband socket) along with some other connections outside, I know I would have to pay £65 for nothing, so have decided just to forget it as I dont see why I have to pay for something thats not my fault. Obviously I just tell my callers i will ring back.

My fibre extra speed has increased now to the minimum guaranteed speed of 27Mbps Must admit I am far from satisfied.

Good Luck

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

@Sparkrace22 As far as I’m aware the £65 charge if no fault is found is if not fault is found in general either inside or outside your property. As you are experiencing a fault I doubt that’d apply. 

Sparkrace22
Rising Star

Part of the online message

IF an engineer Finds Problem with Internal wiring, My equipment, Condition of Open Reach equipment within the Property Or Boundary

OR IF No Fault Found then will be charged £65!

As I said Plusnet run few tests and nothing showing up on their tests, even though Open Reach test sheet showed a fault, really odd, but then intermittent, so its not showing during their tests, so potentially I could be charged £65

ITS quite strange really as when my phone went down so did a couple of my neighbours, we all on PlusNet ( my recommendations!)  we all suffering crackling 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Sparkrace22,

I'm sorry for any concern that the potential £65 charge has caused you. Due to the intermittent nature of this fault, we wouldn't charge you if the engineer was unable to find the fault during their visit.

From what you've said, it's likely that the fault is external to your property but, with it not being picked up by our tests, we'd need to arrange an engineer visit so that this may be investigated further. If you've not done so already, I'd recommend that you run through our troubleshooting guide here to rule out any internal wiring/equipment problems.

If the problem persists following the troubleshooting, please add your availability for an engineer to the ticket here. Appointment slots are 8am - 1pm or 1pm - 6pm Monday - Friday. If you add another comment to this thread once you've done that, we'll pick this back up and get the appointment booked in for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
brendajorsler
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

My phone has been crackling for months.  Had numerous engineers who seem to find nothing wrong.  The crackling is not all the time, but my fibre speed has halved.  Was told that going on to fibre should stop the problem (it didn't) Was told a new router would solve the problem (It didn't) Bought new phones and replaces any indoor connection and filters.  Still the phone line crackles and speed is half what I was first getting a month or so ago when I went on to fibre,  My connection was registering  .29  mbps which was slower than my old dial up !!  I was getting better phone line service 60 years ago when I had a party line.  I really am not happy at all with all this.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @brendajorsler, thanks for reaching out to us here. 

I'm sorry to read about your experience with us and I apologise for the frustration it's caused you. I've checked over your account and provided a more thorough response here. 

Thanks.