cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex Directory-Number withheld

dp2010
Grafter

Ex Directory-Number withheld

A majority of ex-directory customers withhold their number to maintain their privacy, or the caller may simply not wish to receive a return call.
You might think that asking to go ex directory your number will automatically be with held.
Not so.
In a reply following a recent enquiry to Plusnet it was learned that:-
Number withheld and ex-directory are two different things. If you are ex-directory your number will still show when you make outbound calls. If you have the number withheld feature on your account your number will not be shown.
So beware those that are ex directory and have not requested your number to be with held permanently your number will show up.
Beware also as BT 1471 tells you the last number that called - unless the caller withheld their number by dialling 141 before dialling your number or has it with held permanently.
24 REPLIES 24
peter10
Grafter

Re: Ex Directory-Number withheld

I wonder if the majority of ex-directory customers do withhold their number as well. I'm ex-directory to stop anyone being able to look up my number or address. However I want my number to be displayed as a lot of my friends don't always answer number withheld calls thinking that they may be marketing.
dp2010
Grafter

Peter10 has a valued point.
Its about choice and knowing what you can and can not have or being advised of such a choice, not something that always happens.
Each must decide and then request preferably when you order your home phone.
If you have chosen to have your number permanently withheld, you can use 1470 to enable your number to be released on a call-by-call basis. Simply dial '1470' before making a call.
If you are not withholding your number permanently, you can use 141 to withhold your number on a call-by-call basis. Simply dial '141' before making a call.

BRABUS
Grafter

I asked that we are listed as ex directory and that our number is with held when I joined Plus Net, I was even assured on the phone by their custoemr complaints manager that this would be the case.  We have just found out today that our number is not being with held.  I am on the phone now trying to get to the bottom of it.
I am now so worried about the safety of my wife (long legal story - I wont bore you) that I am awaiting talking to someone senior in Plus Net to sort this out.  The last time this happened we had to change phone number and move Sad
BRABUS
Grafter

Typical, a soon as I press the buttonm to post the senior person in Plus Net ahs just called, he is investigating and promised to call me back.
dp2010
Grafter

BRABUS
May i sugsest you also check the internet. BT, 118, and 192 Sites to make sure you are not lkisted.
As posted Ex diectory and number with held are seperate. PN do not tell you about this at the time of order.
Please post what complaints manager says.
BRABUS
Grafter

The complaints manager assured me that it would be witheld as a matter of urgency (within 24 hours).
I am just sat on the phone 28 hours later trying to find out why my number is still not withheld  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
James
Grafter

Hi,
Looking at the order, it appears to have completed this morning.
Let me know how you get on with the call.  As far as I'm concerned calls from your phone should be withheld (with a 1470 override).
BRABUS
Grafter

Hi James I have just sent you a PM, I m sorry if it appears short but I am seriously getting concerned about this and about the staff I have been dealing with.
You have my number so if you can call me it would be appreciated.
BRABUS
Grafter

Well thats kind of spooky......as soon as James gets involved the numbers are suddenly with held  Huh  Huh  Huh

Do Plus Net need to do some staff training?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
As I mentioned on the call I don't think this is a training issue, but I'm glad that things are now working!
The order was placed yesterday, as was showing as complete so I am uncertain as to why it took a bit longer to start working!
James
Grafter

Quote from: dp2010
As posted Ex diectory and number with held are seperate. PN do not tell you about this at the time of order.

Hi DP2010,
I'm not sure why we would tell you that withholding your number, and not placing your number in a telephone directory are two separate things unless you asked us.
Most people who want to be ex-directory have no interest in getting their number withheld.
BRABUS
Grafter

James I think where the training issue comes in that one agent tells me it is 24 hours to take effect and another one tells me it happens the same day.  Some one is right and someone is wrong.  Alternatively both are right and both are wrong and BT Openreach systems are a law unto themselves and you are obviously reliant upon them  Undecided
James
Grafter

It's a one working day order.
If you let me who told you otherwise I can happily pick it up with their manager.
BRABUS
Grafter

James I can not remember the name of the individual but I am sure it could be picked up by listening to your call tapes but there have been a lot of calls about this.  This is probably OTT and maybe a simple reminder to all staff would be a simpler option and without making an individual feel singled out as lets be hionest we all make mistakes from time to time Smiley  At least its not like the last one I made at work that cost over £5 million  Shocked