cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Ring Tone

outtopasture
Dabbler

Continuous Ring Tone

Hello, I'm new to Plusnet for about two weeks now.  When the land-line rings, it rings with a continuous tone, not the traditional "Brrring...Brrrring" I had before.  Is this normal?  It's strangely irritating.  (I've tried other ringtones built in to my Panasonic handset and they all suffer from the same issue.)

11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Continuous Ring Tone

That sounds very odd, I've just tested your line for a few different symptoms and it's advising that the fault may be with your equipment. I don't suppose you have, or can borrow, a different handset to test this on?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
outtopasture
Dabbler

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.  I don't have a different handset and actually it would be difficult to borrow one. 

In any case, I find it hard to believe it's my equipment, as it was working normally with my previous provider (Talk Talk) and developed this new strange behaviour only immediately after the line switched to Plusnet.  I tried phoning the Help service but I'm not prepared to wait 15 minutes plus (is that why you're called 'Plus-net'?) in a phone queue.

The phone still works normally in other respects: dial tone, connection, speech clarity etc.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You can pick up a cheap phone from Argos or other high street shop for around £5 - might be worth it rather than the possibility of a £65 charge if it is your phone. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've created a ticket on your account with a couple other checks you could try.

If you would like us to arrange an engineer to investigate further, just reply to this ticket

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
outtopasture
Dabbler

@Mustrum

Thank you.  A helpful thought.  I'm still loath to spend even a fiver, when I don't really believe it's a fault in my equipment.  I'll think about it.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

£5 for a corded phone is a sensible investment! When we had power cuts, not recently I'll admit, the corded phone was the only one that worked. Mobiles will also stop working if the receiver is in the power cut zone. It was invaluable being able to report the fault to the distribution center!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
outtopasture
Dabbler

@PeterLoftus

You're right, of course.  Just feeling mean this morning...

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Sounds like phone wiring fault in your dwelling; move to PN would be irrelevant as they use same BT/Openreach infrastructure. New phone cheaper than OR Engineer visit if they determine fault is in your wiring not theirs.
outtopasture
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Thank you for raising the ticket on this.  Question #152711375 - which has now been closed automatically, since I was away.

Anyway, the problem persists and I have now tried the line with a different, new handset, with exactly the same result: a continuous ringing, not the usual brrinng...brrinng.  I did plug the handset into the master socket (behind the faceplate).  So I don't believe the problem - which you did find when you tested the line -  is to do with my equipment, I'm afraid. 

I'd be grateful if you could reinstate the investigations.

One other point: sometimes, but not always, voice phone calls on the line seem to interrupt the broadband connection.  Before you ask, I have tried different microfilters but again the problem appears unrelated to that.

outtopasture
Dabbler

@Gel

Thank you but I don't think that's right.  I've tried with another handset and it's the same.  Also too much of a coincidence that it started happening exactly when I switched to Plusnet.  Although the infrastructure is the same, they must change something when one changes provider.

I've re-raised the issue, after having been away.  Thanks a gain anyway.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've opened a new support ticket for you here for you to respond to with the information to progress the fault.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.