cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for calls of more than one hour

itsme
Grafter

Re: Charges for calls of more than one hour

O dear someone that don't understand VoIP.
I only use VoIP to make landline calls during the week as they are free unlike using the landline phone which I have to pay for. Also I use a standard Dect base station with 3 handsets to make VoIP calls.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

@Ellis I've moved entire companies to VOIP technology, it is actually relatively simple to achieve. Once the infrastructure is in place it makes capacity upgrades and downgrades an easy and fast task. It also makes Business Recovery and awful lot easier. My colleagues on the telecoms side of things rarely install old style TDM nowadays except on legacy sites. Adding an extra 150 channels and modifying the call plans for a company phone exchange takes less than an hour using one engineer after the PTT standard order times have elapsed. I was at one point responsible for the ICT infrastructure of a company that had 9000 channels/voice lines coming into our building, believe me when I say VOIP makes it a lot easier.
You can have a PABX with supports both ISDN and VOIP. ISDN is often delivered over IP networks nowadays. On the VOIP Service it is easily possible to link branch office PABX offices across the globe into one or more Head Office PABXs using VOIP technology using high capacity data circuits. Within buildings we rarely install phone extension lines to desks it is all done over Cat5/6 UTP network cables using VOIP phones.
Here's your BT VOIP Service. Their 21CN programme is all about switching their voice and data networks to IP.
On the 911 or 999 calls it is perfectly possible to trace the caller. I have that service on Vonage, There is the facility to notify a new address if you move the locatioon of your phone router.

[sorry Mods: drifted off the topic a bit, but needed an answer to reflect current possibilities in business]
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

AlaricAdair
defiantly off topic  Smiley
I think in the context of this thread the difference between VOIP and land line is that having paid for the line rental and in my case the PN Anytime option which do you choose for which job. I use landline for my business calls in the UK and Skype for talking to family in Thailand. I expect to be going to Saudi Arabia soon and expect to be using skype to speak to Swmbo while out there  Roll_eyes Cool Smiley
Swmbo thinks PN Anytime is great  Smiley Roll_eyes
None will approach an hour per call  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair

On the 911 or 999 calls it is perfectly possible to trace the caller. I have that service on Vonage, There is the facility to notify a new address if you move the locatioon of your phone router.

[sorry Mods: drifted off the topic a bit, but needed an answer to reflect current possibilities in business]

It seems that there is a problem of traceability with VoIP, to quote:-
Emergency 911 calls also become a challenge with VoIP. As stated before, VoIP uses IP-addressed phone numbers, not NANP phone numbers. There's no way to associate a geographic location with an IP address. So if the caller can't tell the 911 operator where he is located, then there's no way to know which call center to route the emergency call to and which EMS should respond. To fix this, perhaps geographical information could somehow be integrated into the packets.

911 calls = 999 calls.