cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call barring not working

sandersons1
Hooked

Call barring not working

Has anyone else had problems adding call barring?

I added it in control panel a few weeks ago, and was able to bar outgoing international calls.

However, when I tried to block outgoing premium rate calls with *347# - I receive message "The number you have dialled has not been recognised".
All other codes worked; eg. *343# to block outgoing International calls etc.

So, I raised it with Plusnet who suggested turning call barring off and on, which I had already done, but did it again to make sure, but it still wouldn't work.

Plusnet then said they would manually block outgoing premium rate calls - not ideal but better than nothing.

However, although call barring is turned on using my control panel, I now get the message  "Sorry, the service requested is not available from this line" after dialling *34 so cannot control International calls either.

I have yet again turned it off, then back on, but it makes no difference.

I complained to Plusnet who replied to say because they have added the premium rate call barring, I could not use call barring for international calls, but they would put a credit limit so outgoing calls would be prevented, but only when the credit limit is reached.

Not acceptable, in my opinion.

Surely I can't be the only person having this problem, am I?

6 REPLIES 6
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Call barring not working

Hi @sandersons1,

I'm sorry for the problems that you're having with barring outbound calls and for the number of times that you have had to contact us to try and get this resolved. From looking through the ticket, it appears that some of the advisors have misunderstood your query and think that you are having problems with barring inbound calls. I will pass on feedback about this as you have clearly explained several times that the problem is with blocking your outbound calls.

I can see that the call barring feature has been added back to your account on our side but our supplier's system is showing that they have no outbound call barring in place on your line at the moment. As this is the case, I have placed a manual order to add admin-controlled call barring, which should allow you to choose to block outgoing calls to international and premium numbers by dialling * 'the relevant code' followed by #. This order will complete within 24 hours. Please get back in touch if this feature is still not working after the 24 hours and I will investigate this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
sandersons1
Hooked

Not working, we're now back to the original problem of not being able to bar outgoing premium rate calls although I can once again bar outgoing International calls.

See my ticket for more details.

sandersons1
Hooked

As I have had no response on here or on my ticket, I have once again turned Plusnet Protect and Call Barring off, then on again, but the fault is still there.

If anyone else is using call barring, I wonder if you could try to bar outgoing premium rate calls, please, to let me know if this is a network wide fault, or just on my line, please?

To bar outgoing premium rate calls, dial *347#

To take the barring off, dial #347*PIN#

All other barring works - but just get "The number you have dialled has not been recognised" on *347#.

Thanks.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @sandersons1,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for turning Call Barring off and then back on, I'm very sorry to hear that it is still not allowing you to bar calls to premium rate numbers.

As this is the case, I have raised this to our suppliers to investigate the feature fault. Their estimated response time is by the 27th of December, though we may receive an update sooner than this. I will monitor this from here and will contact you once we receive an update from our suppliers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
GJenkinsUK

Hi EmilyD

Can you clarify something about the availability of call barring?  Essentially, is it available to new Plusnet customers, as I want to move to Plusnet when my contract with my current supplier ends on 1st May but can only do so if I know I can get call barring.

As you have picked up there is some confusion about blocking incoming calls and barring outgoing calls - my interest is in barring OUTGOING calls.

I have 3 properties.  2 get their landlines through Plusnet.  One of these has call barring set for all outgoing calls other than emergency ones, the other has the facility to bar outgoing calls available but I have not activated it.

I want to move the third property onto Plusnet.  It is vital that call barring for outgoing calls (other than emergency or other free numbers) is applied - I have it with my current landline provider.

Clearly, from my own experience, call barring has been available with Plusnet until recently.  However, in two on-line chats with support I have been told (1) call barring on outgoing calls is not provided by Plusnet and (2) it was provided in the past but is no longer available.

I can't find anything on the Plusnet website to explain whether call barring is still available and, if not, when the facility was withdrawn.

Bearing in mind the coronavirus situation I don't really want to ring customer services, so do you know where I can find a definitive answer as to whether or not call barring will be available to new customers?

Many thanks

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@sandersons1 wrote:

Has anyone else had problems adding call barring?

Snip

Surely I can't be the only person having this problem, am I?

You are not alone. See https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Call-Barring/m-p/1722042#M30832

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)