cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit confused about VoiP

hendrikhaye

Bit confused about VoiP

So, Plusnet are not doing Voip. I have a router already capable of operating Voip. So, is it possible to retain my Broadband bit of the Plusnet contract and port the telephone number to a Voip provider? Like Numberpeople or other.

5 REPLIES 5
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 22

Re: Bit confused about VoiP

Basically Yes you can.  I've not looked at the NumberPeople personally, but you should be able to port it to a decent VOIP provider.

What you would need to do is change your broadband to either a SOGEA or FTTP product.  That will cease your number.  You then have 30 days to port that number.  If you get everything prepared you would only have a few days to a week of downtime on the number.

One thing to be careful of is your router.  There is a difference between the router having a connection for a phone and being able to use just any VOIP provider with it.  For example, Plusnets Hub2 has a phone socket, but the router firmware doesn't have any means to configure it.  The BT version of it, also has the phone socket but that can only be used with BT Digital Voice.  There are other routers around that support VOIP though.

If your router doesn't support your chosen VOIP (such as above were it may be a ISPs router tied to a specific service), then you can easily pick up an ATA which just goes between your router and phone, and that is where you configure your VOIP.

I've used quite a few different VOIP providers over the years.  Current ones are Sipgate (has a monthly fee now, but I'm still on a legacy free account), LocalPhone (I used to have a US number on that one), and A&A (which I've just set my parents up on).  A&A come highly recommended by a number of people on here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@hendrikhaye 

You should speak to the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632

They will tell you your options with PN (SOGEA or Full Fibre) and advise if any early termination charges apply to the phone line if done before the end of your contract.

Whatever you do, don't port your number until PN change your contract as this would cause the closure of your account (it's currently "controlled" by the phone number).

Brian

hendrikhaye

Thanks for replying. Will do as suggested. Unfortunately I am someone who jumps before he knows how deep the well actually is. In the past that has resulted in unnecessary costs. So, thanks for your help.

H.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 22

There's lots of info already around here on VOIP and various providers, and some of us are quite knowledgeable on them too!  Feel free to ask any questions you might have and we'll do our best to answer them.  Supplier recommendations can often vary depending on what you want your usage will be like, but are often significantly cheaper than traditional line line offerings if you get it right.  Equally there is a great range of hardware and software depending on your budget and what you want from it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@hendrikhaye 

I personally have a long history of if there's a right way or wrong way of doing things I choose the latter. Anyway, to follow up on @pjmarsh  with regard to VOIP there are several things to consider.

First is - do you actually need a phone? Is your mobile signal good enough to replace the landline? Tied to this question is do you have any house or care alarms connncted to the phone?

VOIP doesn't work during power cuts without back up power. In this respect FTTP is better than FTTC as the latter depends on a battey backup which might last as little as 30 minutes (from previous posts on the Forum).

Depending on your router your phone may or may not work with it. If not you may need to spend some money on equipment.

Some VOIP providers cannot (or have been unable to do so in the past) port a number from a "ceased" line (which is what your number will be).

If you have a good mobile signal to use for outgoing calls A&A are good value (£15 for the port and £1.44pm after) plus they can handle ceased lines. Your choice will depend on your phone usage.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/ 

Brian