cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another VOIP question

briank
Grafter

Another VOIP question

I am unsure which forum I should use to post this question.

Similar questions about VOIP are already scattered among several other Plusnet Community forms.

I ditched my copper landline when I swiched to Plusnet FTTP. Since then I have been using Vonage and a DECT phone for voice calls.

Now that Openreach have announced that the analogue POTS system will cease in 2025, will Plusnet be offering VOIP as part of their fibre broadband packages?

If so, will existing customers like me be offered a VOIP adapter or replacement router/fibre modem that incorporates a standard phone socket? I assume Plusnet VOIP would involve an additional charge. Any idea how much it will cost?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Another VOIP question

@briank 

Like me, I assume you're on the PlusNet FTTP Trial so got away with cancelling your phone service. If PN continue as they have in the past they'll leave those on the Trial as "Legacy" users and do nothing about them unless or untill they want to upgrade. So you may be lucky in nothing changes with your current VOIP.

You'll not hear anything about PN VOIP until they're ready to talk.

Brian

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@briank wrote:

Now that Openreach have announced that the analogue POTS system will cease in 2025, will Plusnet be offering VOIP as part of their fibre broadband packages?

We've nothing to announce on that currently I'm afraid, as soon as we know I'll post something in the announcements boards, but as of yet, I've not heard anything.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Jorvik
Grafter

@briank wrote:

[...]

[...]

No Plusnet reps will be able to say anything about the that until it is officially announced by the company, however an educated guess is that Plusnet will likely offer a proprietary 'Digital Voice' type VoIP service - akin to that now offered by BT - using the Plusnet Hub Two (which is itself a rebadged BT SmartHub 2), which supports VoIP services.

I imagine any announcement on this issue is tied up with Plusnet's upcoming launch of a (non-trial) FTTP service later this year, which I think is itself dependent on Plusnet moving over from an ageing legacy platform to a whole new platform to support all its services.