cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0042 Numbers getting through with call protect

ep1987

0042 Numbers getting through with call protect

It's my understanding that these are international numbers.

I have turned call divert on for international, withheld and unrecognised.

However numbers beginning 0042 are getting through (different ones each time so no point in using the block last call) at a rate of about one a day.

Is the plusnet recommended list being on overriding my preferences or is the issue something else?

I have recently switched from BT and i received almost no nuisance calls at all in 5+ years while with them using their call protect.

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: 0042 Numbers getting through with call protect

Country code +42, dialed as 00 42 from many places, is an incomplete code in Europe. +420 is the Czech Republic, +421 is Slovakia, and +423 is Liechtenstein. Other +42X codes may be assigned in the future.

So if the number being presented starts with other than 00420, 00421 or 00423 then I suspect its not being recognised as a valid international number by the Call Protect system. You would perhaps have thought that Call protect would handle these as 'unrecognised'. but I'm afraid not, its definition of unrecognised is 'unavailable' i.e no caller ID

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ep1987

The last two were 00424 and 00428 so it appears that they aren't being picked up as international.

Is there any hope of plusnet fixing this?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Plusnets Call protect system is basically the BT system, except that it doesn't have the Web interface. The basic functionality is provided directly by BT so I guess there's little chance of it being fixed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ep1987

I was with BT for 5+ years and never got these calls. Switched to plusnet a couple of weeks ago and the problem started.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I have an old standalone Audioline CLI display, and occasionally get a (presumably spoofed) UK mobile number displayed, but it also says "International".

Conversely, I've sometimes seen a number starting '00' but without the "International" bit.

I would conclude from this that if an apparently 'international' number is spoofed from within the UK then the Call Protect system would not recognise it as being international.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)