cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XBOX 360 and Thomson TG585 on plusnet

gooner77
Grafter

Re: XBOX 360 and Thomson TG585 on plusnet

1) I didn't ask for the new router the customer service guy just resent me one to check my issues weren't router related (which they were). Also what other choice do i have . I don't know the first thing about which router to buy myself. That is something I shouldn't really have to do.  The D Link router I used to have worked fine and since Plusnet have started using thomson gateways they keep breaking down after 6 months

2)  It certainly feels like I'm being ignored, 50 minute wait for someone to answer on the Plusnet customer support line and even then the person doesn't have a clue what they're on about and tries to palm me off and blame microsoft/xbox live. The DLink routers worked, the TG585 version 7 worked but the version 8 doesn't. Why hasn't Plusnet resolved this issue by now ?
3) Where can I get my MAC from ? on the router itself. Don't want to have to spend another hour on hold
UPDATE
I upgraded the router firmware to 8.2.7.8 and I'm still having the same issue
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: gooner77
1) I didn't ask for the new router the customer service guy just resent me one to check my issues weren't router related (which they were). Also what other choice do i have . I don't know the first thing about which router to buy myself. That is something I shouldn't really have to do.  The D Link router I used to have worked fine and since Plusnet have started using thomson gateways they keep breaking down after 6 months

So I assume that the v7 worked then (perhaps after some fiddling) and the v8 doesn't? Any ADSL2+ compatible modem router would do the trick. You can pick them up for peanuts on eBay.
2)  It certainly feels like I'm being ignored, 50 minute wait for someone to answer on the Plusnet customer support line and even then the person doesn't have a clue what they're on about and tries to palm me off and blame microsoft/xbox live. The DLink routers worked, the TG585 version 7 worked but the version 8 doesn't. Why hasn't Plusnet resolved this issue by now ?

50 minutes!?! I'm sure that's in excess of the longest wait time we've had for a while. Can you remember what day this was on? It's a shame the firmware upgrade hasn't resolved you issue because if id had, we're already in the process of making sure our routers go out with this latest firmware installed.
3) Where can I get my MAC from ? on the router itself. Don't want to have to spend another hour on hold

You can find the answer to that question here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gooner77
Grafter

re question 2 It was on a Wednesday or Thursday evening. Late Jan. It seems to be at least a 25 minute each time before the call is picked up and then its pot luck if you get someone who knows what their talking about
Anyway I followed fpsepulvedas (thank you  Wink ) advice and changed the interface type from 802.111 b/g/n to 802.111 b/g and that seems to have fixed it. So I'll stay with Plusnet....for now Angry
Why  couldn't someone from customer support have suggested this  Roll_eyes
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Why  couldn't someone from customer support have suggested this  Roll_eyes

It's not a commonly documented fix if I'm honest. I had assumed from your comments below that you'd already tried this trick so sorry for not suggesting it again myself?
My Thomson Gateway v7 just packed in and I've had to use a new v8 router that Plusnet sent me. And guess what...I can't connect to XBOX Live again despite trying all the fixes/suggestions on the various threads.

Anyway, glad to hear it's sorted now Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The 'n' on the TG585 v8 is the lowest possible implementation of WiFi 'n', it only gives a marginal increase of throughput compared to 'g' (from memory - so I could be wrong - it increases the 'connection speed' from 54 to 65), swithcing it off seems to solve a lot of problems (I reported this a long time ago in the TG585 v8 wireless problems thread).
Thomson don't exactly promote this router as a WiFi 'n' device and this 'feature' is hardly worth having IMO.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
joescot

any update on this i still cant get this working even with port forwarding 
(used these ports http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911728)
upgraded firmware and still no luck

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@joescot  did you try explicitly setting the wireless mode to b/g as well?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

joescot

no i havent but im trying to run it over a cable not the wireless