cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random ping spikes in League of Legends

KhromeHound
Grafter

Re: Random ping spikes in League of Legends

Alrightie then. I'm still getting the original ping spikes in games, but its more manageable as I haven't really been doing much PVP recently.

Side note - Had to reset Router @ 2:00 Pm today, because my download speed hit like 5KB/s to 500 Bytes/s which is, just plain awful. And it stopped me using pretty much everything, so reset was needed. ( I believe, upon further checks, this was my LoL client, because I noticed steam download fell to almost nothing when I tried logging in again later, never seen this before though, could be wrong, but unlikely :L )
Additional notes
A) Turning on/off the TV, and subsequently, the Sky box, kills my connection for about 3 minutes, as long as the hub is even in the same room.
&
B) For some reason, @ 6:30 (16/5/14) my download speed jumped and remained constant @ 300 Kb/s. This might just be the time of course, but still, nice improvement.
KhromeHound
Grafter

Still waiting for some kind of reply here.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Is your Sky Box and filtered correctly?
I've attached some details regarding your connection. The 'Retrains' are when your line can no longer remain stable due to errors and has to drop out and reconnect.
The lower the number on your 'Mean Time Between Errors' the more frequently your line is erroring. Under the 'Sync' section, you can see how often that your sync rate is changing/fluctuating.
If you've got everything filtered up correctly (every telephone socket that's got something connected into it should have a microfilter connected) then please raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net as this needs looking at by our Faults Team.
KhromeHound
Grafter

Our Sky box doesn't need to be filtered as its never and is still NOT connected to the internet, it never has been.
Besides that, the only things that we have into the phone-line anyway are the phone, which is filtered & the hub, which is also filtered.
So, is the only thing let raising a fault? And if so, I don't think we can afford to pay an engineer if the problem is here anyway to be honest, kinda hard up for money at the moment, if that is what raising a fault could achieve.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I think the best course of action would be to raise a fault for our Faults Team to take a look over things.
There may be an external fault, it's quite difficult to tell but  we'd discuss your options to that regard before arranging an engineers visit.
KhromeHound
Grafter

Alright then. I'll do that ASAP.
KhromeHound
Grafter

Reported a Fault. So far I haven't been contacted by email or phone, its been 4/5 days now, ping spikes SEEM to have gone over the last day, but my download speed is now only reaching 100 Kb/s at the best of times 😕
KhromeHound
Grafter

And after losing my laptop and getting a replacement Computer, I'm now getting approximately 230/260 KB/s Download speed. (According to steam anyway, improvement seems accurate).
Which has been put to significant use re-downloading everything. Thank god for unlimited broadband deals. Out of curiosity, is there anything that can be done to improve upload speed, or is that pretty much locked as is? Was looking into maybe trying to stream at some point but I doubt the connections where I live can sustainable stream well xD
So, turns out the low DL speed was a bad laptop WIFI card. New computer came with a shiny little antenna that does significantly better.(as stated)
Ontop of the other question, where I live, would I gain anything by using a More powerful/expensive router or would they be somewhat pointless because of the already still kind of restricted speeds of living rurally?
Mathias
Grafter

Probably your best and cheapest improvement you could make is to switch from wireless to a wired connection for gaming. This should improve your latency.
I can appreciate that this is not always possible, but homeplugs give you an alternative to long wires...
Additionally if you are a frequent gamer i would consider replacing the default PN router as its pretty much garbage for anything but standard internet use.
KhromeHound
Grafter

Latency is fine as is now. No issues with that. I'm mostly interested in attempting to improve speeds at this stage, gotta go for Optimal.
Any recommended routers? + What kind of improvements would a new router make anyway?
JTaylor
Grafter

Hey KhromeHound
Just looking over the account it seems that we resolved a fault and now your connection is stable! Great news!
At this point, a different router doesn't really seem necessary (unless you've picked on up already  :P)
If you were wanting a stronger wireless signal then a dual band router would be the way to go i would say but connection-wise all looks good!
KhromeHound
Grafter

Yeah, the new computer came with a better receiver by far so connection speed has spiked up from that too. - Over the last three days or so however my LoL has been screwing up again. Connection will randomly drop anywhere between 10 seconds to 2 minutes around 7 times(as in, LoLs at this stage rather familiar RECONNECTING sign)  or so a game. - Ping spikes from my average 47 all the way up to 500-2635(Highest I've seen < xD)
Oddly enough I remain connected to the internet, and will if in a Skype call stay connected, but during these spikes checking the Connection strength via windows shows 2-3 bars, instead of the usual 5 bars that I've been getting for a while now. (These drops seem to also pop up during phone calls, but considering the last game I played had this issue, which is at about 2:20 Am - 2:50 AM, I can say with certainty no-one was using a phone. - Also going to state that during that spike, I was literally only running a Windows media player for music and a league game. no background programs were left up and I've checked and it isn't something updating, grabbing too much broadband. At a loss for the cause here.