cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quake Live Problems?

Community Veteran

Quake Live Problems?

I have been enjoying the delights of Quake Live ( www.quakelive.com ) but have been frustrated by the messages I get every minute or so saying my connection dropped for a second, often causing death as some other player takes a post shot at my stationary player.
I never totally lose the connection... just my life ;-)
I have checked that no-one else is hogging my bandwidth and that my email is turned off. I am not aware of any other software that would kick in to cause the stutter. I am on option 2 and seem to have the problem whenever I have played (so far evenings and weekends).
Any Suggestions as to why it might be happening or how to solve it? Generally I have a great connection and can download files at over 800k a second, so I am mystified as to why I am getting problems with 5 k a second.
15 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Quake Live Problems?

are you using a wireless connection? if so i'd recomend getting hard wired as wireless is poor for gaming.
if it's a stnad alone game you could try running a wireshark capture to make sure that it's getting prioritised correctly.
Will Moderate For Thanks
oplesrope
Grafter

i've played this successfully (over a wireless connection i might add), not had an problems yet  although i did have a few teething problems whilst it made me play through the test match thingy a few times...  not much more to add - think i'm on option 2, and it was around 7-8pm at the weekend?  quake 3 arena was the first ever game i played online, still a lot of fun actually - i remember the sounds and level designs a lot more than i thought i would.
Community Veteran

I am wireless but it is fast and solid. I havent had a problem with other game such as COH. Just seems t be Quake Live that stutters for a second or so then recovers.
Community Veteran

I sat and timed the connection problem this evening, it happens EXACTLY once every minute on the button. That doesn't seem like a connection problem, something else is going on.
I have tried shutting down my AV program, Winpatrol and other programs I have installed that make it their business to scan periodically, I have also closed Outlook but the glitch still remains. Any more ideas as to what might cause an issue once a minute?
scootie
Grafter

try disabling wireless zero config(windows auto scans for routers and causes a ping spike)
for vista try using this app its what i use. http://www.martin-majowski.de/wlanoptimizer/
and for xp follow this http://www.ifelix.net/tech/2007.html
it might not be the problem if other games run o.k but its worth a try as it scans every 30seconds or 60 seconds Undecided
Community Veteran

Yeehah!
That looks like it Asbo. I just had a quick 5 minute test without a single glitch. Thanks very much!
Cheers
Peter
scootie
Grafter

nice Smiley
which windows are you running?.
i use the app for vista as it makes it easy to enable WZC when i need it
Community Veteran

I am running Vista SP1.
I have to say despite all the nay sayers I have found Vista virtually trouble free and in my view far better than XP now or at the same relative point in it's life cycle.
Cheers Again!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Glad you found the fix, it's a very good game considering it runs in a browser window!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

It is and free! I must admit I run it full screen  Roll eyes
Oxigin
Grafter

Hi God,
Ive just signed up for PlusNet and I play QL alot, What kind of pings do you get ?
Im moving from Sky due to there massive ping (along with other things!)
Thanks
Community Veteran

Hi Oxigin
I cant check at the moment as I am in the middle of a rebuild of my main machine but I will definately post back when it is up and running again. Off the top of my head I think it was about 50 or 60.
But I will confirm if that is just a guess soon!
Cheers
Peter
Oxigin
Grafter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the update,
Have you ever checked the ping with a wired connection ? Also could you please advise which plusnet package your on ?
If your interested in joining a UK based QL community check out http://www.qliveuk.net/ good bunch !
Good luck with the rebuild !  Smiley
Oh also are you on interleave or fash path ?
Thanks
Community Veteran

Hi again
I tried a quick session yesterday and this morning the results were mid thirties and mid sixties. I have never tried a wired connection as my PC is in a different room to the router. My package is BBYW Option 2. As far as I am aware my connection is NOT interleaved.
Cheers
Peter