Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Routers and Port Forwarding

srangeley
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Routers and Port Forwarding

Thanks again but I'm not working tonight! 😄

So my parents will see a charge and a credit on their next bill will they?

Steven
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems.
Yeah when I’m in tomorrow I’ll process a £5 refund to offset the charge, so they’ll essentially see the £5 go out then back in again. Or the other way around, depending on when their bill date is.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
srangeley
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

That's great, thanks. Thanks again for your time and patience in getting to the bottom of this!

Have a great weekend

Steven

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems Steven, you too!

Discussing this with @Kelly just now it looks like this issue is with the Co-Op VPN software itself.

It may be worth raising this to them for further investigation.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sharpener
Hooked

Same situation as @nigeldodd's post. I have a 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet with various devices including solar inverter. My problem is same as his, devices which I know are attached disappear from dropdown device list even though they are using a router-defined IP address. Also port forwarding that I have set up successfully fails to work after a router reboot even though the IP addresses are the same and they still appear correctly in the table.

Will the firmware update referred to downthread by @bobpullen fix this?

Any other suggestions anyone?

TIA

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@sharpener proof is in the pudding. I've pushed a more recent firmware image to your device.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

sharpener
Hooked

Thanks for trying that @bobpullen, I see the fw version is now 7.275.14.

Currently I have port forwarding set up on 3 devices with IP addresses assigned by the router:

1. A Panasonic camera linked directly by wireless which was viewable on the appropriate port at my external (WAN) IP address when port forwarding was first enabled, but is not any more. It is however viewable on the LAN. It does not appear in the drop-down boxes in either the Home page or the Port Forwarding page as per @nigeldodd 's experience and because it is not there I cannot re-install it.

2. A second camera connected wirelessly to a TP-Link Access Point (with fixed IP address) and then by cable to the router. This too worked in the past internally and externally, but is not now viewable at all and does not appear in the lists.

3. A hard-wired heating controller, of the three this is the only one which appears in the lists and works OK internally and externally.

So unfortunately the new firmware has not made a lot of difference. Is there anything else I can try before splashing out on a new router?

TIA

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@sharpener wrote:

So unfortunately the new firmware has not made a lot of difference. Is there anything else I can try before splashing out on a new router?

Yep, you can give this a shot.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

sharpener
Hooked

If I follow the process described by @Liquidream I can indeed install the devices with port forwarding (they have to be turned on when the router is already running to appear in the list). But this solution does not survive the router being turned off and on again so is of no practical value, as @mtcerio and @WatchBatterycou have found out.

I find it incredible that Plusnet have not used their substantial purchasing power to get their supplier Sagem to come up with a properly engineered solution, given that port forwarding is hardly a new or exotic concept. Alternatively it would IMHO be better to blank the facility out completely rather than waste days of people's lives trying unsuccessfully to get it to work.

Does Plusnet offer an upgrade path to a router which has proper working port forwarding, or am I completely on my own now?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Upgrading to any Fibre product would result in a more capable router being shipped.

In the mean time, I'll check to see whether or not this particular bug has been acknowledged/logged by the supplier.

Edit: There's also another suggestion here.

Edit again: And another here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Paul_T
Hooked

Hi,

I'm just trying a simple bit of port forwarding for a GTA V co-op mod on the PC, but I am struggling to get it to work.

Under 'Manage games and applications' I've tried port 4499 as 'Any' as well as individual TCP and UDP entries and also a short range of ports (see pic); I've also tried port 21 (FTP) and also tried 'Half-Life', 'HTTP Server (World Wide Web)' and 'FTP Server' setups from the set list of configs (see pic) but whatever I try I do not seem to be able to use this site Open Ports to detect any of the ports are opening up.

I've had success in the distant past when I had my own Linksys and Netgear routers (when I was on Virgin fibre) but this is eluding me - any thoughts please?

FYI I'm on a dynamic IP and my hub shows this : Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 19/02/19

Thanks

Paul

Paul_T
Hooked

So I'm guessing from the lack of any positive response that port forwarding with the Plusnet hub is a 100% total non-starter? I'm concluding that given the simplicity of the task 😞

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

There should be no problems at all using port forwarding on the Hub One. Exactly what ports are you trying to forward, and to what application? You've listed four completely different ports in your original post.

The site you are using to check if the port is open will only show as such if there is an application on your desktop that is actually listening and accepting traffic on the port in question. Setting up the port forwarding rule is only half of the equation. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

sharpener
Hooked

After days and days of searching on here and trying things out, including bob pullen's various suggestions, I found the best solution was to spend £100 on a new Netgear D6400 router. It has all the port forwarding capabilities I was looking for and they all work fine.

Paul_T
Hooked

@sharpener Thanks for the suggestion (😀) but I'd really rather not spend money just to forward one port for one game that may or not work that well (GTAV co-op for PC) when the hub has a port forwarding option. Thanks again for replying though.