cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Napoleon Total War

Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Napoleon Total War

I love plusnet, I hate this thomson wireless router.
Among other things, it won't let me connect to some of my games.
I am getting a "no response from host" error on 90% of multiplayer games. I have forwarded the ports, contacted the developers support and the community, of which other people are also having problems, it's not plusnets fault but i believe it to be the fault of the thomson router that plusnet provided me.
Forwarding the specific port range for the game has little effect, I also can't remove the "standard firewall" for the thomson wireless router, although that is unlikely to be the problem.
It has been four weeks now and I ask here as a last resort. My old netgear router with AOL ran these games fine, I have only started to experience the error after switching to Plusnet and its routers of which the wireless and wired versions both give me the error.
Here is my thread on the Creative Assembly forums:
http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/68926
Inside are pictures and descriptions of my attempts, today someone suggested that it may be due to IPv4 vs. IPv6 compatibilty. I have not come across this before.
Could someone suggest to me a router that is compatible with Plusnet (with static IP) and what router and settings you have if you can play this game online without any trouble!
Thanks very much,
Tom.
17 REPLIES 17
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Napoleon Total War

Hello tom,
The new rouer firmware was not backward compatible to IPv4.

Shouldnt be because of an IPv4/IPv6 conflict, thats for sure. whoever told him that is talking absolute  Lips_are_sealed Lips_are_sealed Lips_are_sealed --- all devices must use IPv4 because thats the current standard, we're moving ON to IPv6 - virtually no ISPs use IPv6 (except for elaborate april fools jokes) and ip addresses which take the form x.x.x.x are v4 - so dont worry about that ....
First things first - Can you go here please - Plusnet firewall
Plusnet has a firewall their side too - you can turn this off and it should stop blocking any ports (that is, if it is switched on ofc)
Secondly: you are opening a wild amount of ports for that game - thats ridiculous. Go to the table someone put in, and do ONLY those ports.
Thirdly: "Wolf" the machine on the network, does the MAC address coinside with the one on the machine that you want to play N:TW on?
What antivirus are you using?
What firewalls are installed on your pc? (including windows)
Thanks
Matt
Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply :L
My broadband firewall on plus.net is set to off.
The router one is stuck on standard,
I am using AVG antivirus and for my tests have the windows firewall off.
At the moment the only ports I have open are the last set from the table. ( I reset to factory settings a while before and it wiped the previous attempts )
These are the only ports I have attempted to forward:

from the table suggested here:

#  Enable Service Name Action LAN Server IP address WAN Users Log
 1   steam1 ALLOW always 192.168.0.2 Any Always
 2   napoleon2 ALLOW always 192.168.0.2 Any Always
 3   napoleon ALLOW always 192.168.0.2 Any Always
 Default Yes Any BLOCK always -- Any Never
Service Table  
  #  Name Type Ports (TCP or UDP)
 1 napoleon TCP/UDP 27015..27030  
 2 napoleon2 TCP/UDP 49181  
 3 steam1 TCP/UDP 4380  
 4 steam2 TCP/UDP 27000..27050  
They are assigned to 'Wolf' which is this machine and the only computer on my network at the moment.
Thanks for letting me know about the IPv4/6 thing, it's getting to the point where I am getting a little paranoid as to what is causing this problem.
whiteshadow
Dabbler

I had the same problem at first, sent off for a new router and same problem. this might sound a bit weird but do you have a "digisender" of any kind for sending wireless sky etc. for to the bedroom? mine turned out to be this, once i turned mine off I've never had any problems connecting to to the thompson router since, hope this helps.
Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Wow, Whiteshadow.  I had a different problem, it was that other computers could not connect to the router via wireless.
Your totally random and out of the blue comment fixed that problem!
I cannot thank you enough, I have been trying to solve it for almost an age.
Very happy ^_^
Now if only i could get napoleon total war to work Tongue
matt_2k34
Grafter

have you tried playing the game in 'off peak' hours to see if its the traffic shaping not picking up the game correctly?
Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Yes, last night i tested it a few times between 12 AM to 8AM, Same problem.
It is not listed under the names of plusnet recognised names however.
matt_2k34
Grafter

have you got another router you could try instead of the thomson?
it might not be listed, but that doesnt mean it is not defined (thats why i asked Wink )
Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

The wired and wireless versions of the plusnet thomson routers don't work. I have a netgear router but it won't let me connect to the net with it now that I am on plusnet.
I never had this problem with the old router, it would be great if i could get it working again. Perhaps i am putting in the wrong info in settings. Are there any other routers that anyone could reccomend?
matt_2k34
Grafter

if you got the netgear from your previous ISP, it could well be locked to them.
Might be worth digging around the net for the model number and seeing if you can 'flash' it
If you look in your thomson, you can see all the details that you should be putting into the netgear Smiley
i use a Billion BiPAC 7800N - as do at least 2 other users on the forum, and im very happy with it.
Since using this router, ive had a stable ADSL 444 / 4581 kbps
Which before with a dlink was 3000~3200 and with Thomson was 3800~4900.
you got a friend you could borrow one off? - ive kept my thomson as an emergency backup Smiley but i dont forsee getting irritated with this router atm Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

im struggling to see where this problem could be arising from.
also struggling to find anyone else having a similar / same issue...
At which point does it fail to do MP ? are you trying to connect to others games ? or are people trying to connect to you ?... if its you connecting to them it could be that they havent set something up correctly - therefore you cant connect to them Tongue
Tempted to buy it as ive just found it for 15 squid (if you've seen it cheapet let me know). but i dont have a thomson :L Get it sorted n ill come kick your backside Smiley
ive got MTW,MTW2,RTW (favourite :D) + Barb invasion, ETW... =]

*edit* just bought it from game for £14.98 Smiley ahhh if only you hadnt tempted me Smiley lol
Toffeegerbil
Dabbler

Cheesy
I would love to play with you. (Not an inuendo)
But i still cant :<
Im looking into getting a new router at the moment, but the problem seems to be widespread on CA's forums, I should find out what routers they are using to try and find a common problem.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Sorry for the slow reply, forum reshuffle messed up me getting emails.
i honestly dont know what it could be tbh Smiley im doing alot of work atm (uni deadline is end of the month) so hopefully in May ill have some free time - when i can check it Smiley
IncubusDragon

I'm in the process of trying to get my Napoleon working tip-top and still find myself getting message "unable to connect with host"... 
On a Total War forum  ( http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php?504-quot-No-Response-From-Host-quot-am-I-doing-something-w... ), someone has suggested to me that I change router to a HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO LTD, EchoLife HG520b.  I've still to check it out though.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Why Huh what would that do?
also:
HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES CO LTD, EchoLife HG520b.  I've still to check it out though.

Its the router that TalkTalk supplied about 2 years ago, its a hunk of junk and about as stable as a fatman on a surfboard.
What has been tried ? i currently havent tried going online with N:TW (time constraints) but if people are still struggling i can have a look too see what results i get.