cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag/ping problem

callumx
Grafter

Lag/ping problem

Hi, over the past week or so i have been getting a load of lag on games, i don't know what it can be? any idea's?
15 REPLIES 15
callumx
Grafter

Re: Lag/ping problem

And also my d/l speed is going at 9.13kb a sec.. wtf?:S
ianp

Same here  Sad  my games are becoming unplayable. It only seems to occur at peak times.
If I renew my IP address on the router - it goes fast again for a couple of mins then goes slow.
The strange thing is this seems to have started occuring since PlusNet brought out the gaming package which I am not on.
Could it be because they are detecting this and my traffic is getting severly downgraded?
James
Grafter

Hi Ian,
If you use something called Wireshark, you can identify how your traffic is being prioritsed.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark_video.shtml
ianp

Used online game most of last night and had no probs at all.
The slowdown does seem erratic. Can go a couple of days without it happening, then it will do it for a few days in a row.
I will do a wireshark capture tonight.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Ian,
If you use something called Wireshark, you can identify how your traffic is being prioritsed.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark_video.shtml

I have noticed this as well playing BF2142. Recently I keep getting lag spikes of up to 500ms  on some servers which were previously fine at peak times. Also when pinging bbc.co.uk at peak time it used to be stable at around 20ms and it now spikes up to 40ms or more if you leave a continious ping.
I am on the old premier 1 account and until recently gaming has been really stable with pings around 20ms on UK servers and stable pings on servers abroad. Now some UK servers have lag spikes and alot of ones abroad do for bf2142. This has a negative impact on gaming and if it keeps up for another month or so I will start looking for another ISP as my friends on different ISP's don't get the same issues on the servers I do. This does not affect all servers.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,
if you want to give it a go here is one of the servers which at the moment has a constant 16-20ms ping in game and is very stable. Last night during peaktime it kept lag spiking up to about 500ms which made the game unplayable. I have not had any issues at all until the last couple of months or so and it is not every server but just some but always the same ones. Everyone else on the server has normal pings. Below is an example.
BF2142
Money gamers squadplay
193.33.186.120:17567
Other people on the server last night did not get the high pings and lag spikes I was getting.
Hope that helps.
kil2k
Dabbler

I'm getting the same problem on certain games. Usually play Shadowbane, and the lag has never been worse than anyone else appears to experience, but recently i've tried Wurm Online and Regnum Online, both of which were causing me major issues.
First there whould be no lag whatsoever, then for a couple of hours the lag would be unbearable. After that it would clear again for no reason, then lag again. I know for a fact that it's not my PC [Q6600 Quad core CPU, 768Mb 8800 GTX, 4GB RAM, 10k RPM Raptors...], and at  first I thought it may have been a problem with Wurm Online. The fact that the exact same issue happened in Regnum Online leads me to believe that it has to be an issue with PlusNet.
I submitted the details of both the gaming servers to PlusNet.
Not sure if it means anything, but i'm also on the old Premier 1 package.
Michael2day

Playing COD4 and Ping was average when compaired to others online, then after an hour the game became unplayable, I was then kicked off the server  Cry
I am also Old Premier 1 customer ( For over two years now ). Thinks about looking for better service ? Plusnet has been good but needs to stay that way to keep customers.
At least I am not alone  Smiley
badwolf
Grafter

Yeh, I've been having lag lately on BF2 on the PS2. Trouble is you cant really tell on the PS2 what it is - could be EA's carpy servers, glitchers lagging the servers, dodgy transit.. anything.
Is "Wireshark" useful for consoles or can it only be used with PC's?
Prod_Man
Grafter

Consoles are computers, you can run OS's on PS2/3.
It wont help in this case because once you run an OS you can't run the Game.
Only way around that would be:
a HUB connected in conjunction to your ADSL on LAN,
intercepting packets over the LAN on the HUB with a PC,
(it doesn't operate like a Switch does, it braudcasts packets instead of routing them)
Hope that can get you somewhere.
Jim,
Heldark

Also had some lag issues over the past couple of weeks around peak times. Ventrilo pings at 1k+, EQ2 drops to 5-10fps. The spikes are regular but intermittant, several speed tests at these times came up with a 3Mbps+ connection  which is not unreasonable being out in the sticks at peak time. Any suggestions most appreciated. Note I have had no problems in 6 months at plus net and nothing has changed in my setup. Ventrilo and EQ2 are run on separate computers.
James
Grafter

Hi Heldark,
We've had some network balance problems recently, notably when BT dropped one of our centrals.  Balance should come back naturally over the next few days, which should hopefully result in your lag improving.
Heldark

Thanks James, nice quick and honest response is good to see. If you guys can keep the quality of service I have seen over the first six months I wont be moving. Give BT a kick up the ass.
sp107

I also have the Prem 1 account and BF 2142 has been dropping connection to master server or my pings go from 35 to 800 after about 5 mins play. I reconnect and 5 mins later drops again.
Are PN trying to get rid of the old Prem 1 accounts because our off peak (free) usage is 16 hours a day not 8 as in the new deals.
Never used to have problems like this until the "Gaming" BBYWP started, looks like the people who have been loyal to PN are now second class.