cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet been ddossed when gaming.

craigy1996
Hooked

Internet been ddossed when gaming.

Good Day, I have been advised by plusnet customer support to make a post here or browse through the forum to see if there is anything that could assist me on resolving my current issue. Below i will explain the current issue i am having.

When playing on Xbox one there is a current problem now with other gamers / users booting your internet offline to gain an unfair advantage to win the game. They do this by pulling your IP and then hitting it offline with a booter. I have asked Plusnet support if they could assist me in getting this issue fix however they don't seem to be trained on it, the only way i can see is if i get an IPV6 or VPN however neither are available with Plusnet and a VPN cannot be used on xbox as far as i know.

I have been with Plusnet for 3 years now and i can say i had issue at the beginning however after multiple calls and engineers ect the issue was resolved and i have got the correct internet speeds and it has been reliable however i think the main issue here is the customer support saying they have not been trained and cannot assist you. 

I would like to know if anyone knows of anything that can prevent my issue of been booted offline, if you need more information then please just ask me on this post. Please also do not as for the info on how they get the IP and Boot because i do not want to be part of the problem and giving others the access to hit some other poor person offline and ruining their game. 

16 REPLIES 16
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Internet been ddossed when gaming.

I've just done a bit of research on this.
It looks embaressingly easy to set up a DDOS attack, but it is illegal.
You need Plusnet to do some work on thier firewall setup to protect your connection. Exactly what I don't know.
Most of the links that google lead too want you to buy into thier VPN. That should work on PN, other VPN networks do.
Sorry I can be more help 🙂
craigy1996
Hooked

I appreciate you replying how ever plusnet are telling me to get a static IP however that would not resolve the issue because the IP will then be the same and they will keep hitting the same IP. There is somethings on the router admin that say VPN and DNS Servers ect but they cannot even assist me with that due to no training. 

So it looks like i am at a loss of what to do unfortunately, Xbox do not assist you they say it is your ISP and then the game provider also doesn't assist you they also say it is down to the ISP and then the ISP in the case Plusnet they have no idea. 

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

How about a new router @craigy1996 ?

FW_Defence.png

The above is from my DrayTek 2925.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@craigy1996 - what router are you using and what evidence do you have/what leads you to believe you're subject to a DDOS?
Most of our routers will have basic DDOS protection as part of their inbuilt firewall.
There is also a server side firewall you can enable on our website that may help. It's not going to play particularly nicely with certain online games though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

craigy1996
Hooked

Hello there, the router i have is the Plusnet hub one.

You asked what proof do i have? 

1. There is a website where you can search your xbox gamertags and it will provide you with the recent IP that has been pulled.

2. As soon as i join the game after a round or 2 my ping will go from 20 to 1000+ and the only way to stop is to wait for the boot to end or reset the router.

Do you know how to add the system firewall? 

craigy1996
Hooked

Thank you for the information i am not sure if they provide another router. Otherwise they would have offered it to me right? 

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

The only real answer is a vpn.
This would need to be setup by each game company provider, however the cost would be a problem. In order to work properly I wonder if a "game" router would be required?
craigy1996
Hooked

I am unsure on what routers plusnet provide i know that they cannot get an IVP6 but they can get IPV4 that is the only way i know or pay £15 a month to get a blacklist on the website.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@craigy1996 wrote:

1. There is a website where you can search your xbox gamertags and it will provide you with the recent IP that has been pulled.

The fact somebody can establish your IP is not evidence you are being targeted. It's fairly trivial to establish the IP of somebody you're gaming with. Doesn't necessarily mean it's being used for nefarious purposes though.

2. As soon as i join the game after a round or 2 my ping will go from 20 to 1000+ and the only way to stop is to wait for the boot to end or reset the router.

So, it seems this is the main reason you have to believe you're subject to a DDoS. When you reboot the router, there's a good chance you will be assigned the same IP address. If you are, then I would expect the problem to remain. Not to go away.

When it's happening, try opening a command window on a Windows machine and try running an extended ping to somewhere by doing something like this:-

ping -t pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

And check the response times. Are these also in the 1000ms+ levels? If not, then I doubt you're looking at a DDoS. A DDoS would likely affect all traffic going in and out of your router.

Do you know how to add the system firewall? 

Log into our website and look around for the Broadband Firewall. As mentioned though, there's a chance enabling this will break aspects of your gaming entirely, particularly anything that requires you to host a match.

Is the gaming machine connected wired or wireless out of interest? If wireless, then it would be helpful to establish whether or not you encounter the problem when wired. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

craigy1996
Hooked

Hello, So in the game i will be sat on 9 to 20 ping when the "attack" happens i will instantly go to 300 to 1000 ping and then it will boot me from the game and disconnect my internet from everything until i reset the router. Like you said if i turn the router off i will keep the same IP however if i pin hole reset it i will get a new IP.

There is 2 things you can use one if a sniffer and then the other stores the IP's on a website. I can try run the command below however this is the first time i am hearing about it so thank you. I will also look on the website and see if the firewall helps my issue. 

Thank you.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@craigy1996 wrote:

Hello, So in the game i will be sat on 9 to 20 ping when the "attack" happens i will instantly go to 300 to 1000 ping and then it will boot me from the game and disconnect my internet from everything until i reset the router. Like you said if i turn the router off i will keep the same IP however if i pin hole reset it i will get a new IP.

That's not how it works. Factory resetting the router has zero bearing on your IP assignment. You will be assigned the same IP on reboot unless it has already been handed out to somebody else. Based on this - it's the length of time you are physically offline that influences whether or not you will get a fresh assignment.

Assuming I'm looking at the right account - Since October 4th, your actual Internet connection has only been dropped three times. You've had the same IP for over two days. Prior to that is was seven days, prior to that it was fourteen.

There is 2 things you can use one if a sniffer and then the other stores the IP's on a website. I can try run the command below however this is the first time i am hearing about it so thank you. I will also look on the website and see if the firewall helps my issue. 

OK, let me know how you get on. Whilst you could be getting targeted, I'm just trying to avoid you barking up the wrong tree.

You haven't advised whether or not your gaming machine/console is relying on a wireless connection?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

craigy1996
Hooked

Sorry about that I am on a wired connection. 

Second it isn't only me that is ddossed in the game there is my team mates and some times the other team and it is a big issue with the game right now even the company know about it. 

When i said about the reset of the router changed my if that is correct it did because i was on the phone to the support team with plusnet and he said that i should have a dynamic IP however it was stuck on static so he changed it from dynamic to static and then changed it back and asked me to pinhole reset my router and then my IP would change and it did. The reason i have not been hit offline recently is because i have paid for a blacklist on the sniffer/website so the users cannot find my IP however i don't want this to be a permanent solution because i am paying £15 for that and only using 1 service from it as the others i do not want to be apart of which are the IP pullers and geo search. 

I am unsure what account you are looking at but the username should be Craigy1996 for the account. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Admittedly I'm not familiar with the blacklist service you're describing but it sounds pretty questionable to me. I was looking at the right account.

If you join a party/chat lobby then anyone in said session will be able to get your IP with a little detective work. Likewise for any games that still rely on P2P connections between participating players. I'm not sure how any third party service can prevent that id I'm honest unless we're talking VPN's? Huh

I'm also not sure that visiting the site you say is partly responsible for your issues is a wise idea. They'll see your IP the minute you hit their servers.

Your connection looks clean at the time of writing and it doesn't seem to be the target of anything untoward. It would be interesting to see if this were to change with this service you're talking about disabled.

If the problem is abundant with the game you're talking about, then it's probably for them to resolve (or for you to change how you're interacting with certain online teams/players). There's only so much that can be done by the ISP. Going for a VPN that isn't going to have an effect on your gaming quality, and can be applied at the network layer, is probably going to require investment both in a VPN provider and possibly a router/network device that will allow you to configure it correctly.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

craigy1996
Hooked

So to give you a bit more information there is a website that stores all the IP pulled from players you can then search any account and if the IP has been sniffed then you will get shown them. 

The other app i use to blacklist my account i bought that because i was sick of been hit offline and unable to play a game so now with me purchasing that when users search my gamertag on xbox it will just sasy i am blacklisted and they will not be able to view the IP. 

As for a VPN i am looking around to see if i can get one on xbox. I do not know much i am just explaining what i have been told and know, i know they cannot pull anyones IP that is IPV6 but they can get IPV4. If there is a way for us to chat in private then i can provide the links so you can view the websites i am on about. I just don't want to publicly post them here.